Author Topic: Master/My Fader V3 Wants and Speculation  (Read 29108 times)

Ampli

• Knight
Re: Master/My Fader V3 Wants and Speculation
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2014, 11:24:40 AM »
Nope neither are right
What i did try to say that they  make the main geq in to a stereo eq and be able to set the left and right different
And yes for vocals i use the split cable,

thedrums

• Youngling
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2014, 03:48:56 PM »
Key filter on noise gates for frequency selective gating.

Thanks RR. That was my suggestion. It wasn't getting any love but is a very useful tool when dealing with drum mics.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2014, 04:56:29 PM »
Nope neither are right
What i did try to say that they  make the main geq in to a stereo eq and be able to set the left and right different
And yes for vocals i use the split cable,
So, you are suggesting being able to unlink the L&R into two mono outs with separate EQ? I suggested that a while ago, I'd use if for the mains with a HPF on the right and subs with a LPF on the left. Should be easy enough to implement since they already let us do that with a pair of auxes.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 04:58:00 PM by RoadRanger »

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2014, 12:30:06 AM »
If this idea is already here, please forgive my post. Admin please delete if it that is the case.

Here goes my 2 cents worth... How hard would it be to add digital gains into the software along with the existing hardware gains already in the chassis? Digital would mean that once gains are set, they could be stored under snapshots for instant recall, especially if the knobs/pots get mucked up either in transit, or by itchy fingers.

In reality I'm probably off base about a software upgrade to address this one area. It may have to wait for an upgrade to the current hardware/next generation of DL Mixers. Hope springs eternal!  :P
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2014, 01:08:53 AM »
How hard you ask? Impossible is the answer. They are not digitally programmable gains. It is what it is.

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2014, 09:21:56 AM »
If this idea is already here, please forgive my post. Admin please delete if it that is the case.

Here goes my 2 cents worth... How hard would it be to add digital gains into the software along with the existing hardware gains already in the chassis? Digital would mean that once gains are set, they could be stored under snapshots for instant recall, especially if the knobs/pots get mucked up either in transit, or by itchy fingers.

In reality I'm probably off base about a software upgrade to address this one area. It may have to wait for an upgrade to the current hardware/next generation of DL Mixers. Hope springs eternal!  :P

To expand on JL's slightly brusque answer, the gain's set the gain structure so input levels are as high as possible but without overloading the analogue mic preamps. The signal then passes on to the A-D converters. Any digital level control has to happen after the D-As so is unable to optimise the signal leading to clipping if the gain is too high or poor signal to noise if it's too low. Digital gains use a digitally controlled analogue pre amp with some kind of hardware DCA in the mic preamp, the DL1608 does not have this hardware.

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2014, 03:18:07 PM »
Yeah, what he said.

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2014, 12:15:35 AM »
Thank you all for your excellent information to my wish for digital gains. I kinda thought I was hoping for something that would require a possible major hardware update. Oh well!!! Maybe in the future??
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2014, 02:10:18 PM »
So, here's a real noob question. How often does Mackie release updates to Master Fader? I have been Googling, but no info out there.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2014, 04:35:38 PM »
That's totally up to them.  The last one was probably released a bit early because future updates require ios 7.x.  They've had two very nice software upgrades since I bought mine in September.  Both involved improvements in function that I wasn't expecting.  I really have gotten to appreciate that mixer.   And for those who have been following, airplay is working now.  (Problem was probably because I didn't know how to turn it on in ios 7.  I do now.  Very slick but not intuitive and not very Apple either.  I'm used to running into their functions by accident, this one will never be one of those.)

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2014, 01:07:26 PM »
Wynnd;

Thank you for your reply. Yes, it seems that there is no real pattern to updates to Master Fader. I know that they do address requests from their user request website and they have rectified quite a lot of issues over time. So I guess we have to just keep our fingers crossed for some real cool goodies to come along in the near future.

I seem to be tripping over the occasional new function/features too, but as you say, some are real puzzlers. This also could be put down to my IOS noobness.  :facepalm:  I just have to keep plugging along and learning. "Google is your friend" I do really like my DL and plan to use it for a long time. :)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 01:14:10 PM by Keyboard Magic »

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2014, 07:28:47 PM »
Until I wanted to use airplay, I was always able to figure out how to do  anything important.  (I've been a higher end user since 1988.)   This was one case where reading a help sheet was required.  At this point of my life, changing computers will be slowing down and the "senior moments" will start coming faster and with greater frequency.

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2014, 09:56:52 PM »
How about adding a recording level control? It may be possible to add this to Master Fader. At least it would make the DL a little more polished even if it is only 2 track recording. For serious recording I would personally use my laptop, USB audio interface and DAW. I bought my DL to use for live audio mixing and am very happy with it. Built in recording is neither here nor there for me personally.  8)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2014, 03:33:13 PM »
How about something within their reach such as taking the four pair of stereo channels (L&R, and the aux pairs) and make them assignable to the iPad channel. That would avoid some shuffling of output usage. Or the poor mans DCA by taking the layers and presenting the main faders of each layer on one display page.
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2014, 05:04:02 PM »
I can see where having the master faders for the Aux's and LR on the same page might be useful.