Author Topic: Hello Music kiss o' death  (Read 7215 times)

CyberHippy

• Padawan
  • Bass Bass Bass
Hello Music kiss o' death
« on: March 10, 2014, 04:15:49 PM »
http://www.hellomusic.com/items/dl1608-16-channel

$898

Usually they have products that aren't moving off of shelves, at sometimes absurdly discounted prices. This price isn't that far below street - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/mackie-dl1608-16-channel-digital-live-sound-mixer-with-ipad-controler?condition=used has a used one for just a little less.

But the DL 1608 showing up there is a bad sign for the product in my opinion

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
Re: Hello Music kiss o' death
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 04:20:33 PM »
The description is for the DL806 - at that price a wicked ripoff. I can beleive the DL806 is a flop - who in their right mind wouldn't go a few extra $$ for the DL1608?

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 04:54:35 PM »
That's really weird.  Pictures for the DL1608 and description of a DL806L  (What is the second L for?)  It's not truly bait and switch but it's not very straight forward either.

CyberHippy

• Padawan
  • Bass Bass Bass
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 05:12:31 PM »
Yeah the description randomly switches between the two, I'd assume the URL is telling the truth about which one will be delivered.

Don't order from them if you have a time-crunch, it can take weeks for them to ship items.

However I keep an eye on them because I've gotten great deals on Heil mics and gaff tape through them.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 05:34:00 PM »
That's really weird.  Pictures for the DL1608 and description of a DL806L  (What is the second L for?)
Lightning connector version.

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 09:50:12 PM »
Ccs was selling the dl1608 for $799. Probably still are. This was several weeks ago. That was the first kiss of death.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 10:39:05 PM »
You really are drooling at the thought that the DL1608 will fail.  What exactly do you gain if it does and what do you lose if it doesn't?  Are you just wanting someone to say that you were right?  If that isn't coming from inside yourself and you need it, you just might never get it.  Then what?  Well, those are questions I don't need the answer to, but you might want to think about.  If it fails in the marketplace, I still have mine.  If it succeeds in the marketplace, I still have mine.  No difference in my life.  Just cause I don't have a Behringer, I'm not expecting to lose any jobs.  (People hire me for my abilities, not because of my equipment.  I'm trusted to provide what is needed and more, cause that is what I do.)

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 10:51:41 PM »
Hey Wynnd did I ever say I wanted the dl to fail? Maybe you should try to find me saying that before being a douche. Me using the term kiss of death was only in response to the op. And again, in that statement, I never said I wanted it to fail. I could care less. Find a post where is said the dl is not a great mixer too. I did once call it a piece of shit, but corrected myself by saying it was a piece of shit company not the mixer. I have no stock in the dl failing or succeeding. I could care less either way. You like to take a comment I made, change it to your liking, stretch it to its limits, and then be a douche about it. Yes I now have an x32 rack, AND I now own an x32 compact too. And yes my mixer(s) are much better than yours. But yours does what you want. Good for you. When I had the dl it did what I wanted too. Minus one huge thing that I could no longer live without. Programable gains is why I switched. But I guess if I own a behringer then I must want the mackie dl to fail. At least that's what you'll get out of it.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 12:17:36 AM »
Mackie has definitely had it's up and down.  Neither they or Behringer has had Allen Heath's reputation.  (Might just be my perception.  I've been wrong before.)  Sorry to have gotten the wrong impression from you.  (Or anyone else for that matter.)  Was not my intention.  Quite a few forumites from Harmony-central have commented that the digital mixers have people spending a lot of time in buried screens.  It is the one thing that bugs me, but most of that stuff should be setup at the beginning of the gig and only the faders should need touch up during a show.  (Better if the band has that handled by dynamics onstage.)  While the DL works with a mini-ipad, it looks too small for my tastes. (Or fat fingers.)   I spent a bit of time with my iphone and my fader at my last political job.  If you were running near feedback levels, it would be so easy to slip the wrong way.  If Apple were smart it would make a maxi version of the ipad and my Apple stock would go up at the same time.  There are lots of time that a larger screen is useful.  (Might just be my age showing.  I really hate small print now.)   

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2014, 12:33:25 AM »
You can run MyFader on the iPad if you want BIG PRINT ;)

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2014, 12:35:22 AM »
The next iPad is supposed to be in the 13" range.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2014, 05:09:59 AM »
That might be good for my stock portfolio.   (Or not.)  That should make it bigger than my macbook Pro's screen. (At least in one direction.)

abzurd

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2014, 01:06:33 AM »
FWIW, I bought my DL1608 a year ago from the local Guitar Center for $850. All you have to do is call them and say you want an item for 15% off MAP and you'll get it 3 out of 4 times. They'll tell you you have to bring in a price match and it has to be from an authorized retailer, but in the end if you turn around the old sales practice and tell them you're buying it today and would prefer to buy local, they'll do it. Same goes for online too. I can't remember the last time I paid MAP for gear.

JMc

• Padawan
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2014, 06:38:15 PM »
I too bought my DL-1608 a year and a half ago for $850.  Used a 15% coupon that Musician's Friend was offering. 

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2014, 08:53:48 PM »
I bought mine for 795 including tax. I used that 15% off and price matched it with zzounds. They went to $800. Then guitar center actually got one in and went to 750 plus tax. Which became 795. This was all when the dl first came out.