Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

Jumping into the DL1608 Phenomenon

<< < (2/17) > >>

Wynnd:
I'm a former PC/Network tech and even I had a few problems setting up my Airport Express.  Once setup correctly, they are not a problem.  When using both bands, you need different names for each of the frequencies.  I used NoInternetHere and NoInternetHere5Ghz.  (Didn't have dual bands when I last worked in the field.  Actually didn't have WiFi in the office where I was working.  Been a while.)  Of course I put a sizeable passPhrase on it.  (Easier to remember and in my case, both bands have the same passPhrase.)  You will need to hook up each wifi device correctly once.   Then, in the case of my ipad and master fader, I need to make sure that it's hooked up to the 5Ghz band.  (Not having problems with the 2.4Ghz, but just know that the 5 Ghz is less likely to have too much traffic.  At least for now.)

robbocurry:
The DL is a great little mixer and will cover big and small gigs. It's improving with every update. Unless you need more channels I wouldn't suggest you sell something you've just bought :facepalm:
MasterFader isn't perfect but is easy to use and pretty powerful too. I bought a new, bigger mixer last week, but won't be parting with my DL anytime soon!

sam.spoons:
+1 to all the comments above  ;D

--- Quote from: Jerrylee on March 17, 2014, 09:06:48 PM ---Sam I see you now over at the behringer forums. I would highly recommend selling the dl for a rack to go along with your compact. I've been using mine now for a little bit and it's worlds apart from the dl. I mainly suggest this because the x32 compact/mackie dl1608 combo does nothing for you. Whereas the x32 compact/rack opens up a ton. And when you are an X user you will get used to the app so you can use the rack on its own in place if the dl. I have been finding out that the x app is very easy and fast to use once you know it's layout.

Your a smart guy. I'm sure you will figure out what I am saying on your own. But keep in mind the street value of a used dl1608 is dropping because of the mixers that are in direct competition.  And when the x18 comes out the dl will lose even more value. I'm 1 million percent positive mackie will have a price drop on the dl. If they don't they are nuts. I got $725 for my dl with the case. I wanted more but numerous companies have already dropped the price of the dl. A smart consumer will figure that out and use it as leverage. Good thing is I only paid 795. If you are from the uk things may be different there.

--- End quote ---

I get where you're coming from Jerry, and I am considering a rack at some point but first I want faders and I can't afford both Compact and Rack even if I do sell the DL (used DL - £750, new X32 Rack - £1200 in the UK at present). And I don't think the X32 app is a nice to use as MF (I've spent a fair bit of time playing with it). For the few gigs I'll do with the compact I'll probably hire an S16, if I decide it's worth buying one I'll consider selling the DL and buying a rack instead but for now the DL works for me, if it ain't broke, don't fix it  >:D

Jerrylee:
Just another x32 piece of advice for ya Sam. The compact actually has 22 inputs, not 16. The aux ins are inputs too. You can also assign them to regular channels. I purchased some Audix T-50K Inline Impedance Matching Transformers. These make the 1/4s into xlrs. They also have a short cable to relieve the pressure the solid inline ones have. Hosa makes a good one too. I thought about an s16, or a second rack, too for more channels but I don't usually need more than 16. On a rare occasion I may need 2-4 more, and now I have 6.

My next setup will be phenomenal looking. I am buying a laptop, or small computer, and three 24 inch monitors. I will have 4 instances of x32 edit running. I can be out front with my setup connected wirelessly. Eventually I'll add the xtouch into the mix as a control surface. It will look totally sweet! With the X series there is no real reason to ever touch the board once everything is plugged in.

I enjoyed the dl but the rack is just soooooo much better. I just did a festival this past weekend. I had music playing all day, and a band closing the show both days. I set up the rack, ran a snake, and all lines and mics. I put the rack under the stage and never touched, or looked at it again. All hours before the bands got there. I have preached the programmable gains here before but that festival really showed me how much I really love them. I was able to set up everything from 100 ft away. A few times the guitar player changed his level on me. I didn't have to go near the stage to fix it. I did it all remotely. In the past I had to run back to the stage to lower the gains. Previously I set the dl up in the middle of the stage as a stage box. And that's where I need to be to set gains. Setting up drum mic levels was hell. Especially with no earplugs. And when a gain was clipping because of a volume change guess where I needed to be. Yup, back on stage, or where ever I put the dl.

Another bonus too: I bought a Sandisk cruzer 16 gb USB flash drive. It's tiny. Plugged it into the front panel. I am able to record too. I just leave the drive in. Start/stop/playback all from the iPad app. It records over 35 hours before I need to ever remove it. During a big event like this past weekend I just record the mains because the mix was perfect. Two weeks ago I did sound for a band in a restaurant/bar. Was a big place but still had a stage noise. The main mix was not what I wanted to record. So I set up a secondary mix for recording. I actually mixed by the meters. Worked great. I also do that when I play small places with my drummer. We mic everything up just for the recording mix. One day I'll setup my wireless iem's, or a wireless control room speaker,  and mix from there.

Sam you are in for a treat.

sam.spoons:
Yeah, I know the smaller X32s have 16 mic inputs plus 6 line level aux's, that's another reason for considering a Rack instead of an S16 to act as a stagebox. there's no way I'm going back to running an analogue snake again  :lol:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version