Author Topic: Good experiences  (Read 4761 times)

Wynnd

• Master
Good experiences
« on: March 06, 2014, 02:17:50 PM »
Partly to counter all the complaints and to highlight good experiences I thought there ought to be discussions or at least blogs of things going right.

Last Tuesday, I provided sound for my political party's caucus.  (That's what we do in Colorado.)  It was the first time that I actually used my iphone and My Fader program.   I had set up a fairly tight compressor on the output. The person walking us through the needed procedures was a bit mic shy.  This is a political event and politicians are an unpredictable bunch.  When the politician who is running for Congressional District 6 came in to talk to us for a bit, he's not mic shy at all.  Without the compressor it would have been too loud.  (He's been on my systems in the past multiple times.) 

Just a note about My Fader on the iphone.  Pretty small screen, I'd rather use it on an ipod mini.  Worked fine, but it also looked like the phone takes a serious power drain.  I never shut the auto turn off off on the phone like I do with the ipad.  Before the caucus started, I got an incoming phone call from my Wife.  (I never ignore calls from her.)  that was a bad experience.  In the future I'll just call them back after shutting My Fader off.   

Good experience.  Was using EV ZXA1 pole mounted speakers.  (With a DriveRack PX between the mixer and speakers.) No feedback issues. About 30 people attended from numerous precincts.   (I do a lot of political functions.)

Greg C.

• Forty-Two
  • Knight
    • Cameron Pro Audio
Re: Good experiences (ZXA1)
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 06:01:32 PM »
Was using EV ZXA1 pole mounted speakers.  (With a DriveRack PX between the mixer and speakers.)

The EV ZXA1 is an amazing little speaker. I've been utterly impressed by it's size to output ratio on many occasions. And it weighs almost nothing. I wish they had a 12" version or even a 10". The ZXA5 is pretty impressive too, but it's 3x the price and size. I'm surprised EV doesn't have a box in between. I'd buy a bunch.
Procrastinators of the World, Contemplate Uniting!

Wynnd

• Master
Re: Good experiences
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 07:53:51 PM »
I would think that amp would drive a 10 or 12 inch speaker.  But then there are all those that have 1000 watt amps.  It's all one upman ship.

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 08:56:25 AM »
The competition (Yamaha DXR 8 and QSC K8, at least) are all Bi-Amped, (700 and 1000 watts continuous respectively with the K8/DXR8). The ZXA1 appears to have a single power amp (at least their's no claim of two amps in the specs).

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 09:34:27 AM »
Got that wrong.  The ZXA1s are bi-amped.  So I'm figuring 400 watts on the woofer and very heavily controlled 400 watts for the horn.  They are quite flat in frequency response.  (The subs, not so much.)  Just looking at the amps, they look stereo.  (Yea, I opened them up.) 

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 09:40:40 AM »
From one of their sales brochures - The ZxA1-90 loudspeaker is powered by an integrated 800W, bi-amp module.

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 11:39:32 AM »
Fair enough, I didn't find that looking at the website. ::)

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 12:22:46 PM »
I'm quite happy with mine.  If they aren't loud enough, then the band is too loud for my tastes.  (And then some.)

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 12:55:41 PM »
I use 3 x Yamaha DXR10s for monitors, plenty loud enough for anything i'll ever do, as you say, if they ain't loud enough the the band are too loud. I also have an Alto Truesonic TS110A for when I need 4 monitors (and will buy another when I next get a gig that needs 5 mixes), not as good as the DXRs but still very good indeed and half the price ant £220 in the UK.

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2014, 02:33:06 AM »
I've just done a gig playing the support slot and providing PA for (British folk trio) Faustus. The tech rider was pretty stringent but, given the small room (120 capacity) the SE was happy to go with my rig. He hadn't used the DL1608 before but during the soundcheck, gig and after, he was very complementary about the sound quality and ease of use of the DL (and particularly impressed with the sound of the PEQ and compressors). The band were very happy with the monitor sound and the gig (the first of the tour) was great (mind you, given that they are two guys from Bellowhead and Martin Carthy's squeeze box player I'd expect no less :-).

The rest of my rig (apart from the DL1608) is, 2xQSC K12s and 1xEV SbA750 for FOH and 3xYamaha DXR10s for monitors. Mics/DIs were Beta57 and SE-H1 vocal mics and Orchid Micro and Classic DIs.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 02:36:09 AM by sam.spoons »

yigba

• Padawan
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2014, 03:36:21 PM »
DL1608 has taken over for an Allen Heath MixWiz3 and other units - comps, effects - and I couldn't be happier. It goes to a BSS FDS336 then to Crown XLS1500, Ashly KLR2000 and into Bill Fitzmaurice Omnitop12's and T39's.

Light, loud and great sounding.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 03:42:36 PM by yigba »

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2014, 04:02:15 PM »
I didn't buy it because it was loud.  But I did replace a MixWiz 3 with it.  (Don't like loud, but if you didn't know that before, don't be surprised when you stumble into one of my rants.)

yigba

• Padawan
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2014, 09:35:46 PM »
By loud I was referring to the PA for its size. The DL1608 simply is the icing on the cake as far as I'm concerned.