Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

First Gig with DL1608 - Pointers Anyone?

<< < (7/10) > >>

Sanchinguy:
Well now...

Went to the venue tonight to check on a couple last minute details with the owners.  It went something like this:

"Oh, hi.  We meant to call you.  The (insert local university basketball team here) is playing tomorrow night at the same time we committed to you.  We don't want our customers to miss the game so we want to move you back to a midnight start and have you play until close. We'll still pay you what we agreed."

To make a long story short, we're not playing tomorrow and have a promise to reschedule "soon".  I tried to make it clear that we did a lot of promo based on their commitment and couldn't guarantee that we'd be as effective the next time.  He shrugged.

Yeah, I've done this a long time and have had lots of these experiences, but damn it's still frustrating every time...

Wynnd:
Bummer!   Been there, done that.  On the other hand, at least they aren't canceling outright.  Places to play do need to be treated with enough flexibility just so they don't stop having bands. 

RoadRanger:
Kinda related - the biggest local venue now has DJ's on Friday nights and had a couple people stabbed last night :facepalm: .

Sanchinguy:
I hear ya.  Same sort of thing happens here all over the place.  Lots of DJ work, but if you want to gig regularly in this town you'd better be a metal band playing one set shows with several other bands or a blues band playing Mustang Sally.  There's a couple of places near the college that do the indie singer songwriter emo thing and that's about it.

Wynnd:
If I never play Mustang Sally again, it will be too soon.  I was complaining about playing it to bandmates a number of years ago before going back to W.Va for Christmas.  While I was in Morgantown, I stopped to see a few bands and ended up seeing two bands play Mustang Sally.  I've really had enough of that song. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version