Author Topic: iOS 8  (Read 72561 times)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
iOS 8
« on: June 05, 2014, 06:20:07 PM »
"Here we go again" a famous quote from Ronald Reagan not RR. The dust hasn't even settled on iOS 7 so what better way to remove focus on all it's problems but to announce iOS 8. Way to go fruit.
http://www.apple.com/ios/ios8/?cid=wwa-us-kwg-ipad-com
Now a yearly event?
When in doubt KISS

Keyboard Magic

• Master
Re: iOS 8
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 09:19:23 PM »
OIY!!!  :facepalm:  Catch Up Time for Mackie or not??   :P
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 12:23:38 AM by Keyboard Magic »
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 04:57:26 AM »
I'm not seeing a problem yet, but turn off automatic updates so it requires your approval to install.  And none of this guaruntees that Master Fader will work correctly. 

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 05:06:00 PM »
Now that everyone in development land has heard all the good news and was sent packing from WWDC with the new Apple Sauce for iOS 8 this should be an interesting year, that's all they have til iOS 9. Ah yes the "Borg have landed", paranoia is infectious and Steve lives on. Apps will be removed that don't meet the new anti-social attitude or is it power fever. Let's rewrite everything in Swift the new Apple language. :lol: No time for writing apps got to keep up with Apple.
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 08:53:44 PM »
We are now a few days away from release of iOS 8. If you look at all the Apple propaganda there is nary a mention of the word AUDIO. HD playback is the closest you get. Does that give you a hint of the importance to Apple of AUDIO? The SDK for developers covers all kinds of new toys but not a hint of AUDIO, you really have to dig to find it.
When in doubt KISS

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 10:45:45 PM »
What are the ramifications of updating to iOS 8 and Master Fader 2.1.1.? Will Master Fader fail? Or since the announcement of the DL32R supposedly being released next month, is Mackie releasing an updated version of Master Fader with the iOS 8 release? I am certainly not going to update my iPads just in case. We await with baited breath.  :P

PS: WK I did read your most recent post ("Does that give you a hint of the importance to Apple of AUDIO? The SDK for developers covers all kinds of new toys but not a hint of AUDIO, you really have to dig to find it.")

It does look bleak for compatibility with the current version of Master Fader.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 10:57:55 PM by Keyboard Magic »
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 11:09:58 PM »
Your guess is as good as mine. I hope they will fix the noise/sync problem and nothing else. That would make my day. I think on the DL16/32r it will be announced not released. Notice the lack of the control surface pics, my guess it's not close enough to be shown. If it's like the MF just more channels and a few fixes (preamps) it will be a non-starter. Just like Apple's iPhone 6 being scooped by Samsung Notepad 4. Presonus scooped Mackie big time and I don't think they expected that. Shipping at the end of September, probably October.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 11:12:02 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 11:23:11 PM »
WK; If I may quote you?

"I hope they will fix the noise/sync problem and nothing else. That would make my day."

That would be nice.  ::) And I don't use one (DL that is) very often, except at the school. I'll have to watch the video again, but from what I've seen, they don't reveal too much. Hmmm! I actually liked the Presonus video much better. More info! The ball is indeed in Mackie's court. I wonder if Beno is lurking?  ;)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 11:24:58 PM by Keyboard Magic »

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 09:17:03 PM »
September 17th is the magic day. After Tim Cook announced that Apple just about invented everything that's good in the world maybe they can produce a good OS. Don't forget to get your FREE U2 album and remember from now on you can pay all your bills by looking at your AppleWatch, as long  as you have your iPhone in your pocket ::) ::) ::).
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 09:23:16 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 10:38:42 PM »
AC/DC's " Highway to Hell" comes to mind!  :P  No?  ::) Contrary to that comment, I really do love all the tech goodies as long as everything plays nice with everything else.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 10:41:12 PM by Keyboard Magic »

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2014, 03:05:56 AM »
Thought the presentation was good.  Will upgrade one of my ipads and test it out before upgrading the rest of my ios devices.  I don't have any gigs scheduled close to that time.  ios hasn't been much of a problem from my personal experience.  (All my upgrades have gone well, but I've only had the mixer for a year at this point.)

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2014, 12:06:38 AM »
I was concerned about upgrading my iDevices to iOS 8 and what effect it might have on Master Fader and the school’s DL that I run. Basically will it turn the DL into a very expensive paper weight? So I posed my concern to the man at Mackie, Ben O. Here is the response:

There shouldn’t be any issues. We have been testing the Betas and will continue to do so until apple launches. But it is always best to not be the first person to dive in with your production hardware, just in case Apple changes something at the last minute. I would watch the forum and our facebook or twitter. We will announce if things are good ASAP.”

The cautionary tone of the above quote doesn’t instill a lot of confidence in my mind. But like you mentioned Wynnd and a very smart idea it is too.  :thu: Just upgrade one iDevice to iOS 8 and find out if it works. “Might as well jump” as they say.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2014, 01:20:52 AM »
KM By now you should know that marketing types aren't going to give the correct answer or any answer at all. Case in point QSC's Brad Zell, Mackie's Ben Olswang, and let's not forget Uli Behringer. They will tell you what you want to hear or avoid an answer altogether, they actually train for this. If you can find an engineer that can be assured that it won't get back to him, then you may have a chance at an honest answer. Other than that you need to rely on people without a vested interest or not threatened by giving an answer, and they need to know what their talking about. Quite a challenge.  :)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 01:22:57 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

pytchley

• Knight
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2014, 07:03:47 AM »
I was concerned about upgrading my iDevices to iOS 8 and what effect it might have on Master Fader and the school’s DL that I run. Basically will it turn the DL into a very expensive paper weight? So I posed my concern to the man at Mackie, Ben O. Here is the response:

There shouldn’t be any issues. We have been testing the Betas and will continue to do so until apple launches. But it is always best to not be the first person to dive in with your production hardware, just in case Apple changes something at the last minute. I would watch the forum and our facebook or twitter. We will announce if things are good ASAP.”

The cautionary tone of the above quote doesn’t instill a lot of confidence in my mind. But like you mentioned Wynnd and a very smart idea it is too.  :thu: Just upgrade one iDevice to iOS 8 and find out if it works. “Might as well jump” as they say.

That's rich coming from BenO, I seem to remember there was a Mackie forum once!

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2014, 11:23:40 AM »
Apple has a vast customer base to cover, what small percentage are musicians or DL1608 owners?
The fine detail of iOS8 will reveal itself in due course.
Apple aren't making their operating systems to suit us or Mackie. Third parties are making their tech to work on iOS.
Time marches on, why would Apple waste resources fixing problems on an out of date OS?
Stuff will work on it but not everybody will be happy, but that's life!
The older I get, the better I was!