Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

Future = IOS7 Goodbye iPad First Gen

<< < (4/5) > >>

Wynnd:
I was so used to hearing people complain about their computers being obsolete as soon as they bought them.  I currently using a 4 year old MacBook Pro still on it's original battery and I can still use it for about 7 hours on a single charge.  (Try that with a new PC, let alone consider attempting it with a 4 year old one.  Did I mention I upgraded the hard drive to a somewhat thirstier Momentus XT hybrid?)  Anyway, my point is you don't have to upgrade.  My DL is already more than I ever expected with the few Master Fader upgrades I've gotten already.  I'm running an ipad 2 using ios 7.1.   That means that at least the next couple of MF upgrades should run just fine.  My Mother used her first computer for 10 years.  At least one friend also had hers that long.    In 10 years, I think I'll be either retiring or only volunteering for groups I belong to.  So I suspect you'll be OK because the ipad 2 will run ios 7.x just fine and that's the requirement for the next version or MF.  If you haven't upgraded the ipad, it's probably getting close to time to upgrade.  (If you're a PC guy, you might not know that the ipad updates through Itunes.  It also backs up through Itunes, so even if you don't want Itunes on your PC, you really need it there for the ipad.) 

WK154:

--- Quote from: Wynnd on March 18, 2014, 10:26:05 PM --- If you're a PC guy, you might not know that the ipad updates through Itunes.  It also backs up through Itunes, so even if you don't want Itunes on your PC, you really need it there for the ipad.

--- End quote ---
Actually you can quite happily live on your iCloud even for backup as long as you have a WiFi to the Internet. You can off course spend all your $ at the iTunes and App stores and never need a PC for updates. PC guys don't want to pollute their real computer with spy/crippleware like iTunes.

Wynnd:
Don't know about spyware, but I've seen a lot of irrational hatred of Apple and their products.  I only hate having to fix things and Apple products don't have the quantity of software failures that Microsoft does.  (MS products keep getting better and have had acceptable failure rates since XP.  Still more than Apple's OS-X)  Hardware failure rates are about the same.  (I used to be a PC/Network tech and CNA.)

WK154:
Irrational and hatred are pretty strong words to defend a company looking to restrict information for their own greedy gains. You did work in the IT industry that stands for Information Technology not Information Repression. You also lost track of time as I remember XP and OS9 were the competition. You really don't want to compare these two. A 11% market share and dropping is not inspiring and I would sell my shares of Apple stock.

Wynnd:
OS-9 was pretty good for a task-switching operating system.  I was using BeOS back then.  That was worlds ahead of anything else out there.  True multitasking, multimedia with a file system that would directly address 16 Peta-Bytes of drive space.  (I had to look up what that meant.  I still have yet to see a peta-byte drive in a store.  Probably happen before I die.)   I was running BeOS on a 400 mhz Pentium II machine, playing MP3s from the drive, running Seti-At-Home in the background, downloading software and installing it and surfing the web, all without a single hickup from the music player.  (SetiAtHome would peg the processor at 100%.  Windows version only ran during the screen saver.)  I had Windows 98 on the same machine, and it never would have come close to that level of performance.  (besides taking about 5 times as long to boot, having to reboot after every software install, and it's MP3 player skipping under the load without seti-at-home running.)   I didn't remember OS-9 and XP being available at the same time.  By the way, BeOS's journaling file system's advances are mostly built into OS-X now.  (But OS-X built onto Next's version of FreeBSD still can't address 16 Peta-bytes directly.  It will probably get that when drives start getting closer to that big.)  BeOS was doing this in 1995 and the second OS to do it was OS-x in 2002.  They were worlds ahead and designed for a 5 processor box originally.  They would have run rings around MS and OS-X even today, if they weren't killed mostly by MS.  (BeOS won't run with the massive RAM that all machines run today.  Probably wouldn't have been a difficult problem to fix, but the company got purchased for their programming expertise by Palm.  Wonder where those guys are today?)  I do have to eventually sell my Apple stock.  I've sold 3/4 of it over the years to diversify. Being that I bought most of it at $20 a share before they split 2 for 1, the stock has been very good to me.  Jobs dying and no real apparent heir to guide the company into the next big thing has me worried about their move into the future.  They are big enough to probably outlive me, but the ability to out think the market may be gone.  Jobs with all of his quirks, was able to see the potential of nearly anything.  (And boy, did he have quirks.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version