Author Topic: Just ordered a Qu-16  (Read 9269 times)

abzurd

Just ordered a Qu-16
« on: April 08, 2014, 02:03:28 AM »
I've just had it with connectivity issues. I thought I had it licked by wiping the ipad and starting over. Saturday night though the docked ipad 3 wouldn't sync and when I went to the connection screen it said it was trying to find the device name. I rebooted and still nothing, just a faders down, everything flat screen. The fact I had my original ipad was the only thing that saved me. I docked it and it synced, which then allowed me to wirelessly connect the ipad 3 and get it to sync, which then allowed me to replace the docked ipads. I don't have time for this crap every other show.

Adding to this is was the fact my original ipad was going to become obsolete so I was going to have to spend $300 for a backup to save my bacon. Frankly, except for the lag time, the ipad 1 has worked perfectly and the ipad 3 not so well. So I  saw my future of having 2 ipads and neither work at a show. Nah, time to cut bait.

I'll sell the DL1608 and my StudioLive, which hasn't been turned on in a year. That will finance the purchase as the Qu-16 can be had for around $1600 these days. I've also been Craigslisting outboard gear that I haven't used since getting the StudioLive in 2009. I'm not getting top dollar but, will never use the stuff again so keeping it seemed silly.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
Re: Just ordered a Qu-16
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 02:11:16 AM »
If I had to depend on the DL for shows it would have been gone long time ago I'm just hoping that Mackie will get their act together before I sell it so I don't have to sell a lemon. Right now it's just a lab guinea pig.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 02:15:24 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 03:24:36 AM »
What's with all the issues? For the more than a year I had mine it worked great. I guess you guys are having issues because you are relying on a docked iPad. Why not have it wireless? I never had one issue.

abzurd

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 03:41:23 AM »
What's with all the issues? For the more than a year I had mine it worked great. I guess you guys are having issues because you are relying on a docked iPad. Why not have it wireless? I never had one issue.

Well, mine doesn't and I've had enough. Best GUI out there, but it's not the most feature rich and if it can't be easy and reliable to use it doesn't work for me. By selling my SL and DL I can have multi-tracking, XLR auxes and more of them, a physical mixing surface, not have to buy another ipad to keep a viable backup, better EFX, and the mixer will live in the same rolling rack the DL is in now. It was really a no brainer when I thought about it.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 05:24:27 AM »
The Qu-16 is a pretty nice looking machine.  I'm not having your problems or at least not at those levels.  (Generally the DL works perfectly every time.  There was that one rehearsal, but nothing that happened would have prevented me from getting the job done.)  And I haven't had to resort to using My Fader on the iphone that I keep for emergencies.  (And with airplay working just fine, I can run wifi only with the ipad and provide break music with either the iphone or the ipad.)  When I used the ipad undocked last Saturday it only dropped to 75% on a 4 hour gig.  I'm OK with anything over 20% left over after a 4 hour gig.  One more note:  I attempted to charge my iphone from the airport express's USB port.  It says it's charging, but it's lying.  So carry a real USB charging cube with your stuff.

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 07:01:15 PM »
I probably can't say too much yet and maybe shouldn't comment but... I've only had my DL for about 3 weeks and no issues yet  ??? I keep one ipad 2 docked and use another ipad 2 for remote. No sync issues yet. Fingers eyes and toes crossed. The docked ipad 2 is a new one and the remote ipad 2 is 2 years old. I hope this is not a hint of things to come?
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 07:23:25 AM »
It's hard to beat real faders IMHO. The A&H forums have regular input and tech support from a staffer, very useful;)
Fortunately my DL hasn't given me the problems you've had, I still have a lot of work for it.
Good luck with your new desk when you get it, I'm sure you'll love it;)
The older I get, the better I was!

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 11:47:22 AM »
I'm still debating the Qu16/X32 Compact/old cheap 01V/keep or sell my studio gear conundrum. My dealer still hasn't got an ETA on the X32 but I don't have any gigs which need the new desk in the near future either, and my DL seems to work reliably so no particular hurry.

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 09:10:10 AM »
I'm still debating the Qu16/X32 Compact/old cheap 01V/keep or sell my studio gear conundrum. My dealer still hasn't got an ETA on the X32 but I don't have any gigs which need the new desk in the near future either, and my DL seems to work reliably so no particular hurry.
Interesting reading here Sam before you make your choice:
http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php?topic=145330.80

and this:
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/live-sound/861205-allen-heath-qu-16-vs-behringer-x32-series-3.html

You've maybe trawled these and lots of others already Sam ;)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 11:17:25 AM by robbocurry »

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2014, 01:14:43 PM »
That's for the links, I have read some of that stuff. My current thought is to find a way to buy an X32 Compact but keep my old (and virtually valueless in cash terms) GL2200 in my studio.

Regarding the other mixers, the Qu16 just doesn't have enough features to make it an attractive option and the 01V doesn't have iPad control or enough mic inputs.

I'm just doing my first musical for 35 years and the house desk is a 40 input GL3300, nice 'cos it's similar to my GL2200. I'm really missing compressors on every channel though (a couple of our sopranos probably contravene several strategic arms limitation treaty's  :lol:) and the ability to set scenes would make life somewhat less hectic at times. If I'm asked back next year I would hope to have a suitable desk, probably the X32 (and hire in an S16 to get the extra channels).

BTW, the show is a (very good) amateur production of Sweeney Todd, we have 15 radio mics plus 6 channels of orchestra mics and DIs so it's keeping me and my young assistant on our toes.

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2014, 09:33:15 PM »
That'll def keep you on your toes Sam! 15 channels of radio mics - did someone splash out on a whole new ch38 setup, that's a few quid there!! :eek:

seventhson

• Padawan
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2014, 09:42:18 PM »
Whew, 21 open mics.  You're a better man than me.  Sounds like fun though.

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2014, 10:52:27 PM »
Hey Abzurd,
When is your new desk scheduled to arrive?

abzurd

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2014, 11:07:45 PM »
It looks like Tuesday and I'll use on Friday.

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2014, 01:13:04 AM »
It looks like Tuesday and I'll use on Friday.
Sweet! I'm just running through a show I recorded on the qu drive on Wednesday night, everything is crystal clear. It's also given me a chance to fine tune some processing for the next gig with the same guys, the "virtual soundcheck". All hype aside, it's a very useful feature :thu: