Author Topic: iOS 8  (Read 71806 times)

Wynnd

• Master
Re: iOS 8
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2014, 01:07:55 PM »
On the other hand, after living through OS changes running from PC-DOS 1.1 through Windows 7 and Mac OS 7.1 through Mavericks, Apple doesn't make many mistakes.  (Nobody's perfect, but there are differences in how well things are done.  Microsoft in an effort to be everything to everybody, probably has had the harder job.)   So the probability is everything will work fine, but with this being a critical component of the DL mixers, we need to be cautious.

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2014, 01:16:55 PM »
Ah, there’s still that part of you occasionally putting on the rose colored glasses that wants to give them the benefit of the doubt now and then. Just hoping they will be straight with you and having a bit of faith in human nature. Then reality sets in.

That’s why I like this forum, there are many honest, professional and experienced straight shooters here and that’s refreshing. I’ve picked up so much good information and knowledge since I joined. Kudos to everyone!!  :thu:
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2014, 01:52:46 PM »
Wynnd,

Yes living through OS changes especially on Windows platforms was and is still challenging. Windows ME, Vista and 8/8.1 for example (Windows 7 was better IMO). I’ve installed these OSes many times on client computers over the years and everyone was a different challenge.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t the Mac OS originally designed to run only on Apple hardware? (and iOS today for their portable devices) Thus avoiding hardware issues and fails making the platform relatively stable and reliable versus Windows which has to be able to run on a variety of different hardware configurations and work most of the time. Which does lead to unstable drivers and the like.

To make a long point longer, I think I may have a little more faith in upgrading iOS versions than Windows. But as you mentioned wisely, caution is still required. Time will tell and hopefully as discussed many times before, a better version of Master Fader may help, if and when it’s released.

I think it's time for milk and cookies right now! (oatmeal chocolate chip to be exact) ;)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 02:01:04 PM by Keyboard Magic »
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2014, 02:04:31 PM »
Hey KM,
ME, Vista and Win8 all suck(ed) IMHO - regardless of hardware!
I use a mixture of Mac & PC and I've built a Hackintosh which runs very nicely, very stable :)
Most of the time I use Win 7, it's a great platform for my work and gives no bother at all.
I'm on Mavericks and it works flawlessly but TBH, I prefer Win 7.
Android - naaah, not for me! Too fussy, too bitty, not natural for me. But that's only my opinion ;)
The older I get, the better I was!

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2014, 02:42:55 PM »
robbocurry

Yeah I like 7 better, even though I'm running 8.1 currently on my newish laptop. Just trying to get with the times. I am running StartIsBack to have my familiar desktop look though. I've found 8.1 a bit faster to boot, load programs and shut down a little faster. But there's still some bugs, like every OS I guess, that can be annoying some times. I have considered a few times though to downgrade back to 7. If I had a bit more cash and was doing a lot of music/audio work I think I would be using a mac though. Just my thoughts.

No Android for me. Don't like their touch screen layout. Did some Linux a few years back, had to run scripts remotely to test a communications protocol for Shoppers Drug Mart. (big drugstore chain here) They were trying to link all their stores together with data exchange software and satellite hardware. Late 90's I think. At least I didn't have to write the scripts, just had manually type them in, no GUI front end. Linux is too confusing for me. I'll stick with Windows for now and iOS. I do kinda like it. 
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 02:58:58 PM by Keyboard Magic »

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2014, 03:15:27 PM »
A lot of complaining about Windows 8.  I really think that MS was right to do it now.  Apple will probably have the software installed on Mavericks before they ever put out a touch screen Mac.  (And it's time for it.  I'm already trying to scroll that way.)  While the tiles screen is throwing everyone off, in the long run it is the way to go.  But knowing MS, they'll probably toss it away some time anyway.

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2014, 03:24:18 PM »
Wynnd (sorry WK  :-[ )

I force my self to use the Start Screen to get used to it. At least in 8.1 there's the ability to customize it a little more and make it work for you. You can remove/uninstall quite a bit if you want too, which is better. I think with all the pressure/flak MS is getting, Windows 9 may be a bit different and more familiar to us old codgers (present company excluded, accepted  ;) ) and easier to use. I do find myself using the Start Screen more and more and less the desktop though.  8)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 04:10:15 PM by Keyboard Magic »

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2014, 05:20:52 PM »
KM,
I forced myself to skip every other version of Windows, less of a waste of my time. My view of an operating system is a service that should be transparent to the user. After all it's about an application and its user interaction. Providing sufficient facilities for developers to make things easy to deal with the hardware and common data handling tasks is the task of libraries. Yes the Unix model and other OS's. Apple likes to blur those lines and control everything possible. At the end of the  day Mackie has the responsibility to make their product work regardless of what Apple does. Making bad decisions by locking yourself into one supplier is not the buyers problem, making uninformed decisions is.

For those of you interested in my choice of Windows OS versions:
NT3 (V3.1 etc.)
NT5 (XP)
NT7 (Windows 7)
NT9 (TBD) now labeled 10
I had interim versions but never installed them at clients.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 06:20:45 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2014, 06:33:52 PM »
WK;

100% right on this. Mackie and possibly some others do have the responsibility. We do (should make) have to make informed decisions and choices not only for one small area, but in every thing we buy or do, but we all fall off the rails occasionally, some more than others.

IE: our current Mayor of Toronto. Don't need to say too much here. Unfortunately he made some bad choices. Now he may be fighting for his very life in hospital. His choices shouldn't affect whether he is now ill at all, but in this case it's a good bet that some of his choices directly affected his health. Sorry this one's not bothering me too much at all.  :(  Very hot topic here.

(Cue deep announcer's voice)

"And on a lighter note, this reference says it all:  (Yoda's voice here)  " Do or do not, there is no try"

Should've taken the blue pill!!!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 01:24:08 AM by Keyboard Magic »

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2014, 07:24:41 PM »
For those of you interested the iOS 8 Gold Master was released to developers on Sept. 9th. Hope Mackie is busy testing MF with it. :)
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2014, 05:22:21 AM »
The big mystery is whether multitasking with split screen will make it in. This may be a possible relieve for using other than MF record/playback. May even help sync problems if they are timing related.
When in doubt KISS

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2014, 02:00:48 PM »
Just for conversation sake, who’s going to be the first here to update one or more of their iPads to iOS 8 and test it docked on their DL? I’m going out on a limb and update my older iPad 2 first and try it docked with the school’s DL. Of course if I turn it (DL) into a boat anchor, I am toast.  :facepalm: I’m having a lot of faith that everything will go smoothly though.  ;)

For me though, there's always that little bit of excitement upgrading to a new  or updated OS, to see what, if any, cool changes have been done.  8)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 02:04:01 PM by Keyboard Magic »

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2014, 03:33:34 PM »
KM updating the iPad will not affect the DL. Two separate devices worst case it won't dock.
When in doubt KISS

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2014, 04:03:20 PM »
Knowing my track record here with my one and only DL, time will tell! ;)

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2014, 07:26:36 PM »
I'll be biting, but will make sure that I have a fully restorable backup before doing the upgrade.  (Will probably rename the backup to ensure that upgrading can't wipe it out.)  I back up all my ios devices to my macbook, so will go through them all first and upgrade them probably at the same time.  My experience with ios upgrades has been good, and I don't have any mission critical situations for a few weeks.  Will report back as soon as I've been able to test it.