Author Topic: Jumping into the DL1608 Phenomenon  (Read 29895 times)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
Re: Jumping into the DL1608 Phenomenon
« Reply #75 on: May 12, 2014, 07:50:19 AM »
Your off your meds again!  :) Anxiety attacks can be costly when you don't know what to do with the two iPad 2's. Here's my suggestion. Buy the Audio Tools suite from Studio Six play with it until the QSC Touchmix hits the stores and buy it. I'm not sure we could handle another round of DL saga. ;)
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #76 on: May 12, 2014, 12:12:33 PM »
Buying a brand new product without a history could easily be a repeat.  Got to admit it looks good, but it will take at least a year for the bugs to be exposed or cured after its release.  There are no perfect answers here, and anything you do has some level of risk.  (Even purchasing a MixWiz has a small amount of risk.)   So do what you want.  You will always have at least verbal support from here.

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #77 on: May 12, 2014, 12:25:49 PM »
WK, Yes I am definitely a channel strip short of a complete mixer  :P I will give your good suggestion more thought. And Wynnd, thank you for your kind words too. After all my wacky posts, I think a new platform would be the way to go, even if it is an unknown. But from what I have heard and researched, QSC products in general are respected in the industry. Feature wise the TouchMix looks good. It retails here for $1449.00 as opposed to the DL for $1099.99

As for changing brands believe it or not, my non powered and powered speakers have and always will be Yorkville. If Yorkville ever made a digital mixer, I wouldn't hesitate. But I am willing to give a brand another chance however, and thusly my post about possibly going back to the DL once again even though I had an unreliable unit. If there wasn't an upcoming gig depending on the DL, I just might of hung on to it. And there was the last day of a 30 day return policy motivation too.  ;)

To good experiences, gear or other wise, this forum has been a very good experience since I joined. Everyone has been great.  :thu: I respect all comments and suggestions.  ;) Thank you one and all once more!!  :)

WK; To quote you " I'm not sure we could handle another round of DL saga"  Neither could I   :lol:
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 12:46:19 PM by Keyboard Magic »
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #78 on: May 12, 2014, 02:41:15 PM »
I base my recommendation on the fact that Mackie has now known about this problem for over a year and unfortunately has done nothing about it. That's not a good reaction for any company looking for referrals or repeat business. Don't get me wrong, others have had similar problems but they were fixed with a high priority. This is the same attitude Phonic chose with their digital mixer line. Manufacturers support is essential especially if they refuse to provide support documentation (schematics and code). Mackie's track record with digital mixers has been less than stellar and apparently is continuing with that trend. What are the chances of seeing a solution to this. If they assigned an engineer to this, I believe they already know the answer and it's too expensive to implement so their willing to ride it out. Yes this is a lemon product and I'll venture a guess that the solution offered will be the DL II upgrade.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 02:48:14 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #79 on: May 12, 2014, 04:12:13 PM »
WK;

Just emailed Mackie with my past issue with the DL and got a reply from them in about an hour, here's a piece of the reply that supports your last post to me.

"We have had no reported issues from thousands of users with iOS7.1.1. It has been out for some time and we have tested it fully with Master Fader.  I’d obviously like to know more about the problems you discovered but I don’t believe they were caused by iOS7.1.1"

I'm glad they are at least reading and responding quite fast though.
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #80 on: May 12, 2014, 04:19:35 PM »
Yes and they also replied to dozens of users on the sync problem on Facebook and are "working on it" and they replied to me after some prodding on the pin one problem but none have been fixed.  :( See thread:
http://cacophony.aspinock.com/index.php?topic=383.msg2533#msg2533
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 04:41:34 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

James91104

• Knight
« Reply #81 on: May 12, 2014, 10:13:41 PM »
Jumping in to this thread with an obvious first post on this forum, motivated by a desire to share personal experiences pertinent to the OP`s original and evolved topic.
   I currently own and use in live sound support scenarios a DL1608, Behringer X32, Presonus SL1642, and therefore have opinions of the aforementioned derived from experiences in the field.

Purchased the Presonus on 01/12 upon anticipated release and installation of Universal Control 1.53 and the corresponding 1.2 iPad Remote app, as well as Capture 1.xx. Have since upgraded to Universal Control 1.7/ SL Remote 1.4./ Capture 2.1.

Purchased the Behringer on 01/13 upon anticipated releaseand installation of firmware update version 1.12/1.13 and the corresponding iPad Mix app. As of this post have not upgraded to 2.xx.

Purchased the Mackie on 02/14 upon the anticipated release and installation of the Master Fader 2.1 iPad app/firmware combo, which is current today.

All three were upgraded after purchase to the aforementioned revisions with no major issues in the process. I use PC`s, a variety of Thinkpads, for the Presonus and Behringer units, and Apple for offline editing work. Own iPads 1(ios 5.xx) which are relegated to docked DL use & iPad2(ios 6.xx) which are the mainstay for remote work.
Use the latest Airport Express routers for the DL, and Belkin Dual Band routers for the X32/SL1642.
   All three purchases were used items from local Guitar Centers that are covered by their 30 day satisfaction guarantee which allowed for a reasonable time opportunity for a thorough assessment as well as a guilt and hassle-free return if necessary.

The primary motivation and expectation of these three mixers was the remote mixing capabilities, therefore the remote app/software interface is key to the experience. Sixteen mic channels was the required amount with six aux outs. Recording of any channel count was NOT a deciding factor, however a welcome provision though.

So drum roll......
  I absolutely adore the Dl1608 form factor and near tactile-less interface, which I echo the current `class of one`reference. Sounds wonderful (except...FX), works as expected, and is just as near perfect for reducing load in and real estate footprint.
  Whats not to like? That near useless verb FX. If I could be granted my magic lamp one wish for the DL it is for a MUCH improved and useable verb selection. I work around this deficiency by incorporating an Alesis Nanoverb and giving up one in & out. The new 2.1 was crucial in my decision to buy in, what with the significant improvements all around (except.....FX). EASY to access the graphic eq`s in combat audio. With o-rings for the trim pots, an APE and Nanoverb packed nicely into  a 17" laptop bag, this makes for a fun and capable little piece. I don`t have a need or desire for multi-track recording on this so I am VERY biased in my desire and advocacy for improved effects, particularly the reverb.

As for the X32, I can honestly echo the slogan `A Game Changer`. The offering of models, ins/outs, computer/remote devices & platforms choice/preference, card slot expansion choices, personal monitoring via hardware offerings, conceivable intra/inter connected system configurations all via cat5/6, recording capabilities via USB stick or computer, all at the advertised M.A.P.`s is nothing short of such described, a game changer.
And the FX offerings! Wow! If someone can not find something to work with  to any degree of satisfaction, well then I must have a very low standard of expectations. For work that allows the footprint or requires the facilities of this unit I challenge any others as contenders will not, can not, ultimately match the price/capability/performance/ combination.
Recording two-track to a USB stick is very convenient, and preferable at the implemented WAV file format for my use. Multi-track is painless to a USB/FiWi connected PC running Reaper or similar. Simple enough to access the graphic eq`s without computer or iPad. Here as with the Mackie, output sounds wonderful, IMVHO.

Now in regards to the Presonus, the best attribute is the included and rather fully implemented software consisting of Universal Control, Studio One Artist, Capture, SL remote and Qmix. My experience with installation and use of Capture for online recording in live sound support scenarios and subsequent offline playback/editing in Studio One has been exemplary. This aspect of even this pre-Active Integration model sets it apart from the two other described mixers.
In addition, I find the other outstanding feature to be that with a UC connected computer, the scene storage and recall is extremely easy to use, particularly the channel parameter duplication. 
Now the sound I find to be good, but not as satisfying as the Mackie or Behringer. Not terrible mind you, just not as preferable. As for the FX, it is a toss up for the worst between the Presonus and the Mackie as far as the quality. At least the Mackie scores points for the visual graphic interface, however as small a consolation it may be.
But the WORST is the solo function and gain structure/summing through channels/subs/mains. This is well described, though possibly buried within the Presonus forum. And beware (be aware) of the fader locate function. To this I should describe my method of use: board tape to block the faders movement in a full bottom position, therefore requiring all mixing and adjustments via iPad and PC.

I do not use/need/allow personal remote mixing via the iPhone apps for musos/performers and therefore cannot offer any viable feedback from experience other than just the simple curious shop test which proved functional for all three platforms.

What I find to be of the greatest focus is the remote app layout and work environ, since nearly 100% of my mixing takes place via this approach. And to this I find Master Fader to be unquestionably the easiest of the bunch to approach. Not only of the three described but ANY of all others unmentioned that I have downloaded and toyed with on to an iPad. It is this ease of use combined with the form factor that I find so satisfying and FUN, regardless of its limitations of in/outs, manual pres, useless verb, lack of expandability and multi-track recording. For a quick and easy get in, set up, power and go, I find the DL1608 hard to beat. Had this been available with Master Fader 2.xx in 2012 I would not have purchased the Presonus instead choosing the Mackie. I did not, do not need/want faders, static or moving and the Mackie fills this slot so well. I believe the Mackie is the easiest to transition to for a new to digital person of these three mixers, contrary to Presonus`s claim of superb ease of transition to their mixers.
I actually believe the Presonus the more difficult of the three to adjust to and realign ones approach. I have come to determine via my use and internet postings, that the ideal candidates for the StudioLive mixers are HOW`s, Middle/High School auditoriums, performance theaters, or any where that allows for a stationary FOH position and recurring personnel. It is not an ideal mobile mixer. Just try getting to the graphic eq`s with out a computer or iPad in mobile combat audio and you may then come to understand where I am coming from.

The Behringer is not difficult, but allows for different approaches for signal flow and manipulation and therefore requires a deeper investigation and time spent. But the time spent is rewarded in dividends of options for audio routing, manipulating, and board personalization.
I use the X32 on a weekly basis parked in a club environment for nearly the entirety that I have owned this with so far a near perfect and STELLAR performance record. The USB two track recordings have been very impressive to the few who have heard. Simple enough to access the graphic eq`s in combat audio without computer or iPad.

Regards to support, email to Presonus with quick response(-24 hours) and lengthy voice wait time(-30 mins) with satisfactory answers. Voice to Behringer was short wait
(-5 mins) with attentive support and answers. Voice to Mackie was short wait time(-10 mins) with similar attentive support and answers. I have been fortunate to not require service in the form of return to manufacture so thankfully I have nothing to share in regards to such.

Plan is for purchase of a X32 Rack now with the recent 2.xx firmware allowing for full control via remote device, however I will allow for the kinks to work out over a bit of time and as I have no pressing immediate need. Though this may change due to something prettier walking by! A nice scenario that works really quite nice is incorporating a Wacom style tablet/convertible PC running X32-Edit wired or wireless for remote location mix/edit work with or without any of accompanying remote devices such as Android tablets, iPads and midi HUI`s. The Wacom equipped PC`s allow for very precise control over the parameters on X32-Edit.

To the aspect of mic pre`s sound, this is of lesser focus for my needs. I found equipment manufactures have upped the bar in the pre`s dept in no small part due to the likes of Mackie`s jump into the field with VLZ equivalent way back when, affording us with the high headroom before mash & clip at an every person`s price that helps provide one of the basic ingredients to make lemonade out of lemons. I have never had any performer or audience member comment negatively `hey, the sound sucks, gotta be your inferior mic pre`s`. 

With so much dependent on one piece of gear, redundancy is critical. Two of everything or alternatives is key to being prepared to avert or rebound from a bad gig due to equipment failure. Computers, iPads & remote external power charging, routers, power supplies for computers, router, DL1608. If budget allows, two equivalent mixers of choice or alternative. Even an analog desk has been my back up in the truck as well as the venue where the X32 is parked. This same approach applies to any DSP wonder box
where any number of processes/duties and channel counts have resulted in reduced rack real estate, but increased the dependency and liability in the event of device failure, e.g. your DriveRacks, UltraDrives, OmniDrives, Proteas, SoundWeb, Symnet, etc.

This relatively new and evolving market of even more affordable, remote wonder mixers is bound to grow in ever more choices and capabilities with an increase in ultimate power to dollar value, but with the TO BE EXPECTED devaluation of the existing base in the field. The highly anticipated TouchMix and X18 are the obvious examples of such as even I shall look forward to demo these two upon release to retailers.

In direct response to the OP, Keyboard Magic, assuming most of us are generating income from our endeavors, dollars into most gear is not an investment, as it devalues. Gear put to work is an investment in ourselves and related biz. If this applies to you then I suggest at some point you will need to`Just Do It`. Make a decision and jump in. When, and I believe you will, I will wager the result will be a satisfying experience.  Best to you in your decision, and respect to all. Jim

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #82 on: May 13, 2014, 01:43:18 AM »
James91104

Welcome to the forum!!

Nice in depth post indeed :thu:  You have an extensive background and a lot of experience and I appreciate you sharing this. I have an extensive background as a playing musician with moderate exp. in audio. My audio needs are a lot less than they used to be, although I require excellent sound quality.  Without getting too boring in the details, my DL was good, etc. etc. After all is said and done I have decided to go with the upcoming QSC TouchMix 16. I need a fairly powerful very compact wireless mixer.

Good reliable gear is important to me even if I only gig 2 or 3 times a week. I am looking forward to the QSC experience. And...

Welcome once more and thank you for your excellent post.  :thu:

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #83 on: May 13, 2014, 03:12:59 PM »
James, take no notice of the forum's resident grouch, I did read your post :)