Author Topic: Behringer X18  (Read 16525 times)

Keyboard Magic

• Master
Re: Behringer X18
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2014, 04:21:00 PM »
So, with the eventual release of the X18 and QSC TouchMix, will this pressure Mackie to bring feature loaded software updates to Master Fader and a better hardware version in the future?
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2014, 04:25:15 PM »
$64,000 question that is :facepalm: I'd like to think so but I'm slightly worried they'll bring out new hardware and stop supporting the DL1608 mk1. Don't get me wrong, it won't stop being a great mixer but it'd be nice to think we've got a few more improvements on the way before that eventually happens.

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2014, 04:40:15 PM »
Sent an email to  "DL1608.Feedback@mackie.com" and received quite a nice reply from Ben Olswang and the last line in his email says: " We’ve got more cool stuff in store for the DL so your mixer will only get better with age. Happy mixing."

If you take it literally, obsolescence for DL owners won't happen too soon. Maybe, hopefully a few more years before we need to consider upgrading or changing platforms? I'm hoping for at least 5 years of good use from mine barring any new iOS/iPad updates, etc etc. I have the 30 pin dock connector and am willing to buy a lightning tray if I have to change out at least one iPad to keep my current DL. After that, who knows?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 04:44:39 PM by Keyboard Magic »
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2014, 04:48:27 PM »
That's encouraging and Ben is a straight guy, he gained my respect on the old forum fielding some difficult questions from the bolshie lot on there (most of whom are on here now)  ;D

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2014, 04:57:01 PM »
I kinda got that impression of him from the emai and the very fast response to my email. I hope that customer service will turn out to be just as supportive too.

Harpman

• Knight
  • “If music be the food of love, play on"
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2014, 07:42:40 PM »
Hey JL,

I'll wait and see.  Probably won't ever need over 16 channels.  To me it's all about the footprint of equipment. Smaller is better for me.  I just sold my Behringer XL3200 analog board because it was just sitting in storage :(.
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment
"We Bring Good Music to Life"

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2014, 05:07:39 AM »
Future Proof?????   Can't be done.  Even Behringer's products will have to compete with better products and they will fail as quickly as the DL did.  (Oh?  That's right, it really hasn't failed yet.)

musicman7722

• Knight
    • Triple Play
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2014, 11:44:11 PM »
I do like my DL but i am getting frustrated with it's form factor.  I would like a rack mounted mixer like the 32.

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2014, 08:40:10 AM »
That was my thought when I first had the DL but, with hindsight, a rack box would be bigger, it would probably have connectors and/or controls you need access to on both front and back panels and it would not have the iPad dock. I like the DL as it it, it fits in a small ally case (bolted into the lid on a home made 'rack mount' tray)

and everything I need to see is on the top panel. Suits me fine (ok, I'd like the numbering/layout of the gains and input XLRs to be consistent, farthest row of gains equals nearest row of XLRs, not intuitive but I've got used to it) 8)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 08:45:46 AM by sam.spoons »

musicman7722

• Knight
    • Triple Play
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2014, 12:17:23 PM »
I currently have mine in a soft case originally used for my Presonus 1602?.  It holds my WAP as well.  But the top is attached and drapes over the side when open.  What I really want to do is to be able to rack up my IEM and power unit all in one box to save wiring time and space.   :thu:

musicman7722

• Knight
    • Triple Play
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2014, 12:19:10 PM »
Currently my bag does allow me to leave my 30' 12 channel snake plugged in and I put the stage box in the front flap.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2014, 01:09:03 PM »
I just bought the rack mount kit and placed it in my mixing stack where my MixWiz used to be.  That way, I can leave the outputs, Aux 1 and 2, my DriveRack PXs and wireless mics hooked up.  Honestly, I don't like hooking everything up every time I set a mixer up.  (Something I need to do for recording through my Alesis MultiMix 16 firewire mixer.  It doesn't get used very often.)   I do want to move to a lighter weight mixing rack.  (I've got two amps in my stack. But one only weighs 8 pounds.)

Trshot

• Punster
  • Padawan
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2014, 01:27:39 PM »
Wynnd, that's the way to go and I know you realize how much time is saved as well!!  Here's my setup, I made up three cable runs that are permanently hardwired in my rig, one for stage inputs, one for amp rack and one for drum kit. I show up for a gig, whip out three runs and done in ten minutes, breakdown is even faster!

[/quote]

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2014, 03:14:05 PM »
I do several different line-ups and configurations of monitors and I use all active speakers and no outboard so I don't think I could save setup time by having anything else hardwired (the router and PSU are permanently wired up in the bottom of the case, just take the lid off and plug in an IEC mains lead). The compact size of the case is also an attraction, as I've mentioned elsewhere the whole rig (sub, 5 x tops, desk, mics, leads etc) will fit in a VW Golf, a big rack would not.