Author Topic: Master/My Fader V3 Wants and Speculation  (Read 29109 times)

Keyboard Magic

• Master
Re: Master/My Fader V3 Wants and Speculation
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2014, 06:06:24 PM »
Even though I don't have the DL, is the next update going to be 2.2.x? Or will it actually be called version 3? Just curious.  ;)

"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2014, 07:13:23 PM »
I want the ability to assign a software button to a bluetooth keyboard.   I saw a place where that would have been useful last week.   Software switchs require you look at them to make sure you hit them.  Hardware switchs allow you to place your finger on a button without pushing it.  Then you can watch for the visual cue from stage for what the button is supposed to do.  This doesn't seem complicated to me.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2014, 07:14:17 PM »
Mackie will name the next update whatever they choose to name it.  We will all find out together.

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2014, 08:51:02 PM »
I want Mackie to implement HUI (or other midi protocol) control of Master Fader (not the DL1608 itself just the MF software running on an iPad) so I can use a generic midi control surface to add physical faders to the iPad.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2014, 04:11:21 AM »
Great suggestion.  The reason I'm more inclined to do a bluetooth keyboard, is that many of us have the bluetooth keyboard already.  (Hate typing with the ipad's screen.)  But I haven't really looked at midi interfaces for the ipad.  They may be a great approach.  (Will check out some of the options.)

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2014, 07:20:50 AM »
The problem with that is that there aren't any Bluetooth fader surfaces out there but there are several midi devices with faders and/or buttons and the protocols are well developed.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2014, 11:58:31 AM »
Interesting, but if we were wanting to have physical controls, we should have purchased a different mixer.  That said, I can now appreciate the differences.  I do enough general PA jobs that being able to take the ipad and mix from the audience is a real pleasure.  The fact that the mixer stack is about 11 pounds lighter doesn't hurt at my age either.  (Really ought to get rid of that Hafler P1500.  Convection cooled, it's pretty heavy.)   I'm still looking for someone to buy my 100' 16 channel snake.  I running sound for a senior's variety show today and tomorrow.  I considered using the DL, but in this case the physical faders of the StudioLive mixer that's in the auditorium has been the best approach.  (Lots of short performances by a bunch of wireless mics that I don't want the performers turning off and on.)

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2014, 06:31:28 PM »
I would have bought a different mixer (and may still do so) but the object was to lose the multicore as for many of my gigs it is nigh on impossible to run one and stay with H&S guidelines. There isn't a mixer out there right now with a separate physical control surface linked to the brain by wifi. You can have remote mixing by iPad or laptop (with or without faders on stage) or you have to run a cat5 (much more H&S friendly than a traditional analogue snake but still not ideal) and pay for an additional stagebox to get your mic pre's onstage. WiFi should be capable of a couple of stereo channels each way in addition to the control data for talkback, solo or maybe stereo backing tracks. An X32 Control, basically an X32 Compact with just talkback, stereo line in and stereo return for the headphones, connected to an X32 Rack via WiFi would be brilliant. Come on Mackie, lets have a DLcontrol with with built in wifi and 17 faders mimicking the MF control surface, for all the other functions I'm quite happy with the iPad. It would have to be under £500 though (Berry have two on the way, both, admittedly with only 9 faders, the X-Touch Compact for $399, and the X-Touch with LCD scribble strips and lots of other bells and whistles for $600).

The DL1608 is what it is though and I still love it  :D
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 06:34:09 PM by sam.spoons »

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2014, 10:19:41 AM »
Regarding a wireless remote control for the dl

Are you thinking of a unit that clamps over an iPad and uses its screen for stuff, but has physical sliders too?

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2014, 10:26:06 AM »
Regarding feature requests,

Wouldn't it be nice, if airturn could be used to mute fx,

Wouldn't it be nice if mixers like the dl, could tie a song selection to a scene selection, basically a dedicated playback  music app exclusive for certain mixers, just as exclusive as the control apps are.

Kev
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 10:42:59 AM by Kev tyler »

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2014, 03:03:23 PM »
I use Airturn for "My Lyric Book", brilliant.

My idea for a wifi remote surface for MF was that Mackie would implement HUI or some such midi protocol for Master Fader and I could use a midi surface (Berry BFC2000 maybe) to control faders in MF on the iPad. Behringer have the X-Touch in the pipeline which can control the X32 range directly (it even has built in wifi and LCD scribble strips) but it's tailored to recording not live use so is not ideal.

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2014, 03:59:47 PM »
Hi Sam

Who knows what the x touch will do? It's another product in coming soon land,

Personally i thought the touch Compact with some Audio gubbins built in would have made the platform for  a better product than  the x18,

Just like the mute core, Another so near but so far product IMHO

:lol:

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2014, 04:21:37 PM »
There are good photos of the X-Touch (and X-T Compact) on the berry website. It has a large section of the real estate devoted to DAW control buttons/encoders/display none of which is useful for live mixing. It may be possible to reassign the buttons but it's a very inelegant solution. I'd be happy with 8 or 16 faders, each with LCD scribbles, a single encoder and, say, 4 assignable buttons plus a small, one fader, master section at the remote surface. Most channel functions (eq/dynamics/fx) are easily (and often better) done on the iPad it's mainly the physical faders you miss. If they could add in a couple of stereo inputs, talkback and phones out linked to the main mixer by wifi that would be icing for sure. Realistically, when I get my X32, a couple of BCF2000s to do the faders (especially if they'd do it via the iPad app, not available ATM I suspect) with the iPad for everything else should be a workable solution (or I could just buy an S16 or two  ::))
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 04:23:21 PM by sam.spoons »

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2014, 11:07:25 PM »
It would be really nice if the next version of Master Fader would come out soon and Mackie could fix the current issues plaguing a lot of DL owners with, say, a well thought out firmware update. No big UI changes (maybe a few updates), just remedy the immediate problems. Not too challenging for Mackie.  ???

Alas, I get the sneaking feeling that the next big release of Master Fader will coincide with the release of the new DL32, unfortunately.  ::)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 11:18:13 PM by Keyboard Magic »
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2014, 10:08:42 AM »
I have to be honest

I am really put off buying a dl now after reading here, it's ok that a problem has arisen with the noise, but if they can't fix it, well

I am going to wait.

Kev