Author Topic: First Gig w/1608  (Read 5263 times)

Sanchinguy

• Youngling
First Gig w/1608
« on: May 18, 2014, 12:04:42 PM »
Well, after much wailing and gnashing of teeth we had our first gig with the DL.  I'm happy to report that everything went well. Mostly...

Setup was easy and sound check went as well as it could (Still can't get the singers to give me an accurate level). We managed volume successfully and the bar owner was happy.  We attracted a decent crowd and kept them there all night.  Our sub drummer was great as expected.  The owner said he wants us back.  Other than malfunctioning mic (Anyone know how to fix a sm57 that is muffled and unintelligible?), the performance was as good as we get.

Everything went well until the very end.  We'd finished our last set and I was mixing in a break track and WHAM!  Massive white noise at full volume!  The crowd went from happy to screaming and covering their ears.  I killed it in a second or two, but the impression we left was definitely impacted.  It happened in the switch between iTunes and master fader.  I've tried to repeat the event but can't make it happen consistently.

Again, my queries with Mackie have yielded only non-committal noises but no useful response...  The budget is tight and I'm going to have to live with this thing for a while so if anyone has figured out how to prevent this I'd appreciate the insight.

Thanks!

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
Re: First Gig w/1608
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 12:47:06 PM »
Don't dock the iPad. Done.

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 07:42:55 PM »
Don't dock the iPad. Done.
What he said :)
The older I get, the better I was!

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 09:36:19 PM »
I have an iPad touch (5th gen) which I can use for docked playback if necessary.

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 12:33:29 AM »
I have an iPad touch (5th gen) which I can use for docked playback if necessary.

And recording too.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 04:39:12 AM »
I haven't had the dreaded white noise yet.  OK I did have white noise, but it was from the singer's wireless Sennheiser mic's squelch.  (The man is occasionally a menace and has no clue how to properly setup his own equipment.)   But I've spent a bit of time learning how to setup for airplay and have taken to using that for audio.  I seem to always have an extra two channels for use with airplay.  I'm really liking how that is working.  (Usually pulling the audio from my iphone 4S.)   That also allows me to pull break music from the ipad when not docked.  Only issue has to do with about a 2 second delay starting a song.  Not exactly an issue with break music.

seventhson

• Padawan
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 03:50:55 AM »
I've had that happen at home when docked so I no longer even want to try it live.   I just plug my iPhone into channel 16 and run Pandora One for breaks.   Worlds like a charm.   

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 11:59:48 AM »
I've never experienced the white noise issue and I use iPad playback most nights. Must be luck of the draw :facepalm:

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2014, 12:26:05 PM »
There is a range of unacceptable behavior on this mixer.  Wonder if it's more a problem with manufacturing then software?  Ultimately it doesn't matter, when you have a problem, even if no one else has it, it's a big problem.

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2014, 12:43:51 PM »
For sure Wynnd.
I wouldn't like to subject any audience to a blast of white noise. Apart from scaring the crap out of everyone, it makes you look stupid!
Hardware or software, who really knows?

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2014, 01:56:06 PM »
In the short time I did have my DL, I never experienced white noise issues. Just the major fail with sync. This particular platform seems to have been made to be right on the edge of instability, IMHO.

DL annoyances aside for a moment...   Even feedback makes you look dumb, especially if the MC decides to suddenly stand right in front of your speaker with the mic.  :facepalm:

« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 12:36:21 PM by Keyboard Magic »
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler