Author Topic: Adjusting delay for latency  (Read 3620 times)

Yorgaki1

• Padawan
Adjusting delay for latency
« on: April 12, 2014, 06:30:26 PM »
I just got a pair of QSC KW153 powered speakers and will be mating them up with an older pair of QSC HPR 181 I subs? I plan on feeding the subs with aux 6. The stated latency for the 153's with thier dsp is 2ms. Ive never used a time delay before, but is this as simple as setting the aux 6 alignment delay to 2ms to compesate?
Thanks

Wynnd

• Master
Re: Adjusting delay for latency
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 08:43:39 PM »
If the speakers are inline, no delay is necessary.  If you hear a single clap as two, then you need to delay the speakers that are closest to the audience.

Yorgaki1

• Padawan
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 10:18:01 PM »
The auxiliary six subs is the concern.  those speakers don't have any DSP and will be 2 ms ahead of the high packs. I plan on coupling the subs together centerstage with the kw153s on stands left and right just didn't know if I'd have any weird comb filtering or anything within the lower octaves.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 12:37:47 AM »
If you don't hear a single clap at a mic as two claps from the PA, you don't need to change anything.  Clustered subs in the same line as the other FOH speakers don't normally need anything.  But it's easy enough to test on site after setting them up.  You might want to check AgedHorse's answers to this at the Harmony Central forums.  He's a high end live sound engineer who no longer does tours.  (And a very knowledgeable nice guy)  I think I've recently seen an answer to a similar question. 

Yorgaki1

• Padawan
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 12:43:55 PM »
Thanks for your help.

Mikeboltz111

• Youngling
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 11:37:10 PM »

Greg C.

• Forty-Two
  • Knight
    • Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 05:55:57 PM »
If you aren't directly stacking the subs under the tops, you will never be able to align the subs to the tops except at one spot in the room. So it's mostly a useless exercise. Every other spot in the room will have some combing in the crossover range. Simple physics. Since you're putting the subs in the center and they've got 2ms of propagation delay, they'll be about "2 feet further" from you already relative to the tops with no propagation delay if you're directly in front of the stage. Whether or not it's worth messing with the delay beyond that is subjective.
Procrastinators of the World, Contemplate Uniting!

Yorgaki1

• Padawan
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 06:20:25 PM »
Thanks for the insight fellas