Author Topic: Behringer X18  (Read 16407 times)

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
Behringer X18
« on: April 14, 2014, 06:47:52 PM »
The X18, "DL killer" :lol: is looking close to release. It appears to have all the features we'd like the DL to have, built in wifi, USB multitrack recording 4 x fx engines, combo sockets on all channels, phono I/O, PC, Mac and (third party) Android apps and US price is reputed to be $799. If it'll work as a stage box for an X32 (when I get mine) I may have to buy one  :eek:
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 07:02:17 PM by sam.spoons »

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
Re: Behringer X18
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 10:18:50 PM »
Nope, won't work as a stage box. I inquired on that a while back. It does not have the aes50. There are features you missed. One being programmable gains. Having these are HUGE!

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 10:45:44 PM »
Yes JL, you're right, I'll try to read the manual at some point.

The 'stage box' comment was slightly light hearted, I didn't really expect it to be the case  :(

I hope to buy some flavour of digital desk later this year (especially as I've just finished a production of Sweeney Todd on a GL3300 and outboard, a digital desk would have made life considerably easier) favourite ATM being an X32 Compact but I'm still considering A&H Qu and others. If it ends up being an X32 I may eventually replace my DL with an X32 Rack as it will double as a stage box. TBF the DL is still a great mixer and the other option (and the one I'll follow for the time being) is to keep the DL for my 85% smaller gigs and buy the bigger digital desk for the few bigger gigs, hiring in a digital snake when I need one.

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 12:52:15 AM »
It's still worth selling the dl while you can. The used market, and new, will plummet when the x18 comes out. Why rent a stage box when you can add that cost to what you sell the dl for? Then work a deal for the rack. I sold my dl and paid less than $250 difference

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 09:04:56 AM »
Yup JL that's definitely up there amongst the option list. OTOH the cheapest option is always to use what you already have. Hire of an S16 and CAT5 will probably be less than £20 a day so would be an economical solution to the occasional bigger gig. A weeks hire would be more expensive (I'd guess £50-60) but the theatre gig I've just finished has an analogue multicore installed.

thedrums

• Youngling
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 06:38:54 PM »
Looks like Behringer has been looking in on the DL1608 wish list. When does this puppy hit the streets and how much is it going for?

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 08:01:46 PM »
Street price is $799 vs the dl's current $999. I really doubt the dl can stay at $999 when a far superior product is $799. And with the X series popularity the x18 should be a huge hit.

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 10:03:24 PM »
Depends on your definition of soon Sam! I wonder how many more DL's will be sold before this materializes in "September or October" according to the Behringer rep?
The X18 has a good feature set but by that stage the QSC Touchmix should be there to throw the cat amongst the pigeons. If it's priced properly, it could be the one to get.
I heard a rumour A&H were bringing out a product similar to the DL as a ZED series replacement/upgrade/alternative, very interesting times if you're looking for a new compact mixer :)
The older I get, the better I was!

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 12:40:37 AM »
I'll almost certainly be buying a digital desk with faders before the end of the year, it won't do all my gigs, probably only 20% or so but if I'm to use an X32 on my higher profile gigs I need to learn how to use it so hiring one in for each event is not an attractive proposition.

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 12:50:11 PM »
I have to be honest, if the X18 had been available when I decided to buy the DL, I would have bought the X18 instead, especially with its wealth of features compared to the DL. But now that I have the DL and have used it, I wouldn’t switch at all even for the difference in price between the 2 products. The DL more than fills my particular needs.  8) What's the old phrase? "I'd rather fight than switch." <=== Just kidding  ;)

Sorry 'bout the error on the name. (X16  :eek::facepalm: I changed it to correct one, X18  ;)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 01:50:13 PM by Keyboard Magic »
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2014, 01:16:34 PM »
With the X18 looking like being 2015 before it gets to Blighty I guess I can defer the decision regarding the DL for a bit. Sweetwater are advertising he QSC Touchmix 16 for $1299 (list $1799) that makes it a lot more expensive than the DL or the X18 (more even than an X32 Rack). It'll need to be bloody impressive to tempt me to spend that much money on one.  :o

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2014, 02:47:07 PM »
You know we're going to get stiffed on the price of the Touchmix over here Sam, and the X18 will probably be £800 :(
The older I get, the better I was!

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2014, 03:21:48 PM »
Oh yes, was it ever thus. For UK prices take the US price and swap the $ symbol for this one £   >:(

Harpman

• Knight
  • “If music be the food of love, play on"
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2014, 03:45:39 PM »
The issue I have most with Behringer is that they are quick to advertise their vaporware and it takes years to hit the market.  Back when I saw the X32 first at NAMM it tool over 2 years to materialize.  I got tired of waiting and purchased the DL1608.  Was interested in the iX16 to replace the DL1608 and that product will never come to market.  I suppose that will be replaced with the X18 if that ever materializes. I'm not holding my breath ::).
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment
"We Bring Good Music to Life"

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2014, 04:14:06 PM »
The x18 will materialize. What behringer did was to add in things that would future proof the ix16. They had some limitations they wanted to remove. Of course there are always limitations. They more than certain were following the dl1608 threads. And they decided to add the things most of us were asking for. The x18 will be an amazing piece. If it was out when I bought my rack it would have had a big debate on my hands. I probably would have still gone with the rack because since then I have spent over $15,000 upsizing my pa. I have gotten a lot of sound gigs and need more ins. The rack is cutting it for now. It has 22 ins. 23 if you count the talkback mic which apparently is usable. I haven't tried it yet.