Author Topic: Anyone still using MF on an iPad 1  (Read 19074 times)

Harpman

• Knight
  • “If music be the food of love, play on"
    • Stefani Entertainment
Anyone still using MF on an iPad 1
« on: April 01, 2014, 04:30:28 PM »
I'm currently using my iPad 3 docked to the DL1608 and my iPad Air for FOH.  I just got an iPad mixing app (Auria) working with my 2 Focusrite 18i20's and it sees all 16 channels.  I'm using a splitter snake where 16 channels go to the DL and 16 go to the Focusrite units connected via an ADAT cable.  Auria doesn't see all my channels 9-16 (ADAT) when using the iPad 1 (works great with the iPad Air). With that being said, I want to use my iPad 1 for FOH connected to my Airport Express Wifi. That way I can use the iPad Air with Auria to do multitrack recordings at gigs.  Any thoughts?
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment
"We Bring Good Music to Life"

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
Re: Anyone still using MF on an iPad 1
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 04:46:01 PM »
I still have one Harpman, it works ok but much better when undocked:)
The older I get, the better I was!

Oddeotek

• Padawan
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 04:56:52 PM »
I'm still using my iPad 1, running 2.1.1, docked as a backup. It still works well although, when I use it wirelessly, I notice a slight delay in the response from the mixer compared to the iPad Mini that I use FOH. I will probably swap it out with my wife's iPad 2 when MF no longer supports it since she has GAS for the iPad Air. That being said, if I only had the iPad 1 right now, I would still be content using it wirelessly for the gigs I cover. I use an Apple express for WiFi and it's performed flawlessly for the last 17 months.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 05:23:43 PM »
I thought that I was a gear junky but you're passing me by. Did Kat at Auria fix your issue with iPad 1 or was it only with 3 ? I still don't see the need for the splitter snake is there a catch?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 05:26:01 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Harpman

• Knight
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 06:56:36 PM »
Bill, you know me.  I'm a technology junkie much like you :lol:. Kat is actually with Focusrite and IMHO, the best they've got in support.  She seems to think it's an Audio Core issue on the iPad 1.  It's interesting that the Audio Core settings show up in Auria when connected to my iPad Air, but not on the iPad 1.  I will tell you something, if I could design a powered hub that can both charge the iPad and also be able to connect the interface side to my 18i20, I would get rich and retire tomorrow.  My worry is using Auria on my iPad Air and worrying about draining it during a 3-4 hour gig.  I would naturally turn off all the normal stuff (i.e. Bluetooth, WiFi, Notifications, etc.).  Going to try this scenario with The Acoustic Groove this Thursday and Friday and see how it works out.  Curious to see how much the Auria app draws.  I turned off all the FX in Auria and running dry.  I can level and fix FX post production.  I think I have the most compact rig (My Studio-On-Wheels) now that I can take to live gigs and record.

Thanks Oddeotek and Robbocurry for your input.  Yeah, I wouldn't chance docking the iPad 1 and I agree, the Apple Express has been flawless for me as well.
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment

Harpman

• Knight
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 07:03:24 PM »
I thought that I was a gear junky but you're passing me by. Did Kat at Auria fix your issue with iPad 1 or was it only with 3 ?
I still don't see the need for the splitter snake is there a catch?

In regards to the splitter snake, yes there is a catch.  I don't have to rely on the DL for anything.  No daisy chaining, worries about Pre's overloading, etc.  Seismic Audio makes the splitter snake (http://www.seismicaudiospeakers.com/rack-mount-16-channel-splitter-snake-2-15-trunks/p/SARMSS-16x1515#.UzsNE_ldV8E)  Got it for $183 with discount and free shipping!
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 08:17:24 PM »
I have what your describing for the 30 pin connector and of course there is a 30 pin to N connector converter (Yuk!). I would imagine that by now they also have a N to USB/SD powered hub. The unit uses the Apple wall wart for a power supply.
Here is the link to the item.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-3-Port-Hub-Camera-Connection-Combo-Kit-Card-Reader-Adapter-for-iPad-2-3-NEW-/230994161528?pt=US_Memory_Card_Readers_USB_Host_Adapters&hash=item35c8532f78
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 09:00:14 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

abzurd

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 08:33:05 PM »
I still use an ipad1. Sometimes I use it on it's own mic stand off to the side so I can use it as a second mixing point. Other times it just sits as a backup. Mackie will have to do some pretty impressive updates as it will cost me $200+ for a backup ipad if I adopt future releases of masterfader. At this point the only thing I see that would entice me would be multi-track recording, which is absolutely possible, the #1 requested enhancement, and one Mackie will need to stay competitive with the other small "tablet" mixers, which will all have the capability, either out of the box or by expansion.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2014, 09:03:06 PM »
I thought that I was a gear junky but you're passing me by. Did Kat at Auria fix your issue with iPad 1 or was it only with 3 ?
I still don't see the need for the splitter snake is there a catch?

In regards to the splitter snake, yes there is a catch.  I don't have to rely on the DL for anything.  No daisy chaining, worries about Pre's overloading, etc.  Seismic Audio makes the splitter snake (http://www.seismicaudiospeakers.com/rack-mount-16-channel-splitter-snake-2-15-trunks/p/SARMSS-16x1515#.UzsNE_ldV8E)  Got it for $183 with discount and free shipping!
I trust you're only using one of the phantom power sources!!! DL or Focusrite or none at all.
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2014, 09:45:51 PM »
Any minor update from now on will blow all iPad 1's out of the water. Since Feb all new posts to the Appstore must be compiled with the new development environment no exceptions! Which eliminates iOS 5 or earlier.
When in doubt KISS

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2014, 10:02:02 PM »
Abzurd multitracking will never be possible with the current dl. It's a hardware issue. Not software or firmware based. I won't debate that here. It has been beaten to death.

Gio, do not rely on Auria to record a long gig or even a set. I have used it at gigs, rehearsals, and recoding many times. If you record too long it will get stuck in processing and crash. You will lose everything you have recorded. I have made this mistake a few times. And with an iPad 3, 4, and air. I forgot all about it the last time I used Auria. I was playing a gig and recording 8 channels. Just me and a drummer. I recorded our first set. Was using an iPad 4 this time. Set was about 40 minutes. I stopped the iPad and realized right away there was going to be an issue. Because of the past lesson I forgot. It started its processing and I dared not to touch a thing. After about 20 minutes it crashed. First set gone. I knew better as this is the norm. I recorded the rest of the evening but I made sure to stop Auria after each song. I just start recording a short time later. I recorded two 40-45 minute sets no issues as long as I stopped between each song or 2. Any more than 10 minutes straight and I would worry. Trust me because if you don't you will regret it.

Remember Auria was deigned to record songs. It's a daw. How long are songs, 2-6 minutes? It's not meant for long linear recording. It was never designed that way. For long recording I would use a two track recorder like tascam PCM recorder. I recorded over 2 hours at a gig no problem. Actually one problem. I forgot to stop it on a break. That's why it was 2 hours. Doh.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2014, 02:18:42 AM »
Newsflash!! Mackie announced today that they will have multichannel recording ability in their next release of Master Fader. Ben "Olswangatang" Olswang the product manager for the DL series of mixers admitted today that the overwhelming requests and the fierce competition offering this feature forced them to implement it.  Delivery of the software will of course follow Mackie's established procedure for all new software, sometime sooner or later. The elusive DL bug of "loss of sync and white noise music" has now been officially named as project Sasquatch. It will be solved as soon as they have physical evidence of it's existence.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 02:23:34 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2014, 02:21:30 AM »
... and a happy April Fools day to you too :) .

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2014, 02:24:07 AM »
Killjoy  >:D
When in doubt KISS

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2014, 05:35:51 AM »