Author Topic: First Gig with DL1608 - Pointers Anyone?  (Read 17452 times)

Sanchinguy

• Youngling
Re: First Gig with DL1608 - Pointers Anyone?
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2014, 08:21:00 PM »
Thanks all, learning lots here. 

We'll definitely try not to suck (and that can be a challenge for this band!).  Overall spl around 85-90 db in the middle of the room is doable, bit will be a challenge for the lead singer and lead guitarist. Drummer's cool.  I will use comp sparingly but may need to lean on the female singers channel a little harder as she can be a bit of a shouter. 

Any point to using a gate on vocals?  I'm thinking no, but I'm open to others thoughts.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2014, 08:31:22 PM »
If your there as a show that would be fine if however your there for mood music you won't be back. I don't like to raise my voice to speak especially at a meal and as I said before err on lower that's far easier to overcome than it's too loud. Run it past the owner beforehand, everyone has their own perception of what is soft. No gates.
When in doubt KISS

Sanchinguy

• Youngling
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2014, 03:00:53 AM »
We go on at 9:00, usually well past the dinner rush around here.  They listened to our demo before the gig was committed, so they know what we do (sort of an old farts punk take on classic rock and pop tunes).  Some things we cover faithfully, others we take considerable liberties with!

We'll definitely let them call the shots on volume - We'd like to come back!

Thanks again!

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2014, 07:35:31 AM »
Compression without makeup gain will act as a limiter and won't cause any more feedback than you would get without it on the channel. Adding compressor gain is a different story.... Different singers, different styles most I work with need limiting (and often compression) in a live environment.
I gate every mic channel, obviously at different thresholds, it'll help kill feedback and noise no matter what level you play at. If you're using mics on a kit use gates to keep them tight and clean. I'm sure your playing will be fine, I wouldn't be so ignorant as to tell you how to play. It's only the mannerisms of a minority of forum members here that "suck".
Have a good one :thu: :)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 08:43:16 AM by robbocurry »
The older I get, the better I was!

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2014, 09:37:07 AM »
You are going in with a very good attitude.  I'm sure you'll do fine.  Just one note.  It's much easier for a quiet band to sound good at that level than for a loud band to drop their volume and sound good.  (That was so clumsy, I'll try to say it again.)  Bands that usually play at low volumes and sound good, can change volumes and still sound good.  Bands that are usually loud and sound good, have a hellish time turning down and still sounding good.  (Better to start low and get louder than to start loud and attempt to get lower.)   It sounds like I'm just stumbling over my own words.  Oh well.  Knock them dead.  (And don't forget to have some fun while doing it.)

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2014, 09:56:46 AM »
Thanks all, learning lots here. 

We'll definitely try not to suck (and that can be a challenge for this band!).  Overall spl around 85-90 db in the middle of the room is doable, bit will be a challenge for the lead singer and lead guitarist. Drummer's cool.  I will use comp sparingly but may need to lean on the female singers channel a little harder as she can be a bit of a shouter. 

Any point to using a gate on vocals?  I'm thinking no, but I'm open to others thoughts.

A quiet drummer is a pearl beyond price, guitarists can by smaller amps (I use an 18 watt valve combo which sounds great at low volume) singers bass players and keyboards can be turned down, drummers have to just play more quietly which requires a change of style.

Have a great gig  8)

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2014, 12:32:02 PM »
You are going in with a very good attitude.  I'm sure you'll do fine.  Just one note.  It's much easier for a quiet band to sound good at that level than for a loud band to drop their volume and sound good.  (That was so clumsy, I'll try to say it again.)  Bands that usually play at low volumes and sound good, can change volumes and still sound good.  Bands that are usually loud and sound good, have a hellish time turning down and still sounding good.  (Better to start low and get louder than to start loud and attempt to get lower.)   It sounds like I'm just stumbling over my own words.  Oh well.  Knock them dead.  (And don't forget to have some fun while doing it.)

Stumbling over your words or not you are still correct. In other words: it's easy to turn up, but harder to turn down.

I tell every drummer I work with, that uses an acoustic kit, that I need to be able to rehearse with them with no amp or mic. Just me and an acoustic. If I can do that then they are in. I love it when bar owners/managers complain that a band was too loud. I tell them it's usually because of a loud drummer. Loud drummers=loud bands. The majority of them are beaters. And of course bands turn up around the loudest source. I hate loud drummers. I play a several outdoor venues with noise restrictions. I went to one once after leaving something there. Had to pick it up the next night. The band was playing and all I could here was drums. I asked what the heck was going on. I was told that the band was too loud and they asked them to turn down. So they did. All you heard now was the stage noise. That noise would be the drummer. Now the band was playing but almost nothing was in the mains and they still asked them to turn down. Bar staff doesn't understand that stuff.

And a lot of times guitar players too get whiney. Whah, I can't hear myself. I had one of those two weeks ago. Kept trying to turn up his amp. It was a Mesa combo and he was standing over it. It was hitting his calves. So all I did was lean back the cabinet. Wow, that took a genius to figure out.

One time I had a bar owner actually tell me he was going to ask a solo act to not plug in his guitar because it was too loud. He thought he would just play his acoustic unplugged and vocals mic'd. Huh? I pointed out to the owner how bad that would sound, and not work. I had to explain that it's a solo act and nothing is coming from the stage, and he needs to tell the guy to turn down the volume. It was a total duh moment.

Point is Wynnd is correct that it's easier to turn up then down. I spent 6 years with a guy who played an electric kit at a lot of our venues. We had a lot of happy bar owners. And on a rare, yes rare, occasion we were actually asked to turn up. That's unheard of! Lol. The good thing about my drummer was that he knew how to play the acoustic kit quietly too. But at a small venue even some of the most quiet drummers are still too much.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2014, 03:34:41 PM »
Have a friend who uses sticks at volumes where others have already moved to brushes.  He now lives in the Dallas area.  Not just low volume, he's a great drummer. 

Sanchinguy

• Youngling
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2014, 12:27:17 AM »
This gig will be learning experience for everyone.  The owners have recently reopened this business (it's changed hands several times over the last 20 years) and we will be the third live act they've ever had.  The first was a very talented jazz/blues trio (keys, guitar, singer) and the second was a karaoke comedian (don't get me started) and then there's us...

There are two owners - a woman who manages and runs the day to day operations who seems pretty cool, and a guy who appears to be the "dirty hands" fixer but is also the money man and a bit of a jerk (he was trying to tell me how to set up the PA last time I was there).  So, yeah...

Could be good, could be the gig from hell.  Stay tuned... And thanks again!

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2014, 12:56:54 AM »
It sounds (no pun intended, well just a little  ;) ) like you've been doing sound for sometime now and are very experienced at it. I am a pro musician (keys, etc.) and have many years of practical experience on analog boards, doing my own sound and the last few years running sound for schools, DJ'ing dances etc. Actually moving real faders is comfortable and easy, but I've just taken the plunge into the DL world. Haven't used it yet. But can't wait.

My advice, is to practice with Master Fader for a while on your undocked iPad and get used to it. I thought it would be very hard but it's not. Just rely on your experience, your ears and that's it! I used to sell keyboards years ago when there were actual operating manuals. I would tell customers to take the manual, throw it over your shoulder and just have fun with it!   ;)

PS: Don't throw your iPad/MacBook/Laptop over your shoulder though... you won't be having fun after that!!  :D
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 01:00:48 AM by Keyboard Magic »
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Sanchinguy

• Youngling
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2014, 02:19:21 AM »
Thanks.  Entirely self-taught and learning through a series of unfortunate (and fortunate) events.  As a band, we're only ok.  Although it sounds arrogant as hell to say it, musically I'm probably the strongest person in the band.  We like what we're doing and hope our enthusiasm and our music together will be enough.  These people are friends, we're all old farts (I'm the second youngest and I'm 58) and no one is harboring any juvenile rock star illusions.  Well, maybe except for the lead guitarist (some things never change, after all!)

I should probably find a better band if I want to become a better bassist, but this is still fun....

PeterKorg

• Padawan
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2014, 08:14:13 PM »
A good place to start is the presets for each instrument and vox, but you will have work these to suit each one, HPF was one of the things I had to learn about on the vocals. Lead guitarist is one one side of stage and as the amp needs to be fairly loud I off set L/R to compensate.

Best of luck and let us know how you get on

stevegarris

• Knight
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2014, 10:02:13 PM »
Be careful of the presets. I think they employ comps & gates, which you should turn off until you determine the need.

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2014, 10:39:23 PM »
Be careful of the presets. I think they employ comps & gates, which you should turn off until you determine the need.

A good point, they do and I usually turn both off to start with. The eq on presets is a very good starting point but the dynamics need big tweaks for each individual voice/instrument (they are, of course, very dependent on preamp gain too).

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2014, 11:43:59 PM »
Sanchinguy;

I have to admit to you that even after all my years of playing gigs (I'm 59 and started playing pro when I was 18)  I still get butterflies before the event. This is even more so with a new piece of gear, such as the DL. Once I start the gig I start to enjoy what I am doing, either playing keys or running sound. Of course I always set up the new gear at home to make sure it powers up, works as expected and to make sure I know what I am doing with said new gear before the show. Hopefully to avoid an embarrassing moment or two.  :facepalm:

Some wise pro that I once did a gig with said to me "If you don't get butterflies you don't perform to your potential"

I hope that my nerves mean that I do well every time? Anyway, to take my own advice and to reiterate to you, try to have fun just the same, even though you may just have to try a little, 'cause it does pay off!
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler