Author Topic: Alternative control and recording.  (Read 23886 times)

metacom

• Youngling
Alternative control and recording.
« on: May 26, 2014, 02:28:10 AM »
Spent 6 days in a darkened room in December 2012 hacking the DL1608; not had time until recently to try and finish implementation of my alternative software. I've made significant progress; Currenty able to control the DL1608 from a laptop only no iPad required! Rewriting my code for android atm. More recently I have also implemented (all beit via a grubby hardware hack, in which I almost destroyed the mixer!) recording. Requires significant modification to work, would not recommend in future! Working on an alternative, which I  plan to release as an addon board. protype expected to be in place in 3 weeks. Also looking toward a general MIDI interface..

Watch this space!  Who'i interested? What  would you pay for each of these?

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
Re: Alternative control and recording.
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 04:11:38 PM »
Welcome to the forum. Certainly would be interested in a lot more detail on your project. Mackie's com protocol etc..
When in doubt KISS

metacom

• Youngling
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 05:07:55 PM »
As there may be a commercial aaplication, I'm being a little cagey with the details at the moment. Having read some of your posts, I think there are certain things you would be interested in.

it runs uCLinux.:

Image name:   bf518-2.6.36-ADI-2011R1-pre-main
Created:   Fri Jan 31 18:35:34 2014
Image type:   AVR32 Linux Kernel (gzip compressed)
Data size:   1075595 Bytes
Load Address:   0x001000
Entry Point:   0x1d4f84
Header CRC:   0xd631187b ... OK
Data CRC:   0xa18e827a

There are several ways of getting custom code onto it, although I've developed a "one-click" solution for custom code.
Havent touched much on the DSP side, as it's not my field. Will be comparing versions of the PSoC3 cyacd stuff to see if I can see any pattern in the changes.

In terms of the protocol, I have developed a fairly  complete abstraction layer. Currently reviewing the changes between the version I was working with vs 2.1.1.

Also, the root password is kinda funny...

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 07:06:52 PM »
metacom;

A big welcome! I think Mackie should hire you.  8) That is a positive complement! Looking forward to more interesting developments from you.  :)
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 07:32:21 PM »
Interesting!!
The older I get, the better I was!

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 07:37:58 PM »
Thanks for the info. If this is the case (need to be careful here) then Mackie is in violation of GNU GPL 2. Seems like the legal department is getting bored and needs some exercise. I dismissed it as a choice a while ago since they do have reference to GNU licensing for the multi-logon code. Ass-u-me strikes again. Could be why they've been so closed mouth about everything. The details of uCLinux for the hardware if used in the DL is here.   http://blackfin.uclinux.org/doku.php
for those interested.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 06:10:08 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

metacom

• Youngling
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 12:25:46 AM »
They aren't violating it. Their "modifications" dont deal with GPL stuff. They wrote their own application on a GPL platform. What's under the hood GPL wise is not relevant to the sound part of the device.
Quote from them a while ago

"We will provide the applicable GPL source code files via CD-ROM upon request for a nominal cost to cover media shipping and handling charges.
Please send me back your shipping address and I will reply with the total cost. If you are still interested, please allow 2-4 weeks for delivery."

The toolchain and build env are available for the board straight from AD. It is not required for Mackie to present them as an easy dl.
If they suddenly decided to open up the whole thing, they could.. but why would they do that....
I have a build rig that seems to work.. it is a fairly standard embedded build. The DSP code is. understandably, not open. That's what is tasking me right now!

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 12:40:08 AM »
Welcome.  I'm interested in anything you're doing that has some level of success.  And if you create a commercial product, I'd be likely to purchase a license.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 01:06:52 AM »
As I understand it if the Blackfin is running uCLinux, no mater what the source of the code is, it's based on Linux. They need to comply with the GNU GPL. Receiving it from AD does not release them from that responsibility. As a mater of fact it's now back in the main Linux code base after a brief forking. Disclosure of that fact (using uClinux) is the minimum required, yes their add-ons can be proprietary. Linksys found that out the hard way. The statement in the manual refers to the log-on code not uCLinux unless they "forgot" to mention that. I'll ask them and see what they say. If on the other hand your implying that they used uCLinux as a development platform only then what your saying is correct but also lame on Mackie's part. In any case libraries still need to be considered.
Some reading required.
Licenses

Click any of these links for further information on Software Copyright, Software Licenses, Patent Licenses, Cryptographic Software, Support, External Links and your lack of Warranty.

This is off the AD site.   http://blackfin.uclinux.org/doku.php
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 06:14:25 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 05:33:33 AM »
By "it" I believe you are referring to the DL hardware. Can you shed some light on the header info.

Image name:   bf518-2.6.36-ADI-2011R1-pre-main
Created:   Fri Jan 31 18:35:34 2014
Image type:   AVR32 Linux Kernel (gzip compressed)
Data size:   1075595 Bytes

I interpret this as an AD BF518 Blackfin part using Linux Kernel V2.6.36 in the ADI environment of uClinux 2011 R1 a pitifully outdated release barely supported by ADI.
The Image type AVR32 refers to Atmel's AVR32 which has nothing to do with a Blackfin AFAIK.
Some contradictions here.
When in doubt KISS

metacom

• Youngling
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2014, 06:45:44 AM »
You are quite correct on that one! It's a typo in a uBoot unpacking script I used.  ((c) 2012 by Ollopa / www.isysop.com) The array for CPU arhitecture is 0-indexed, but the author has an off by 1 error id-ing the arch type incorrectly as avr32 instead of blackfin. Mea Cupla.

I'm saying that they shipped hardware, and continue to do so, running ucLinux. Updated versions of firmware contain the same.  I thought GPL wise, their ass was covered, although licensing issues can be a confusing quagmire after a while!

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2014, 07:20:17 AM »
Mea Culpa those typos can really get you.  :) If you followed some of my early posts you'll see I'm not convinced that the software wasn't outsourced. Could explain some of the lack of legal concern, the long release dates for minimal enhancements and the lack of bug fixes.
When in doubt KISS

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2014, 12:35:05 PM »
Please forgive a noobs question, but when I go to offline page under Master Fader, open More, you get the Master Fader version etc etc, and under that list, you see Mandolin version 1.2. Is Master Fader written in Mandolin, or is Mandolin the GUI running on top of uCLinux?

If I am totally way off base, please accept my apologies.  :-[
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

metacom

• Youngling
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2014, 01:08:26 PM »
Actually a very relevant question! Mandolin is the name of the protocol itself.

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2014, 01:13:56 PM »
Ahhh, thank you for clarifying.  8)  I'm not a programmer or anything like that, but am always interested in the inner workings. I suppose it's a good thing that they didn't base the O/S on Windows embedded.  ::)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 01:19:05 PM by Keyboard Magic »