Author Topic: Jumping into the DL1608 Phenomenon  (Read 29907 times)

Keyboard Magic

• Master
Re: Jumping into the DL1608 Phenomenon
« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2014, 11:49:27 AM »
WK154

Thank you for your reply.  :thu:

Yeah, I'm going to keep investigating the other mixers for some time. After some more pondering about my DL, I am really leaning towards the iOS update that pooched everything. Everything was running fine up to that point. But in the real world a minor update shouldn't do that. Of course if you look at the history of what an update can do to Windows, I guess I really shouldn't be too surprised though.  :o

I guess that I could've tried to run the DL wirelessly only, no docked iPad. That might have remedied the situation until if and when the next MF update came along and might have fixed the issues.  But, if you can't trust your gear in a live important situation...

It's time to just "Keep on keeping on" for now.  8) So I'll be lurking here and still posting from time to time.  :)

"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
« Reply #61 on: April 27, 2014, 10:38:46 PM »
Km. I have left the Toronto area for good. But last time I went to Cosmo music they had the x32 rack. And the others as well. They actually seem to carry a lot of things others don't. Work a good deal. Or take a trip to the US.

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #62 on: April 27, 2014, 11:13:10 PM »
Jerrylee;

I've actually dealt with Cosmo a few times in the past, and they have quite a good selection of product. Their new location is amazing! I'll definitely check them out regarding mixers. Thank you for the reminder!  :thu:  8)

My significant other and myself are going on a cruise out of Ft Lauderdale this coming July, maybe I can arrange to do a little shopping before the cruise, if time permits  >:D :) Time to look up music stores, heh heh heh!!!
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
« Reply #63 on: April 28, 2014, 01:04:34 AM »
I'm from palm beach county. There are some Samash stores and guitar centers in the lauderdale area. There is also a store called MAE in Davie Florida. Not sure if they carry them yet. Hopefully there is a good guitar center coupon available when you are here. FYI a rack fits pretty well in a carry on. I was originally flying with it. Another thing to keep in mind is that the Canadian $ is about 10% less than US. But tax here is only 6% vs 13% and the x32 is a lot cheaper here to. And a coupon makes it even cheaper. If you know someone here you can order it online with no tax and free shipping. And match a coupon. That's what I do.

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #64 on: April 28, 2014, 01:14:21 AM »
Jerrylee;

Thank you so much for the suggestions.  :thu: I will definitely keep them in mind. I'm gonna copy and paste this into a Word doc for safe keeping and reference!!!   8)

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2014, 01:27:11 AM »
Been looking at the other DL contenders out there, checking out software, downloaded Presonus and x32 apps to iPad. Boy am I ever really spoiled by Master Fader. It just seems so much easier to use than the others for a very mature (old)  :P  person like my self.  x(

I'm gonna keep playing around with the X32 app some more to see if I can get more familiar with it.  :eek:  The QSC TouchMix does look interesting, but might have to wait for some time to get my paws on one. The adventure continues!!   ::)

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
« Reply #66 on: April 29, 2014, 03:59:47 AM »
Km with the popularity of the x32 line one would be a fool to go any other route. It is hands down the number one selling pro mixer in the world. It is quickly becoming the new standard and rider friendly.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2014, 04:32:54 AM »
JerryLee are you sure you aren't being paid under the table by Behringer?  You are a running ad for a product that probably won't be in the running by next year.  (With so many different digital mixers coming online, it's only a short time before all the current ones are considered passe')  I'm still using my 2010 MacBook Pro.  Not just because it cost $1200 when I bought it, but because it's still functional and does everything I need and I still get about 7 hours of battery life with my typical use.  (There aren't very many PC laptops getting 7 hours brand new, let alone still getting more than 3 hours when 4 years old.)   I have gotten 13 hours of battery use during the first year I had it.   Was using it as a background music source with the screen dimmed totally.  Bet I could get at least 10 hours today doing the same thing.  Anyway, I'm not quick to toss something away.  I'm sure hoping that I get the same level of use with the DL1608 that I got with my MixWiz.  (Bought in 2008 and sold last month with everything still working.) 

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2014, 06:09:32 AM »
KM, contrary to all the hype, I think any buyer would be foolish not to consider products from all manufacturers.
What suits everyone else, might not suit you.
Popular and cheap are considerations but longevity, customer service, build quality, peace of mind, reliability, ease of use and resale value shouldn't be forgotten.
I didn't put sound quality on that list as that's a given and obviously a personal choice.
Check out other user forums to see who is having problems, even simple ones like connecting up a router or taming noisy outputs. Is a user forum "busy good" or "busy bad"?
In your earlier posts you compared the sound of your Zed to the DL and initially you heard something you didn't like. I suggest you try before you buy.  ;)
The older I get, the better I was!

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
« Reply #69 on: April 29, 2014, 06:36:24 AM »
I definitely have nothing to do with behringer. I am just absolutely loving my x32 rack. What I look for in a board is one that does everything I need and want, and just a little more. The rack does everything I need. And a ton more. If I never had to buy another mixer again I would be very happy. The only thing I would change it for is if another x32 is released. One with only ins and outs, including all network I/o as well. Something I could just throw on a stage as a stage box. That would be awesome. But I have to admit I have found myself making use of the front panel sometimes. Not yet at a live gig. But when I need to do something at home and don't want to have to deal with the iPad.

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2014, 04:28:17 PM »
I may start another fire here, but are all these new digital/iOS/any other tablet/laptop controllable mixers really really ready for mainstream use at this time? The idea is amazing for such lower prices, but... Some may attribute my comment to the fact that due to either my fault or a localized quantum singularity appearing next to my DL/iPad on the last day of a 30 day return policy kinda strange. Or is there really something to consider here? I actually really do love tech.

Another example...

Last nights gig with my FR-7X and BK-7M backing module started out all of a sudden with the right hand keys playing a half tone lower than the accompaniment. It was working perfectly during my setup but glitched when starting my set. A quick complete power off and reboot corrected the issue and the gig went off without further issues. Quantum singularity indeed! My mixer of choice for this setup is a Mackie 402-VLZ3, all analog and sooo reliable. This time it was Roland tech that glitched. No, I am definitely not going to dump my Roland gear due to one problem.  :P Contrary to popular belief. :)

I guess this all boils down to tech being so sophisticated that it just naturally acts up now and again.  ???

« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 04:59:50 PM by Keyboard Magic »

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #71 on: April 29, 2014, 05:19:36 PM »
Yes I call that the "DOS" syndrome. We've all been conditioned to reboot (power of and on)when some digital item doesn't work. Bill Gate's contribution to computers, way to go Bill. It's most likely the reason not many report it as a problem if they can even figure out it's a problem. ::)
KM stay away from that Aurora Borealis and all those emanating Quarks. :)
When in doubt KISS

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2014, 05:29:16 PM »
WK154;

I remember writing batch file menus and login scripts way back in the day, even 8 inch floppy disks and drives. The ole command line was the best!  ::) Okay how about hard drives that took up tons of computer room space? Must be old or something.  x(   ;) Maybe if I had this on my music stand things would have gone better?

http://roshipotoshi.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/episode-4-the-beast-below-mkv_0010585591.jpg?w=408&h=228
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 05:35:49 PM by Keyboard Magic »

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #73 on: May 12, 2014, 01:58:32 AM »
Hold onto your chairs!

After all my posting, particular experience with, and subsequent return of my DL, a whole lot of questions and research about other digital mixers and trying other virtual fader control software, I find myself being drawn back to the DL1608. For me, the software (Master Fader) was and is the easiest and most comfortable to operate. I really did give the other software a complete run through albeit actually having the hardware to go along with it. Maybe just maybe another Master Fader update will improve the sync/poor communications issues?

And at this point, you’re all thinking, HUH??? ARE YOU NUTS?? You should have just kept your original one and waited!!!!! Maybe I am and just a little bit (please fill in your own colorful metaphors here). But I guess it’s “Better the devil you know, than the Devil you don’t” Before it crapped out due to operator error (updating without thinking to iOS 7.1.1) or something else, it was excellent. It was a known quantity even with some possible minor and sometimes irritating issues that have only befallen a few of us. I also just may have suddenly fallen into a parallel universe. But I am seriously considering jumping back into the DL1608 Phenomenon once again.

Okay, okay, if you’ve fallen on the floor from laughing so hard from reading this, you can now get back into your chairs. Just put this post down to sudden insanity (maybe already insane long ago) on my part. No I have not been smoking any funny stuff either.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #74 on: May 12, 2014, 03:10:57 AM »
Being that most of us that updated to ios 7.1.1 without any issues, maybe you just had a lemon DL1608.  If I had a particularly bad experience with a single model of car, I doubt that I would indict the entire brand for a lemon.
And I have never been laughing.  What happened to you is unfortunate, and I can see how returning the unit while you were able was the right move for you.  If you jump in again, I hope your experience is closer to mine.  (Pretty good.)  Got to admit that QSC's mixer looks good.  Don't know if the price would scare me off, but I don't change mixers very quickly and fully expect to be using this mixer for the next few years.  Whatever you end up doing, we only want you to have a good experience from now on.  (You are due.)