Author Topic: Did sound for a band last Saturday night..... weird PA setup.  (Read 2694 times)

Tbranella

• Youngling
Ok...
So I agreed to help a band out last Saturday night and mix sound, they had a DL1608 (all their cabinets and their "soundman's" outboard gear)

they had the DL1608 going through a 31 band EQ AND a compressor... aside from also using gate AND compression on EVERY channel and the graphic EQ on the DL1608..
I know I should have removed the 31 band EQ and the external compressor from the chain but I didn't have time..  but holy crap that made for an interesting mix!  LOL!

anyone else have any horror stories when filling in for another soundman?

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
Re: Did sound for a band last Saturday night..... weird PA setup.
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 02:09:53 PM »
Couldn't you just press the bypass button on the comp and manually flatten the hardware GEQ?

Greg C.

• Forty-Two
  • Knight
    • Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 05:04:37 PM »
Most outboard EQs have a bypass button as well.
Procrastinators of the World, Contemplate Uniting!

Tbranella

• Youngling
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 01:17:08 PM »
Yea... I should have just bypassed the outboard gear... I just didn't think of it at the time... I was too consumed with trying to fix the problems AND mix the band at the same time.
I was afraid of changing too many things while they were playing..
plus I second guessed myself as to why he would hook everything up that way..  I figured it worked that way the night before without any problems so It should sound the same that night..  I was way WRONG! and I'll never second guess myself again.
If I ever have the opportunity to mix them again I'll do things the way I know they should be done.  :)

Tbranella

• Youngling
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 01:19:46 PM »
by contrast, I mixed a different band last night using my DL1608 and their PA equipment...  sounded GREAT! had absolutely NO issues and everyone was very happy!