Author Topic: Favorite pickups  (Read 7831 times)

ZombieCat

• Charter Member
  • Padawan
  • I have zero friends
Favorite pickups
« on: April 14, 2010, 11:19:15 PM »
The guitar forum was looking very lonely so I decided to post something in here.

So lets hear it, what are your favorite pickups? Yes, it is a purely subjective topic and has been done to death all over the internet but I have never been known for starting original topics.

I will get the ball rolling, I love Vintage Vibe pickups. I have a set of HS90 (humbucker sized "P90s") in my Agile AL-3000 and a set of of SP90s (star sized P90s) in my American Standard Stratocaster. Besides totally digging their sounds, I like how easy it is to swap in different magnetic types so you can play around with different tones to find exactly what you like. In my HS90 I have Alnico II in both. For my SP90s I have Alnico II in the neck and middle then Alnico III in the bridge.

rorylawford

• Charter Member
  • Youngling
    • Rory M. Lawford on Myspace
Re: Favorite pickups
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 03:37:05 AM »
I'm a huge fan of Dimarzio Super Distortions. I have em in two of my guitars and love them. My strat also has a Fury humbucker in it. Fury is small local luthier shop that hand makes guitars here in my hometown (at least I think they are still around - i bought it from them 20 something years ago) . The pickup of theirs I have is called a ZP-20, and is essentially their take on the Dimarzio Super Distortion - sounds amazing.
I do not, for one, think that the problem was that the band was down. I think that the problem *may* have been, that there was a Stonehenge monument on the stage that was in danger of being *crushed* by a *dwarf*.

monthlymixcd

• Charter Member
  • Padawan
  • Rink Rash is Sexy. Support Your Local Roller Girls
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 02:10:21 PM »
Rio Grande. I have a set in my Tweedecaster Tele... half-breed at the neck, vintage tallboy at the bridge. Have used the vintage tallboys in strats before and the J-Bass and P-Bass pickups (have another new one in the box... maybe going into that Excel bass I just picked up)... and they are all stellar.

Looking to get a set of Fralin J-Bass pickups in the near future... supposedly NO HUM. I had Agnes (formerly of Fender... now at Fralin) rewind half of an Electric XII pickup for me and man, they do good things at Fralin.

GFS are a good value... still have a set of used Lil' Punchers (dual rail PUs for Tele) if anyone wants them. They were too hot for what I wanted... but passable as the Po' Man's Danny Gatton sound.

EDIT: Oh!... and I put a P90-ish Rio Grande "Bastard" pickup in the bridge position of an SG for a friend... it had an amazing neck PU, but the stock bridge pickup was anemic... with the Bastard at the bridge that guitar was ViciouS!

« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 02:22:40 PM by monthlymixcd »

BigJD

• Charter Member
  • Youngling
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 03:16:35 AM »
I like Duncan SH-6 (duncan distortion) in the bridge stock gibson in the neck. I like Gibsons and dual humbucker style guitars in the same type of configurations.

rbnum1fan

• Charter Member
  • Initiate
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 03:37:08 AM »
I put Gold Lace sensors in my strat and am very happy with teh tone and response i get from them.
I have an Ibanez RG and while the stock Infinity pick ups have recieved some negative reviews i like them for heavier rock

ZombieCat

• Charter Member
  • Padawan
  • I have zero friends
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 04:02:52 PM »
I have used some Duncans in the past I really liked. 59s are so sweet to my ears, AlnicoII Pro was a nice neck pickup (never tried one in the bridge). I did try a Pearly Gates in the bridge and could not get rid of it fast enough. Always wanted to try the Seth Lovers.