Author Topic: Setup Pictures  (Read 16730 times)

seventhson

• Padawan
Setup Pictures
« on: April 08, 2014, 02:15:17 PM »
After using the DL1608 for the first show last weekend I've decided I'm going to keep it.  So now comes the task of racking it up and getting everything organized and show ready.  Most musicians and sound guys love setup pictures and I did a search and didnt find a thread about it.  I'm not quite done with my setup yet but I'll probably be posting a picture tonight but I'm always interested in seeing how other people run their rigs, what works for them and what doesnt.  Anyone have any setup pics of their gear in action?

seventhson

• Padawan
Re: Setup Pictures
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 07:53:45 PM »
Waste of time

What a ray of sunshine.   :lol:

Why is it a waste of time to try to learn what works and what doesnt from other people who are using similar equipment in similar environments?  In other forums I frequent, we share information and it helps everyone become better.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 08:10:06 PM by seventhson »

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 10:02:03 PM »
I'll shoot my mixing stack.  Haven't got a gig for a while.  On the other hand, it's more useful to know that on the outputs, I've got the LR running to a DriveRack PX and then to ZXA1s with matching subs.  Running Aux 1,2 linked into another DriveRack PX and on to a Crown XLS 1000 amp that I use for various stuff.  (Monitors, LF amp at my next gig......  It's not getting used too much right now.)  In the mixing stack I also have mounted with double sided tape, two wireless receivers for a headset and handheld mic.  I do a lot of political rallies and events and the handheld wireless gets used a lot and makes my life simpler.  (And yes, the DL1608 is rack mounted with the Mackie kit on the top with enough space above it to leave any connectors attached.)   

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 10:55:53 PM »
Either I don't understand the OP's request or PeterKorg doesn't.  I looked back at it and it reads to me as the OP wants to see what the system looks like when you have it setup.  The way I'm reading PK's reply is that he thinks the OP is talking about saved shows.  Maybe I don't understand PK's replies.  We could use some clarity here.

Trshot

• Punster
  • Padawan
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 11:44:03 PM »
Hi seventhson,

Here's my setup, I made up three cable runs that are permanently hardwired in my rig, one for stage inputs, one for amp rack and one for drum kit. I show up for a gig, whip out three runs and done, breakdown is in minutes!

« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 03:03:31 AM by Trshot »

seventhson

• Padawan
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 03:44:23 AM »
What Trshot posted was exactly what I was referring to.  Thanks!   That looks like a great setup.   Is that a light behind the Mackie by the outputs?  I am swapping over to the DL from a MixWiz in a rolling rack with DBX EQs, three stereo comps (run 6 mono), a 4 channel gate and a few effects.  It was tall enough that I could comfortably mix standing up.  I was trying to scale down in size, leave the DL pretty much side stage and not have to deal with long snake runs.  This is what I came up with tonight.  I'll see how it works out.  I had to fabricate the rack shelf out of spare parts I had in the garage (a slotted shelf and some rack ears that I had laying around).  It's in a Gator rolling case with everything attached to the shelf and all cables neatly tied up underneath.  All I have to do it attach the input/output cables. 

« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 03:50:13 AM by seventhson »

Trshot

• Punster
  • Padawan
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 05:01:56 AM »
I had a MixWiz as well before the DL. . I  modified my rack by lowering the slant top so I could leave the inputs connected. Believe me it saves a lot of time! Yes, I have a switched dimmable light controlled from the front panel of the Furman It's there so I have instant light  inside the rear of the  cabinet if needed. With all  my processors gone I've added three drawers for mics, spare cables, connectors, tools, etc...

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 05:02:35 AM »
OK, I'm not quite an idiot.  I put one of those under cabinet battery operated LED lights in the bottom back of my case to easily light up any internal connections I need to make.  (Like the outputs to subs or FOH.)  In one position, they are movement sensitive and shut off when not making any connections back there.  (Can be useful.) I also have a magnetic flashlight that normally hangs off any metal in the rack.  (Think it's sticking to the mixer's rack mount underside.)  I just love LEDs.  They run forever on batteries.  I'm surprised to see all these pictures using Apple's Airport Express.  (Current version, just like the one on my rack.)  What is it that caused so many people to purchase the exact same unit?  I've recently got a stereo out to dual XLRs to run AirPlay.  Very slick, now that I know how to use it.  (One of the least intuitive Apple controls I've ever seen.)  I know that won't work for everyone, but I still have about 5 extra channels after using two for Airplay.  (And I'm more than willing to add my Alesis Multimix 16 firewire mixer if I ever did need a lot of extra channels.  I use it for recording normally.) 

Trshot

• Punster
  • Padawan
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 05:40:35 AM »
I had the light there with all the outboard gear I had and left it of course after all was removed. As you mentioned Wynnd, with all the connections  back there you need to light up when something in the signal chain isn't working! Apples AP express has been widely talked about in both the old Mackie forum and this one as well. I'll bet a very large majority here are using it!

seventhson

• Padawan
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2014, 12:04:59 PM »
I read about the Express here as well and I really like that I can stream break music wirelessly using it.  Especially since I'll be leaving the board side stage for the most part now.   I really like that rolling rack you have.  Makes me reconsider what I did.   Maybe move the MixWiz to a smaller case (for backup) and buy some drawers for mics.  I'm currently using a rolling case for all my mics but that's because I wanted to leave the mics onstage while setting up and didn't want to keep running back to the mix position.   Having everything by the stage would alliviate that.   
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 01:33:52 PM by seventhson »

Trshot

• Punster
  • Padawan
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2014, 04:25:39 PM »
I'm a less is more kinda guy, I try to streamline my setup and breakdown time. This roller is on stage so mics, cables, adapters, DI's, tools, etc are steps away. I use a rolling trunk that has my lights at the bottom, speaker stands, poles and mic stands on a removable mid shelf and then two drop in boxes for speaker cables, back up cables, power drops, etc. I used alum 90* angle stock to support shelf and boxes. I can load my mains or mons on top and roll a lot more gear with less trips!

seventhson

• Padawan
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2014, 04:48:58 PM »
I'm the same way.  I'd rather have a few big cases on wheels than a bunch of little case.  After I bought my trailer about 10 years ago I switched over to the big cases.  For most clubs around here, I can have everything I need in the club within 15-20 minutes.  Set up usually takes about an hour.  Makes a world of difference when you are only making 3-4 trips to the trailer rather than 8-9.

Trshot

• Punster
  • Padawan
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2014, 05:45:15 PM »
Just by making up cable drops I'm set up in about 1/2 hr. I only have three drops ( 21 cables) to roll and I'm done with the stage. The only time consumer are my speaker runs as they are individual and it's not a lot of time. It all makes it soooo much easier especially at the end of the night when I wanna go home!  :lol:

seventhson

• Padawan
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2014, 05:56:09 PM »
Very nice.  I'm thinking about leaving my little 8 channel snake plugged in and just running that to the drums each time.  That should shave a few minutes off setup.  I'm using all powered speakers (mons and mains) so like you, running the speaker lines takes a minimal amount of time.  I'm usually waiting on the guys to set up their equipment so I can mic it all up.  I'm always looking for ways to save time.  Bands around here usually play until 2-2:30 AM so I'm done at the end of the night and ready to go home.

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2014, 09:39:39 PM »
Hi everyone,
I am selling my SKB case that I use for the DL1608. ALREADY SOLD!

This is a two space case but I am in need of a four space case just like it so I can add two splitters as well as the two wireless mic receivers.

Only the case is included, not the mixer, iPad, wireless router, wireless receivers or audio connectors.... just to be clear :)

I would take $120.00 USD PayPal which I believe is very reasonable.
If you are interested here is the eBay item number 161280496878

Thanks everyone and Happy Easter!
Dan   

« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 10:59:18 PM by dpdan »