Author Topic: Alternative control and recording.  (Read 23899 times)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
Re: Alternative control and recording.
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2014, 03:49:02 PM »
So their head honcho in Europe former techie was right about the 25% usage of resources. That leaves a lot of space for new features. The DSP in my estimation is loafing and can do a lot more before running out of steam. Are you familiar with David Schumann's work with the Behringer x32? Need to check the spelling of his  name. Name corrected.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 05:55:18 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

metacom

• Youngling
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2014, 04:08:51 PM »
http://dev-core.org/?p=mixingstation

Just looked him up.. Looks cool!

I'm not familiar at all with the DSP side; trying to familiarise myself with SigmaStudio /Crosscore embedded. Way outta my comfort zone!

EDIT: Video is live.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2014, 04:50:19 PM »
Great Job on the control without Mackie's help. The UI will be the key to this for commercial apps. David has features not even possible on the B programs such as IDCA so there is plenty of room for enhancements over the manufacturers. Lots of UI ideas presented in past posts here.
When in doubt KISS

metacom

• Youngling
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2014, 06:00:30 AM »
Update:
After a caffeined fueled weekend, I now have rudimentary OSC support. Cant figure out a way to take video of my phone and iPad at the same time, as they are my only camera sources! Tested with TouchOSC on a stock Galaxy S3. Latency is phenominal. Working on porting to run natively on the DL now, and building some patches.  Before I get too far down that rabit hole, I figure it's best to engage the community now regarding proposed namespace etc.  Trying to keep it easy for people to make their own customised interfaces.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2014, 02:38:52 PM »
So the plan is to make a OSC to Mandolin translator for the DL?
When in doubt KISS

metacom

• Youngling
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2014, 02:00:24 PM »
WK154
Yep thats the plan! I don't think I can outdo lemur/touchOSC in terms of ui.

Update: Ported the code to the DL, written the android loader app, in testing phase now. Coming soon to an App store near you :)

So to summarise:
An adroid app will be release that enables OSC on the DL1608. A layout file for touchOSC will be included. The namespace will be documented and released. This will allow you to:
Create your own layout in touchOSC
Create your own layout in Lemur
Connect external OSC hardware.

I will also be responsive to feature request at the protocol level i.e. you want a new type of message that links faders a & b at a ratio of c;

What is still to be done before relases is:
improve the code/polish ofr release
add a lot more message types.
get feedback working.
ui for the android app.

Any questions?

:)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2014, 02:58:57 PM »
Lots of questions but for now just one. How will your code live with Mackie's in the DL. Both transparently available for differing hardware (iPad/Android) or not.
When in doubt KISS

metacom

• Youngling
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2014, 03:06:44 PM »
It will live happily side by side; Yes to transparently available for different hardware. i.e. you can simulatenously run the same mix from an osc source and mackies original app.
The app to load up the code will initially only be able for android as I don't have any means to develop for iOS right now; A coleague has promised to let my use his dev account when he gets back from vacation.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2014, 04:16:04 PM »
Sounds quite promising. Now have you approached the paranoid's at Mackie for a possible ND on the mandolin spec? I trust you are familiar with the OSC resources but for others, here is most of the non-proprietary OSC world.  http://opensoundcontrol.org/implementations
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 11:09:27 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2014, 09:01:18 PM »
On an aside, the real blow to Mackie would be to control the DL with the Behringer app. >:D Of course the DL is missing a few hardware functions for that. I wonder if David Schumann is up for supporting the DL? Metacom you might want to ask him.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 09:08:47 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

metacom

• Youngling
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2014, 02:22:24 AM »
Lol.. It is doable, using the same techniques, but its a giant pain in the ass...

Looking for ideas re: control intrarelationships. i.e linking fader x to fader y by function z. Comes from the mathematician in me. When I'm mixing, i would really like to define the snare  level as a function of the kick, or even a function of the sum of the sum of the drum levels.. I want ideas re: what sort of funtions are desired.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2014, 06:20:26 AM »
Metacom check your PM ( Forum private messages) box.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 06:22:46 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2014, 06:41:47 AM »
Lol.. It is doable, using the same techniques, but its a giant pain in the ass...

Looking for ideas re: control intrarelationships. i.e linking fader x to fader y by function z. Comes from the mathematician in me. When I'm mixing, i would really like to define the snare  level as a function of the kick, or even a function of the sum of the sum of the drum levels.. I want ideas re: what sort of funtions are desired.
In that vein take a look at Dave Rat's concept of mixing and turn the math ratios idea loose. I think your on the same path but different ways to implement control.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMMmR1u0CFk
 Hope that PM contact will turn out with positive results.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 07:22:13 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2014, 02:19:59 PM »
Any news you care to share? On the live mixing for larger groups or at least a drummer in the band the mixing concept I was referring to is known as stems (sub-channel) mixing. Here is a detailed explanation used in mix-down and mastering.
http://www.digido.com/articles-and-demos12/13-bob-katz/19-mixing-tips-and-tricks.html
When in doubt KISS

metacom

• Youngling
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2014, 01:42:12 AM »
Lots of developments.. release v0.01 will be up soon. A sneak preview here: