Author Topic: Output from DL1608 - mono left or y cable?  (Read 8952 times)

backbonerocks

• Initiate
Output from DL1608 - mono left or y cable?
« on: April 02, 2014, 12:16:48 AM »
i just got the dl1608 and haven't even tried it out yet at a gig. i have an rta and eq i'm goin to run thru from the mixer to some powered subs  and tops. should i just run from the left side or i thought about gettin a xlr y cable? any one else have this come up.. if so, what did you end up doin.. any suggestions? i'm leanin towards gettin a y cable.. thanks, mark

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
Re: Output from DL1608 - mono left or y cable?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 02:12:26 AM »
It's a bad idea to use a "Y" cable to short together two outputs - just use one of the outputs.

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 04:14:55 AM »
+1 on not using a Y cable.

Also curious why you'd bother with an external eq as the DL has GEQ and PEQ on all the outputs.

Cheers

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 07:25:35 AM »
Especially being that you have a RTA to flatten the output using the 31 band EQ on any output.  Also with subs and mains, you can use the HPF and LPF on the Aux and Mains.  (Or two Auxes.)  As others have reminded users, remember to check and see what output you're looking at.  (Easy to be looking at the wrong one.  The color coding helps, but with 7 different outputs, the colors are close to each other.) 

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 08:57:55 AM »
+1 more for not using y cables to sum outputs (TBH, I'm not sure you can buy one with 2 x XLRF and one XLRM). Y cables work well to feed two inputs from one output (two amp channels from a single aux, two mic inputs, live desk and DAW from one mic etc) but you need some way of isolating one output from the other if you sum outputs or you are driving one output with the other, not what they were designed for and potentially damaging.

Topsøe

• Knight
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 09:12:59 AM »
Go straight from the outputs to the speakers, and put the rta on the headphone out , that way you can monitor all outputs with the rta
If in doubt ask

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 01:22:33 PM »
RTA on headphone outs?  I don't think so.  You miss the speakers and amps.  Amps are usually flat.  Speakers are rarely flat.  The largest problems for EQ response are usually Speakers and Microphones.  I haven't heard anything from my DL that makes me think it's far from flat.  Keep in mind that for a RTA to be accurate, you need a reference microphone.  (Something you would never use for anything else.)  One came with my DOD RTA and I also got them with the DriveRack PX.  You can purchase them separately.  It's probably the weak point when using a smart phone for a RTA.  I've got an app for my iphone that includes a RTA.  I don't use that for set up and wouldn't trust it that much.  It is convenient.  Also, the iphone's internal mic is only good for up to 110 dbc.  (I hate playing that loud.  My last band got crazy and went off the scale.) 

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 03:32:45 PM »
Yes there is no point going to the rta from the headphones. You need a reference mic that needs to hear the room. The rta needs to be connected inline between the amps and speaker, in this case powered speakers. I am assuming that the eq you referenced is built into the rta. Does the rta only have one xlr in/out? Usually the have two for L/R. I have never used an rta with the dl1608. To me it's adding unnecessary gear. But I guess some people need it. I have heard of people having success with the rta apps inside the iPad. If they work well I would stick with that. I think the iphone can run rta too. You could use 2 devices to set the room. One running rta the other master fader for the eqs. Makes for a much easier setup. If it works well.

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 03:39:09 PM »
Also, the iphone's internal mic is only good for up to 110 dbc.  (I hate playing that loud.  My last band got crazy and went off the scale.)

Rta measurements are usually not done close enough that it would be 110db. If you were playing for me at 110db I would throw you out. Most loud rock concerts are around 115 db. 110 db is still incredibly loud.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 05:27:47 PM »
Wynnd a few clarifications on RTA's and room equalization. There has been an ongoing discussion on flat versus other room curves (it's an opinionated field) so flat may not be your best choice. The best wording I can put to it is a smooth response curve. Removal of room standing waves, IMD, and other acoustic effects are the primary use for RTA evaluation. Most large venues have this equipment at the FOH station with the measuring mic (Dolby Theater etc.). Most high end measurement mics are flat in the audio range others can be compensated with a calibration table. The iPad/iPhone mics are more than sufficient for this type of work and with the right app produce excellent results. Anyone serious about this approach to setup should spend the $20 for AudioTools. Well worth every penny. I find and others concur that 1/3 octave RTA's are too coarse for setup work with parametric's and 1/12 or 1/24 octave is a better choice. If you want to deal with a 31 band graphic eq then 1/3 is useful. I have found that use of my PA+ still needed further adjustment and mic position can vary the results. It's a quick and dirty for inexperienced operators.
When in doubt KISS

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2014, 06:20:51 PM »
Wk I was wondering if you ever used an external mic with your iPad/iPhone and your rta software. I'm sure they have made the software to be calibrated to the iPhone/iPad mic. But I would think you would get better results with a true measurement mic. I have a blue icicle that allows me to connect a mic. And there are other external mics that can be used. If you have never done this do you know if the settings are there to use other mic options?

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2014, 06:35:25 PM »
TBH, I'm not sure you can buy one with 2 x XLRF and one XLRM.
Sure you can - I use them to "Y" together two identical dynamic mics when I'm short on channels. That's the only legitimate use for them that I can think of?

Topsøe

• Knight
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2014, 11:37:50 PM »
RTA on headphone outs?  I don't think so.  You miss the speakers and amps.  Amps are usually flat.  Speakers are rarely flat.  The largest problems for EQ response are usually Speakers and Microphones.  I haven't heard anything from my DL that makes me think it's far from flat.  Keep in mind that for a RTA to be accurate, you need a reference microphone.  (Something you would never use for anything else.)  One came with my DOD RTA and I also got them with the DriveRack PX.  You can purchase them separately.  It's probably the weak point when using a smart phone for a RTA.  I've got an app for my iphone that includes a RTA.  I don't use that for set up and wouldn't trust it that much.  It is convenient.  Also, the iphone's internal mic is only good for up to 110 dbc.  (I hate playing that loud.  My last band got crazy and went off the scale.)

Rta line in from headphone out , rta mic in from reference mic that way you can monitor the difference between mixer out and speaker out for set up , and use the rta for checking all outputs for annomalities during show
If in doubt ask

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2014, 12:07:06 AM »
Wk I was wondering if you ever used an external mic with your iPad/iPhone and your rta software. I'm sure they have made the software to be calibrated to the iPhone/iPad mic. But I would think you would get better results with a true measurement mic. I have a blue icicle that allows me to connect a mic. And there are other external mics that can be used. If you have never done this do you know if the settings are there to use other mic options?
I am heavily entrenched in PC based software and certainly have better equipment and software in that area. I have measurement mics that are traceable to NIST (calibrated yearly) and have compared it to the iPad AudioTools results and unless you need verification for legal reasons it is more than enough for bar gig setups. Yes they have Class One certifiable add-on's but it's totally unnecessary for these applications. They also allow for calibration table input which is pretty much a standard in the industry. I was more interested in how they compared to the tools I already have and they are the only reason for possibly holding on to my iPad. I don't really use RTA I use the FFT at 1/24 octave res for setup. It provides me more detail and actual frequency values for offending sounds. I am impressed with the owners response to questions I had and I have suggested some additions to the package for the more music oriented user such as the music scales in addition to frequency scales. It's on his list for future improvements. :) Like I said before well worth the $20.
When in doubt KISS

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2014, 12:37:01 PM »
I was more interested in how they compared to the tools I already have and they are the only reason for possibly holding on to my iPad.

So are you saying you don't have a dl1608 anymore?