Author Topic: Anyone still using MF on an iPad 1  (Read 19040 times)

Harpman

• Knight
  • 的f music be the food of love, play on"
    • Stefani Entertainment
Re: Anyone still using MF on an iPad 1
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2014, 11:58:34 AM »
Newsflash!! Mackie announced today that they will have multichannel recording ability in their next release of Master Fader. Ben "Olswangatang" Olswang the product manager for the DL series of mixers admitted today that the overwhelming requests and the fierce competition offering this feature forced them to implement it.  Delivery of the software will of course follow Mackie's established procedure for all new software, sometime sooner or later. The elusive DL bug of "loss of sync and white noise music" has now been officially named as project Sasquatch. It will be solved as soon as they have physical evidence of it's existence.

Now that's funny and one of the best April fools jokes I've seen!!
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment
"We Bring Good Music to Life"

Harpman

• Knight
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2014, 12:14:28 PM »
Abzurd multitracking will never be possible with the current dl. It's a hardware issue. Not software or firmware based. I won't debate that here. It has been beaten to death.

Gio, do not rely on Auria to record a long gig or even a set. I have used it at gigs, rehearsals, and recoding many times. If you record too long it will get stuck in processing and crash. You will lose everything you have recorded. I have made this mistake a few times. And with an iPad 3, 4, and air. I forgot all about it the last time I used Auria. I was playing a gig and recording 8 channels. Just me and a drummer. I recorded our first set. Was using an iPad 4 this time. Set was about 40 minutes. I stopped the iPad and realized right away there was going to be an issue. Because of the past lesson I forgot. It started its processing and I dared not to touch a thing. After about 20 minutes it crashed. First set gone. I knew better as this is the norm. I recorded the rest of the evening but I made sure to stop Auria after each song. I just start recording a short time later. I recorded two 40-45 minute sets no issues as long as I stopped between each song or 2. Any more than 10 minutes straight and I would worry. Trust me because if you don't you will regret it.

Remember Auria was deigned to record songs. It's a daw. How long are songs, 2-6 minutes? It's not meant for long linear recording. It was never designed that way. For long recording I would use a two track recorder like tascam PCM recorder. I recorded over 2 hours at a gig no problem. Actually one problem. I forgot to stop it on a break. That's why it was 2 hours. Doh.

JL, thanks for the info.  I just recorded 3 channels for 20 minutes straight.  Used 1% of battery and 418MB of storage.  If calculations were perfect :), 4 hours would be 12% of battery and around 5GB of storage for a 4 hour gig.  The reason I want to use Auria is so I don't have to lug my laptop with me like I have in the past.  I'm also running everything dry (no FX), that way I can take the .wav files into Sonar X3 post-production and add them there.  We have 2 - 3hr gigs coming up this Thursday / Friday, so I will give it a go and report my findings.  My issue with a 2-track recorder is you only get one shot at it.  If I find later that the vocals aren't balanced, guitar is too hot, etc., I can't adjust it post-production. I already have a Tascam PCM recorder and don't use it for that reason.  Auria is do to release another update including a bug fix that I had found regarding the preview.wav file and exporting to Dropbox.
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2014, 03:18:01 PM »
Gio I'm just trying to help. I have done a rehearsal which was 50-60 minutes and only 4 tracks. It worked. But I can tell you by experience that was a fluke. More often than not I have the issue I described. So if you are playing long night try to stop Auria as often as possible. Which iPad are you planning in using? The air? I would assume that would handle long recordings the best. Faster processing. But still wouldn't it suck to lose everything? Better safe than sorry. But if you want to do it as an experiment to see if it crashes or not I would love to hear your results. Also why would you record a 3-4 hour night straight without stopping it on breaks. I really don't think you, or your band, plays with no breaks in a 3-4 hour gig.

Harpman

• Knight
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2014, 06:53:14 PM »
JL, really appreciate all your great input.  Yeah, will be the IPad Air and we do take breaks, so my plan is to stop in between.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2014, 12:27:24 PM »
Gio just recorded a band last night. We were recording to a multitrack recorder. So I brought an iPad 4 to test things for ya. I always close everything but Auria. I recorded first for 35-40 minutes, 12 tracks, and as expected I lost everything. I did just under 20 minutes the second time and all was ok. I wouldn't dare risk more.

Harpman

• Knight
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2014, 04:39:12 PM »
JL, let me ask you, did your iPad 4 lockup?  Did you run out of storage in the iPad.  I've has that happen and there's nothing you can do but force close Auria and reboot the iPad. Tonight I'm recording, but it's not a show stopper if things go awry.
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2014, 05:08:10 PM »
Storage was fine. It is a 64gb with about 60 free. Yes I have experienced to iPad lockup too. But, as I have said, only with long takes. And restart has been necessary. I really don't want to go over 10 min. 20 is pushing it. It's really not hard to stop and start recording.

Harpman

• Knight
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2014, 07:02:10 PM »
Storage was fine. It is a 64gb with about 60 free. Yes I have experienced to iPad lockup too. But, as I have said, only with long takes. And restart has been necessary. I really don't want to go over 10 min. 20 is pushing it. It's really not hard to stop and start recording.

JL, correct, stopping and starting the recording is no problem, but will it create a new .wav file for each take.  Audio 01-1.wav, Audio 01-2.wav and so on. Not a big deal if it does, because I can just append them in my Sonar X3 DAW.  Their Export to Dropbox has issues and I wish there was a better solution than jailbreaking my iPad and using some kind of file manage (i.e. iFile).  I think with a 32GB iPad with 16GB free, I should be okay to record 3 hours (broken into segments). What do you think?  We are talking 3 vocal tracks, 2 guitar tracks and 1 harmonica track.
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment

Harpman

• Knight
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2014, 07:04:17 PM »
JL,

I was curious to if you use any of the FX in Auria.  I have all that turned off.  Totally dry recording.
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2014, 07:50:14 PM »
Gio, only raw tracks. Zero processing. If you start and stop it will be a continuous file for the track. If you have one track and stop and restart 50 times it will be one track. Same for all tracks. One was just an example.

I just recorded me and my drummer throughout an entire night. Starting and stopping between each song and two breaks. (Didn't stop first set as I said earlier and lost it all.) It was 8 channels in. I transferred it to my computer and was 8 tracks of about 85 minutes. I then edit in studio one 2. Sometimes I will make a new song during a break to separate the sets
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 07:56:06 PM by Jerrylee »

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2014, 08:05:34 PM »
Their Export to Dropbox has issues and I wish there was a better solution than jailbreaking my iPad and using some kind of file manage (i.e. iFile).
Just use iFunBox, it works fine without needing a jailbreak :) .

Harpman

• Knight
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2014, 08:07:53 PM »
Gio, only raw tracks. Zero processing. If you start and stop it will be a continuous file for the track. If you have one track and stop and restart 50 times it will be one track. Same for all tracks. One was just an example.

I just recorded me and my drummer throughout an entire night. Starting and stopping between each song and two breaks. (Didn't stop first set as I said earlier and lost it all.) It was 8 channels in. I transferred it to my computer and was 8 tracks of about 85 minutes. I then edit in studio one 2. Sometimes I will make a new song during a break to separate the sets

I'm missing something here?  Take a look at the snapshot of Auria (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8brxexr820pyn2r/hltBxY8aT5). if I touch 1, 2 or 3 during recording it stops the recording.  When I re-arm by hitting #3 and start recording (#2), I get multiple audio tracks (i.e. Audio 01-1, Audio 01-2, etc.
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2014, 08:28:33 PM »
I'll have to double check that. It's possible that my daw know which belongs where and pieces it all together for me. Or maybe it's the way I transfer it. Or a setting?

I would prefer each song to be its own track. It would help me seperate the songs quickly.

But if that's the case would it not mess with things like recording a vocal line, stopping where there is no vocal, and restarting when they are needed again? Which I have done. Yet all tracks sync up fine.

Harpman

• Knight
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2014, 08:49:37 PM »
I'll have to double check that. It's possible that my daw know which belongs where and pieces it all together for me. Or maybe it's the way I transfer it. Or a setting?

I would prefer each song to be its own track. It would help me seperate the songs quickly.

But if that's the case would it not mess with things like recording a vocal line, stopping where there is no vocal, and restarting when they are needed again? Which I have done. Yet all tracks sync up fine.

If my GF (Kepi) is on Channel 1 (Audio 01), it would just be a matter of appending all the takes (i.e. Audio 01-1, Audio 01-2, Audio 01-3, etc.).  It least if something happened in Auria, I would still have the last take. Not a big deal since I slice and dice anyway when I work in Sonar.
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment

Harpman

• Knight
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2014, 01:56:25 AM »
JL, So far so good.  Did 30 minutes and stopped. Scared me for a minute while it was processing the project

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment