Author Topic: How great thou art, DL1608!  (Read 5691 times)

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
How great thou art, DL1608!
« on: April 27, 2014, 08:52:32 AM »
It's been a few weeks since I'd used my little DL as I've been in prep for a large production about to hit the road. Last two nights I was using the DL again and got the chance to basque in it's brilliance. It really is a mini marvel! It ran both nights rock solid via wireless controlled by iPhone & iPad. What a feature this is alone. We take it for granted as DL owners, but this is awesome and so handy. For me, it worked flawlessly. Then we have variable slope LPF and HPFs, channel delay, six aux sends and all the rest. I just thought at one point during setup, "this is awesome, DL I've taken you for granted!".
I've been lured away in search of more channels and other features but isn't the DL a bargain? Even with our stupid UK markup it's a great tool for the money, and so compact too.
Mackie has done a great job in reshaping this since version 1.0.
I know it hasn't been all things to all people but to me it's done all I've needed it to do.
Plenty more to come app wise I hope.
I've become very comfortable using it now and I think it will become a future classic.
Anyway, just thought I'd share my "rose tinted" reunion with you guys.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 08:54:37 AM by robbocurry »
The older I get, the better I was!

Wynnd

• Master
Re: How great thou art, DL1608!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 10:15:44 AM »
My experience has been good too.  I am wondering how many more months of Master Fader development are coming.  On the other hand, that programming should be quite transferable to a new mixer, so farther development doesn't need to be a waste when the DL1608 is taken out of production. It's really become more than I expected because of it.  Sure, there are things I'm not using, but they're available if I want them.  I'm running a couple of DriveRack PX units.  Could probably get rid of them and just run through the entire system using my DOD RTA and setting the main EQ to compensate for any system flaws.  But they don't weigh much and there is that built in Anti-Feedback.  I probably haven't experimented enough yet.  Like so many systems, there are probably 10 different ways to accomplish the same results.

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 04:40:43 AM »
from Curry to Kury  :)

I like your post title... How Great Thou Art... when I in awesome wonder!

I too am always thrilled with the DL1608, but I, like you have purchased an Allen & Heath Qu24.
What an unbelievable piece of kit as the Brits say :)

Phenomenal!

But the Mackie is such a powerful piece of gear too... now if only A&H will get the multiple i-Pads figured out.
Dan
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 04:48:28 AM by dpdan »

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 06:23:38 AM »
from Curry to Kury  :)

I like your post title... How Great Thou Art... when I in awesome wonder!

I too am always thrilled with the DL1608, but I, like you have purchased an Allen & Heath Qu24.
What an unbelievable piece of kit as the Brits say :)

Phenomenal!

But the Mackie is such a powerful piece of gear too... now if only A&H will get the multiple i-Pads figured out.
Dan

Ahhh Dan,
That is a topic we'll have to expand on elsewhere - maybe the Behringer forum? I've signed up already lol! ;)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 06:31:25 AM by robbocurry »

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 08:34:48 AM »
I installed a Behringer speaker processor about eight years ago in a church and it overheated or so we thought,
it turned out that there were numerous bad solder connections on the rear panel. I was doing the installation for another gentleman and Barringer kindly replaced the unit under warranty, but the next had the same issues.  I ended up replacing it with a DBX and of course no issues.

Years following I saw and heard Behringer products dropping like flies. You could not give me a Barringer product. I saw A YouTube video of an English gentleman repairing his scribble strips that were not showing the color properly on an X32 and sure enough, more bad solder connections.

Oh we'll, sometimes you don't get what you pay for. I have had numerous Allen and Heath consoles myself and installed quite a few and they are incredibly reliable.

Thanks Mr. Curry :)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 08:39:16 AM by dpdan »

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 09:50:24 AM »
I saw that vid too Dan :eek:
Rather him than me!

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 01:01:19 PM »
My MixWiz, built in China, was always solid and still is in its new home.  Chinese manufacturing is a mixed bag.  Allen Heath and Apple are generally getting quality out of there.  My Trailer, made in China, is a much sadder story. 

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 07:18:20 AM »
China probably has the most advanced manufacturing in all the world, but for sure, they copy and make a lot of junk too,
as long as someone from the manufacturer is there and keeps an eye on how things are done it ensures a good quality product.
Naturally, any product can fail and have issues, but companies like Apple, Allen & Heath, QSC etc, all produce great quality from their China factories....that's how I see it.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2014, 01:07:17 PM »
China today is so much better than the early junk that came from Japan.  (You might not be old enough to remember the 2 cent cupie dolls.  Real trash.)   Of course, it has been decades since any junk has come out of Japan and today everything I've gotten from there is top quality.  China is well on their way in that direction.  (And Korea, and pretty much most of South East Asia.) 

seventhson

• Padawan
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2014, 08:30:17 PM »
I concur.   I've only used mine at a few gigs so far buts done everything I bought it for and sounds great doing it.