Author Topic: Jumping into the DL1608 Phenomenon  (Read 29862 times)

Keyboard Magic

• Master
Jumping into the DL1608 Phenomenon
« on: March 17, 2014, 02:49:04 PM »
I hope creating this new thread is appropriately in the right area?

So, finally dove in and bought a Mackie DL1608. Haven’t received it yet, but eagerly awaiting its arrival. Even though it’s not in my hot little hands, I am already more than familiar with its interface, Master Fader. I’ve been playing around with it since version 1.4, now at version 2.1.1. I have to say that it’s quite easy to get around on and very familiar to anyone who has used mixers with real physical faders, for a living. I do have to admit that I still like the feel of moving real faders during a gig. But…

The wireless convenience plus Master Fader and my positive experience with other Mackie gear has made me decide to bite the bullet and go for it. Having played around with Master Fader for quite some time has raised my confidence level to the point that once I have the actual mixer, I could do a major gig with it without any worries at all, right out of the box!  Obviously there is going to be a learning curve, especially diving deeper into all the goodies packed into the latest software update, but not scary enough to be afraid to use it the same day it arrives.

Why I went with the Mackie instead of something else like the Line 6 Stage Scape, or any of the other new digital mixers was price, availability and familiarity with the software. I‘ve tried the other brand’s software and some look like a real mixer, but Master Fader is so much easier to work with than anything else, for me and that’s a big deal since I’m a lot older than I would like to be. I don’t want to waste a lot of time opening up PDF manuals on my laptop trying to find how to access some important function for a gazillion hours!

Sure, reading manuals is always necessary to be able to use any new techie gear to its potential, but time is more important now than ever. I want to use my new toys almost right away and this particular package fills that bill very nicely for me. The real bonus is that with every update to Master Fader and other similar software, new features and improvements are added. It’s like getting new toys for free every few months or so. Pretty cool!

Having said all that stuff above,  the DL1608 does need to have a few hardware upgrades, such as possibly USB I/O and maybe even RCA in/out etc. but for what it is and for my particular needs it should  fit the bill just fine. Once I’ve actually used it in a real world scenario for a while, I may change my tune about it. Time will tell!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 06:57:57 PM by Keyboard Magic »
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
Re: Jumping into the DL1608 Phenomenon
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 08:40:31 PM »
The DL1608 works very well as it is, as you say the app is probably the best one out there, I'm about to buy something bigger, with faders and multitrack recording (probably Behringer X32 Compact) but will keep my DL1608 and probably use it on far more gigs than the big mixer. The DL is what it is and provides far more than the same money spent on the analogue kit of very few years ago. Far too useful to replace  ;D

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 09:06:48 PM »
Sam I see you now over at the behringer forums. I would highly recommend selling the dl for a rack to go along with your compact. I've been using mine now for a little bit and it's worlds apart from the dl. I mainly suggest this because the x32 compact/mackie dl1608 combo does nothing for you. Whereas the x32 compact/rack opens up a ton. And when you are an X user you will get used to the app so you can use the rack on its own in place if the dl. I have been finding out that the x app is very easy and fast to use once you know it's layout.

Your a smart guy. I'm sure you will figure out what I am saying on your own. But keep in mind the street value of a used dl1608 is dropping because of the mixers that are in direct competition.  And when the x18 comes out the dl will lose even more value. I'm 1 million percent positive mackie will have a price drop on the dl. If they don't they are nuts. I got $725 for my dl with the case. I wanted more but numerous companies have already dropped the price of the dl. A smart consumer will figure that out and use it as leverage. Good thing is I only paid 795. If you are from the uk things may be different there.

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 12:24:02 AM »
Keyboard Magic,

Welcome to the forum. There are a lot of happy DL users here but also a few that are not so happy - hence the Behringer discussion.

I've been using my DL1608 for well over a year now and have had no major issues. As you aready know the ipad app is excellent and if you buy a 5Ghz capable modem you will have few networking issues.

I wish you all the best with your purchase.

paulfrench

• Padawan
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 01:05:33 AM »
Keyboard Magic,

Welcome aboard! I also am new to the forum and the DL. So far I have used it for one rehearsal and one gig. No problems, and the band and manager were happy with the improved sound quality. The fact that anyone else even noticed says a lot! I couldn't get the router to work, but that has to do with the old crappy wifi router, I'm sure.

We went with the DL for similar reasons: ease of use, it has the features we need, and it's an established product.

Best of luck with your DL.

Paul

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 03:07:11 AM »
I'm a former PC/Network tech and even I had a few problems setting up my Airport Express.  Once setup correctly, they are not a problem.  When using both bands, you need different names for each of the frequencies.  I used NoInternetHere and NoInternetHere5Ghz.  (Didn't have dual bands when I last worked in the field.  Actually didn't have WiFi in the office where I was working.  Been a while.)  Of course I put a sizeable passPhrase on it.  (Easier to remember and in my case, both bands have the same passPhrase.)  You will need to hook up each wifi device correctly once.   Then, in the case of my ipad and master fader, I need to make sure that it's hooked up to the 5Ghz band.  (Not having problems with the 2.4Ghz, but just know that the 5 Ghz is less likely to have too much traffic.  At least for now.)

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 07:51:54 AM »
The DL is a great little mixer and will cover big and small gigs. It's improving with every update. Unless you need more channels I wouldn't suggest you sell something you've just bought :facepalm:
MasterFader isn't perfect but is easy to use and pretty powerful too. I bought a new, bigger mixer last week, but won't be parting with my DL anytime soon!
The older I get, the better I was!

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 08:56:37 AM »
+1 to all the comments above  ;D

Sam I see you now over at the behringer forums. I would highly recommend selling the dl for a rack to go along with your compact. I've been using mine now for a little bit and it's worlds apart from the dl. I mainly suggest this because the x32 compact/mackie dl1608 combo does nothing for you. Whereas the x32 compact/rack opens up a ton. And when you are an X user you will get used to the app so you can use the rack on its own in place if the dl. I have been finding out that the x app is very easy and fast to use once you know it's layout.

Your a smart guy. I'm sure you will figure out what I am saying on your own. But keep in mind the street value of a used dl1608 is dropping because of the mixers that are in direct competition.  And when the x18 comes out the dl will lose even more value. I'm 1 million percent positive mackie will have a price drop on the dl. If they don't they are nuts. I got $725 for my dl with the case. I wanted more but numerous companies have already dropped the price of the dl. A smart consumer will figure that out and use it as leverage. Good thing is I only paid 795. If you are from the uk things may be different there.

I get where you're coming from Jerry, and I am considering a rack at some point but first I want faders and I can't afford both Compact and Rack even if I do sell the DL (used DL - £750, new X32 Rack - £1200 in the UK at present). And I don't think the X32 app is a nice to use as MF (I've spent a fair bit of time playing with it). For the few gigs I'll do with the compact I'll probably hire an S16, if I decide it's worth buying one I'll consider selling the DL and buying a rack instead but for now the DL works for me, if it ain't broke, don't fix it  >:D

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 12:03:09 PM »
Just another x32 piece of advice for ya Sam. The compact actually has 22 inputs, not 16. The aux ins are inputs too. You can also assign them to regular channels. I purchased some Audix T-50K Inline Impedance Matching Transformers. These make the 1/4s into xlrs. They also have a short cable to relieve the pressure the solid inline ones have. Hosa makes a good one too. I thought about an s16, or a second rack, too for more channels but I don't usually need more than 16. On a rare occasion I may need 2-4 more, and now I have 6.

My next setup will be phenomenal looking. I am buying a laptop, or small computer, and three 24 inch monitors. I will have 4 instances of x32 edit running. I can be out front with my setup connected wirelessly. Eventually I'll add the xtouch into the mix as a control surface. It will look totally sweet! With the X series there is no real reason to ever touch the board once everything is plugged in.

I enjoyed the dl but the rack is just soooooo much better. I just did a festival this past weekend. I had music playing all day, and a band closing the show both days. I set up the rack, ran a snake, and all lines and mics. I put the rack under the stage and never touched, or looked at it again. All hours before the bands got there. I have preached the programmable gains here before but that festival really showed me how much I really love them. I was able to set up everything from 100 ft away. A few times the guitar player changed his level on me. I didn't have to go near the stage to fix it. I did it all remotely. In the past I had to run back to the stage to lower the gains. Previously I set the dl up in the middle of the stage as a stage box. And that's where I need to be to set gains. Setting up drum mic levels was hell. Especially with no earplugs. And when a gain was clipping because of a volume change guess where I needed to be. Yup, back on stage, or where ever I put the dl.

Another bonus too: I bought a Sandisk cruzer 16 gb USB flash drive. It's tiny. Plugged it into the front panel. I am able to record too. I just leave the drive in. Start/stop/playback all from the iPad app. It records over 35 hours before I need to ever remove it. During a big event like this past weekend I just record the mains because the mix was perfect. Two weeks ago I did sound for a band in a restaurant/bar. Was a big place but still had a stage noise. The main mix was not what I wanted to record. So I set up a secondary mix for recording. I actually mixed by the meters. Worked great. I also do that when I play small places with my drummer. We mic everything up just for the recording mix. One day I'll setup my wireless iem's, or a wireless control room speaker,  and mix from there.

Sam you are in for a treat.

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 01:24:36 PM »
Yeah, I know the smaller X32s have 16 mic inputs plus 6 line level aux's, that's another reason for considering a Rack instead of an S16 to act as a stagebox. there's no way I'm going back to running an analogue snake again  :lol:

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2014, 04:02:26 PM »
Thank you all for the warm welcomes and encouraging comments on owning and operating the DL1608  :)

It's still not here yet, but fingers, eyes and toes crossed. (Can't do to much work in this state though!) I have everything in place; Airport Express Router, 2 ipad 2's (??) the latest iteration of Master Fader (2.1.1) on both ipads, the Airport Utility App and lots of practice on Master Fader.

I am fairly experienced  ;) using analog mixers (real moveable faders even) and for my age fairly comfortable using iOS devices, so there shouldn't be too much of a learning curve, hopefully, using the DL in a live setting. I'm still going to bring along my little Alan and Heath Z10 for backup just in case I or the DL craps out inadvertently until I'm completely comfortable with it.

I am so looking forward to using my new DL and the thought of being able to do a sound check/tune the room without running 2 miles back and forth from the mixing desk before and during a concert!!  x( My old legs will thank me, I think!

I am also looking forward to sharing ideas, comments and thoughts with everyone here about the DL, Mackie in general and any other cool stuff related to the industry.

CIAO for NOW !!! 8)

PS: It's soooo nice to be labeled a Youngling after joining up  ;D

« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 06:16:07 PM by Keyboard Magic »
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Nottoodeaf

• Padawan
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2014, 03:33:45 PM »
Hey JL.  Have you had the opportunity to use those inline impedance matching transformers?  Obviously, you don't get the Midas preamp, but otherwise I suppose you get remote control of the input gain and after assigning, the same capabilities as any other channel.  I ask because I used to do this with an analog board line input when in a pinch for more channels and found that I had to significantly boost the input gain and would pick up a little noise.  Sound quality suffered a bit due to the lack of a good preamp as well.

I have been on the edge of getting a Rack, but have considered that I would be out another $800 for an S-16 as soon as I needed extra channels.  The prospect of squeezing another 6 channels out of the Rack has gotten my attention.  Even without utilizing the aux inputs on the Rack I gain an aux out and an input channel over my DL....I now have to use those on my DL to use an external reverb that sounds decent.
Does that have to be there?  Not anymore!

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2014, 04:55:53 PM »
Yes I have used them and they work perfectly. The signal is loud and clean. I bought 4 because the last two lines are dedicated to my airplay. Just so you know you still get the same gain when you assign to a regular channel. The aux in gains are different than the xlr Midas preamp gains. When you assign the aux in to a channel the gain structure changes to match the aux in gain structure. The xlr gains are analogue for -12 to +60 db. The aux ins are apparently a digital gain to +18. If you crank it with a low signal, and a 1/4 in, there will be some noise. But the same can go for any 1/4 in. That's why I use the adapter for all xlrs.

If you have the app, and look at the gains on the aux's, you may see the same as the xlr ins. You'll also see phantom power too. Obviously the 1/4 ins don't have phantom. That's only in the demo mode. So it may get you confused.

PeterKorg

• Padawan
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2014, 08:01:34 PM »
Hi KM, welcome to the forum, I don't post that often but a read them all, you will soon get used to the variety of characters, including the grumpy ones (mentioning no names.....). It is however an excellent forum, for learning all those tricks and tips.

I have had the DL 1608 for about 16 months, and done about 50 gigs with it, so far never failed. So I would recommend d this to anyone. We use all 16 channels and all 6 aux. 5 for in ear monitors, and 1 for drummers BumChum.

I recall a previous show, similar size venue, I am always pleased when almost everything is there, just a little tweaking, Drums always take the longest, but using the gate I usually get them done in 5 or 10 minutes.

I am also Keyboard player and mix from the stage

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2014, 07:09:18 PM »
It's great to read all the impressions and experiences from DL owners. They help you decide whether to buy or not, there are excellent tips to make the experience better, problem solving help and they make you feel as if you are not the only one with issues.

I did a lot of research into the DL, reading reviews from all over the net. It has taken me over a year to finally pop for one. For myself personally it meets my current needs. Yes, there are things about the DL that could be improved, but it was available now. The Line 6 StageScape looked really cool, but the price for it here in Toronto was out of reach for me. (about $1000.00 more) Of course if the DL crapped out at a major gig more than once, I would be very upset too, especially if the service from Mackie wasn't up to par.(haven't experienced their service dept. yet) I would seriously consider getting rid of it pretty fast, just like any other gear that was unreliable.

As I mentioned in previous posts, I don't have it yet, but when it's here I'm giving it a chance. The positive reviews for me out weighed the negatives. I've had Behringer gear and have had no issues. ( just lucky I guess) I've had Mackie with good results as well. Just like in the computer world, hard drives have a MTBF (mean time before failure) rate. If it powers up right out of the box it will likely run for a long time. I know, that doesn't always mean it will work forever, but... Time will tell, I guess.  :P

« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 10:41:30 PM by Keyboard Magic »