Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

Jumping into the DL1608 Phenomenon

(1/17) > >>

Keyboard Magic:
I hope creating this new thread is appropriately in the right area?

So, finally dove in and bought a Mackie DL1608. Haven’t received it yet, but eagerly awaiting its arrival. Even though it’s not in my hot little hands, I am already more than familiar with its interface, Master Fader. I’ve been playing around with it since version 1.4, now at version 2.1.1. I have to say that it’s quite easy to get around on and very familiar to anyone who has used mixers with real physical faders, for a living. I do have to admit that I still like the feel of moving real faders during a gig. But…

The wireless convenience plus Master Fader and my positive experience with other Mackie gear has made me decide to bite the bullet and go for it. Having played around with Master Fader for quite some time has raised my confidence level to the point that once I have the actual mixer, I could do a major gig with it without any worries at all, right out of the box!  Obviously there is going to be a learning curve, especially diving deeper into all the goodies packed into the latest software update, but not scary enough to be afraid to use it the same day it arrives.

Why I went with the Mackie instead of something else like the Line 6 Stage Scape, or any of the other new digital mixers was price, availability and familiarity with the software. I‘ve tried the other brand’s software and some look like a real mixer, but Master Fader is so much easier to work with than anything else, for me and that’s a big deal since I’m a lot older than I would like to be. I don’t want to waste a lot of time opening up PDF manuals on my laptop trying to find how to access some important function for a gazillion hours!

Sure, reading manuals is always necessary to be able to use any new techie gear to its potential, but time is more important now than ever. I want to use my new toys almost right away and this particular package fills that bill very nicely for me. The real bonus is that with every update to Master Fader and other similar software, new features and improvements are added. It’s like getting new toys for free every few months or so. Pretty cool!

Having said all that stuff above,  the DL1608 does need to have a few hardware upgrades, such as possibly USB I/O and maybe even RCA in/out etc. but for what it is and for my particular needs it should  fit the bill just fine. Once I’ve actually used it in a real world scenario for a while, I may change my tune about it. Time will tell!

sam.spoons:
The DL1608 works very well as it is, as you say the app is probably the best one out there, I'm about to buy something bigger, with faders and multitrack recording (probably Behringer X32 Compact) but will keep my DL1608 and probably use it on far more gigs than the big mixer. The DL is what it is and provides far more than the same money spent on the analogue kit of very few years ago. Far too useful to replace  ;D

Jerrylee:
Sam I see you now over at the behringer forums. I would highly recommend selling the dl for a rack to go along with your compact. I've been using mine now for a little bit and it's worlds apart from the dl. I mainly suggest this because the x32 compact/mackie dl1608 combo does nothing for you. Whereas the x32 compact/rack opens up a ton. And when you are an X user you will get used to the app so you can use the rack on its own in place if the dl. I have been finding out that the x app is very easy and fast to use once you know it's layout.

Your a smart guy. I'm sure you will figure out what I am saying on your own. But keep in mind the street value of a used dl1608 is dropping because of the mixers that are in direct competition.  And when the x18 comes out the dl will lose even more value. I'm 1 million percent positive mackie will have a price drop on the dl. If they don't they are nuts. I got $725 for my dl with the case. I wanted more but numerous companies have already dropped the price of the dl. A smart consumer will figure that out and use it as leverage. Good thing is I only paid 795. If you are from the uk things may be different there.

Fluddman:
Keyboard Magic,

Welcome to the forum. There are a lot of happy DL users here but also a few that are not so happy - hence the Behringer discussion.

I've been using my DL1608 for well over a year now and have had no major issues. As you aready know the ipad app is excellent and if you buy a 5Ghz capable modem you will have few networking issues.

I wish you all the best with your purchase.

paulfrench:
Keyboard Magic,

Welcome aboard! I also am new to the forum and the DL. So far I have used it for one rehearsal and one gig. No problems, and the band and manager were happy with the improved sound quality. The fact that anyone else even noticed says a lot! I couldn't get the router to work, but that has to do with the old crappy wifi router, I'm sure.

We went with the DL for similar reasons: ease of use, it has the features we need, and it's an established product.

Best of luck with your DL.

Paul

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version