Author Topic: Used aux subs with DL1608 last week  (Read 9715 times)

abzurd

Used aux subs with DL1608 last week
« on: March 31, 2014, 05:13:46 PM »
I usually use an Ashly XR-1001 and don't go aux fed. On Saturday I thought I'd bypass the Ashly and try it with the new HPF and LPF in the DL1608. It worked well and I'll probably continue. It's nice to hear the click of the kick by itself and then add the right amount of thud. Helps balance the bass guitar too. It's faster than tweaking EQ too. Only issue I had is during the break music I use the mute groups to mute all the auxes and forgot to unmute the sub aux at first.

seventhson

• Padawan
Re: Used aux subs with DL1608 last week
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 12:52:04 AM »
I love running aux fed subs and I was really happy when they added that ability with the HPF/LPF.  I found it works great for clubs that fill up halfway through the show or weddings that start low and then build up.   Allows you to bring up the bottom end without having to re EQ each channel.  Also keeps all that mess out of the subs from vocal mics, etc. 

Yorgaki1

• Padawan
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 11:43:30 PM »
I didn't realize that they had added that feature of the high and low pass filters. Are there any proper instructions posted anywhere I'm using QSC H PR 112 hi packs and HPR 118 subs and usually use the built-in crossovers but I know they would sound better run with the aux fed subs set up thanks!

abzurd

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 11:53:56 PM »
I didn't realize that they had added that feature of the high and low pass filters. Are there any proper instructions posted anywhere I'm using QSC H PR 112 hi packs and HPR 118 subs and usually use the built-in crossovers but I know they would sound better run with the aux fed subs set up thanks!

The speakers you use already have the LPF and HPF built in. While you can use the ones on the mixer there's no inherent reason to do so. You simply run the mains output to your tops and an aux output to the subs (so 2 XLR cables to each side). You'll either daisy chain the subs or split the signal, You can use a Y cable, but a dedicated line splitter would be better. I use an EWI MST-103.

Yorgaki1

• Padawan
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 02:37:28 AM »

The speakers you use already have the LPF and HPF built in. While you can use the ones on the mixer there's no inherent reason to do so. You simply run the mains output to your tops and an aux output to the subs (so 2 XLR cables to each side). You'll either daisy chain the subs or split the signal, You can use a Y cable, but a dedicated line splitter would be better. I use an EWI MST-103.

Perfect.  Aux out should be TRS to xlr male to avoid any noise correct?

abzurd

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 02:48:57 AM »
TRS is a balanced cable so technically you could use a TRS to TRS cable if your speakers have the input option. It's just easier to carry a pigtail adapter so you can just use XLR cables for everything. You can probably just use a Y adapter too for splitting the aux to 2 subs. I use the fancy box because I have it.

Tbranella

• Youngling
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 01:39:44 PM »
I don't believe the aux outs are TRS.... they are 1/4" mono.

CyberHippy

• Padawan
  • Bass Bass Bass
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 02:44:49 PM »
I don't believe the aux outs are TRS.... they are 1/4" mono.

They are TRS 1/4" mono.

"TRS" is a format that can be used for either stereo (headphones) or mono (balanced) feeds.

abzurd

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 05:14:16 PM »
Yep.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 05:16:18 PM by abzurd »

seventhson

• Padawan
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 06:57:19 PM »
You can probably just use a Y adapter too for splitting the aux to 2 subs. I use the fancy box because I have it.

I'm unsure of the way the OPs sub are set up but but my Yorkville 801P's have an input/output to chain the subs together from one output.  I just run left/right to my tops and Aux6 to the first sub inline then chain as many as I need off that.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 07:02:26 PM by seventhson »

abzurd

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 07:10:34 PM »
You can probably just use a Y adapter too for splitting the aux to 2 subs. I use the fancy box because I have it.

I'm unsure of the way the OPs sub are set up but but my Yorkville 801P's have an input/output to chain the subs together from one output.  I just run left/right to my tops and Aux6 to the first sub inline then chain as many as I need off that.

Yep. I mentioned daisy chaining earlier in the thread.

Tbranella

• Youngling
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2014, 07:32:14 PM »
Ummmmm....  no..
TRS is Tip,Ring, Sleve..  and used for balanced inputs.
1/4" mono is unbalanced... it isn't TRS because there is no "ring".

seventhson

• Padawan
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2014, 07:32:39 PM »

Yep. I mentioned daisy chaining earlier in the thread.

Dont see how I missed that.  Hope my ears are better than my eyes.  Sorry.

seventhson

• Padawan
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2014, 07:36:34 PM »
Copied from the Mackie website.  The AUX sends are balanced (TRS)

Are the outputs line level?  Balanced?
All outputs on the mixer are line level balanced outputs. The aux sends are impedance balanced on 1/4 inch TRS. The main LR outputs are on balanced XLR.

Tbranella

• Youngling
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2014, 07:48:56 PM »
cool! 

like I said... I wasn't sure.