Author Topic: Trouble recording  (Read 3946 times)

soundboothfbc

• Initiate
Trouble recording
« on: April 08, 2014, 06:44:21 PM »
Is anybody having trouble recording with the IPad nested in the DL 1608 unit?   What I get when I try (1rt generation IPad), is the result is so faint I have to amplify it several times with other software.  Yes the main volume is not set low, and we have tried to record with a 4th generation too, same result.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
Re: Trouble recording
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 07:11:52 PM »
Yup, it do that :-\ .

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 10:57:49 PM »
Normalize the recording after you've got it on your computer.  They're always pretty low levels.  (Better than easily clipping.)

Scott Campbell

• Youngling
  • Amateur sound guy, but not a musician.
    • MCM Festival
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 01:55:12 AM »
I haven't had this problem really. Are you sure you've gained your inputs well and pushed plenty of that signal to the main mix? It's probably obvious to many, but its the simplest stuff that usually catches me. I've recorded a few things, and haven't had excessively quite recordings. What software/app are you using to capture the recordings?
Build a man a fire and you keep him warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he stays warm for the rest of his life!

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 02:00:34 PM »
It's interesting that there is no level control assigned to the built in recording feature in the DL. It's like an afterthought in that particular feature. I really don't need to record internally any way, but if the feature is there at least polish it off to make it really useable. Two track stereo mixdown recording is still better than nothing I guess. I can always edit the recording in my DAW to clean and punch it up to a good listening level.

For me, if I really want to get serious recordings I will line out from the mains into my USB audio interface connected to my laptop running my preferred DAW, etc. etc. I can use the AUX outs to run my powered speakers. Let's hope that the next version of MF will address the recording level adjustment issue at least? and other issues too. Now having said all that I still do like my DL as it is and am very happy with it. I didn't buy it just to record audio.  8)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 12:18:38 AM by Keyboard Magic »
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 01:37:11 PM »
KM why would you go through all that trouble for a stereo mix. Just do the same exact thing and use the mains to record to the iPad. Create a mix. Listen to it through headphones and give it some volume. Done.

If you really ever want "serious" recordings you bought the wrong board. 2 track master recording does not equal serious recording. Doing what Gio set up will give serious recordings albeit a total pain in the ass setup.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 02:05:49 PM »
Agreed that this isn't the correct mixer for serious recordings.  I do find the record feature good for looking back at either a show or rehearsal.  Just downloaded the app AudioNotes.  Will be looking at that to see if it's a better tool for rehearsals.  (Can take notes while rehearsing and tie the audio to the notes automatically.)

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2014, 06:26:27 PM »
That's it. IF...... To quote Wynd " I do find the record feature good for looking back at either a show or rehearsal." Thank you Wynd, I agree. To reiterate, I bought the board for live wireless audio mixing only. If I want to do really serious recording properly, I do have the gear for doing that. I haven't even used the DL's built in recording feature in a live situation. I will however try just for an experiment. And I can edit the mix afterwards if needed.  8)
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2014, 11:55:42 PM »
There is no editing the mix after.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 01:15:17 AM »
Doesn't mean you can't normalize the recording or change the EQ........  Not as good as full multi-channel recording.  That's why I've kept my Alesis Multi-mix 16 firewire mixer for recording.  (Also found times when I needed either more than 16 channels or a second sound system.  It's been useful on occasion.)