Author Topic: X32 Rack Anyone?  (Read 4200 times)

Keyboard Magic

• Master
X32 Rack Anyone?
« on: May 08, 2014, 05:45:57 PM »
I know this is the DL area, but...

I am trying to keep all my options open here by considering all possibilities regarding a new digital mixer. I've Googled the x32 reviews until I am cross eyed from reading, but since there are so many experienced professionals here, I would like to find out your opinions on this particular unit if possible.

How many have the x32 rack? And if you do, how do you like it and how easy is the x32 app to use? All opinions are humbly accepted and welcomed.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 05:54:34 PM by Keyboard Magic »
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Keyboard Magic

• Master
Re: X32 Rack Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 07:38:25 PM »
JerryLee;

I haven't ignored your excellent comments at all.  :o  I was just hoping for some more info from other x32 owners so that I can be more informed to make an educated purchase when I am ready to buy. I value everyone's opinions here. But starting today I will make an extra effort to look up your comments in particular.   :thu:

For me it's always a good idea to consider all opinions before making an expensive purchase. Yes I did so, even when I finally bought my DL. If I have offended, please accept my apologies.  :facepalm:
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 08:14:37 PM »
Download the X32 app and give it a try, it's ok IMO, probably on a par with the A&H apps but not as good as Master Fader (JL will disagree I know :D). MF does have much less to do so it's easier for Mackie's nerds make it user friendly.

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 10:03:47 PM »
sam.spoons;

Yes, I agree that Master Fader was the easiest to get around on. I have already downloaded the x32 app and have been playing around with it. It's not too hard after some time with it. It looks like you cannot save scenes in demo mode, which I've read about and can only save when connected to the hardware. If I am wrong about that, I stand corrected.  ;) (I'd rather sit corrected though!)   :P

At least with Master Fader, you can save without the mixer being live. I do like the look of the x32 app though and it appears to be very comprehensive. Every chance I get I load the app and play around with it. ;)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 01:29:22 AM »
Your best off going to Behringer's X32 forum or for more technical and independent views to Soundforum.net for the X32. A year ago I ran it past RR to start an independent X16 (at the time) topic so as not to mix the two but no go. Good thing since the X18 may not be a reality til later in the year, my guess is just in time for Christmas. Once it ships maybe he will go for it or the QSC Touchmix. You might let us know what your $ pain-level is and what functions are critical.
When in doubt KISS

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 02:08:19 AM »
Thank you for the info on the x32 research WK154.   :thu: The QSC and x32 are very close in price here it Toronto, so I am sort of considering both, in the $1400 plus range. Since I've only been able to download the x32 app and experiment with it about a dozen times or so, I am getting comfortable using it.

As far as my requirements per say, they are minimal, no more than 10-12 xlrs, 2 stereo pairs, maybe FX, USB and most certainly wireless operation. In that vein, the QSC is closer to my needs. The x32 may be overkill in some respects, but I like the idea of hiding the mixer away from site, but able to connect to Mics and powered speakers easily and running the venue at the back of the room away from the audience. When I had the DL, one bug was not being able to adjust the preamps from within the app. The x32 has that, but I am not sure about the QSC.

If I haven't clarified, I am referring to the X32 rack. Anyway both have more features than I will really ever use. ::) When the QSC app comes out, I will definitely get that app and put it thru its paces.

Note... I know that both of these can be hidden out of site, but I think the X32 rack might be easier to hide?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 02:14:48 AM by Keyboard Magic »

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 08:29:52 PM »
KM, is there any reason you have not to buy a proper mixer with faders?
It makes life a lot less complicated when all the control you need is right there in front of you, display, knobs and faders - what a brilliant concept!
Small stage and want just iPad control? You got it!
Need multichannel recording without a computer? Yes, it's here too.
The answer to your prayers, from a brand you've used and can trust:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Qu16/
It's available right now, unlike the QSC, and although it might be a little more expensive than the Brownringer, you'll not be worrying every night about when it's going to crap itself :eek:

The older I get, the better I was!

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 08:52:40 PM »
Robbocurry,

Thank you for your excellent suggestion about the QU-16. I have considered it already, but a bit more money. As I just posted in the IOS 7.1.1 a DL killer area, I have just put a deposit on the Touchmix, even though it's not out yet. The form factor is about the right size for me and QSC is also very reliable. So as JL mentioned in his last reply to me, I have taken the hint and put and end to the endless debate I started. I have moved on.

I respect everyone's opinions here and look forward to more exciting information and debating. Once again, thank you for your suggestion and guidance.   :thu:

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 09:05:50 PM »
I think the Touchmix will be a fab product too KM, I have a number of QSC amps and they've all been great.
The DL has worked fine for me but I haven't discounted the idea of getting a Touchmix either.
I hope you have more success with it than you had with the DL :thu: ;)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 09:08:30 PM by robbocurry »
The older I get, the better I was!

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 09:17:32 PM »
Me too. I can't wait to get my paws on the app first. Thank you again for the encouraging words.  :thu:

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2014, 10:56:48 PM »
My hope is that they'll at least do the assembly and test here in Costa Mesa CA. They can keep a better eye on QC and fix any problems fast. The boards will probably be made in their China facility. It's cheaper to import sub-assemblies than the whole thing. Time will tell.
When in doubt KISS

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2014, 02:30:23 PM »
Wk that may happen. Isn't that what they do with a lot of their speakers?

diggo

• Padawan
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2014, 05:04:28 PM »
I've been using an X32 Rack with three P16M units for the last 4 or 5 days.
Gobsmackingly good.

I'll probably keep the DL1608 around, but it is truly eclipsed by the X32 Rack, by such a long way. One thing I noticed immediately was the sound - the X32 sounds quite a bit better than the DL, especially the processors. And I can run it via iOS, Windows, Android. The P16M units are stunning, particularly with IEMs.

22 balanced inputs, 14 balanced outputs, 16 digital outs to the P16M units, multi channel USB recording, boatloads of excellent FX....and plenty of expansion options. What's not to like?

I'll keep the DL as a second mixer/backup but I'm now an ex-DL1608 user.