Author Topic: iOS 8  (Read 71777 times)

gerenm63

• Knight
    • gerenm.net
Re: iOS 8
« Reply #120 on: October 09, 2014, 05:33:04 PM »
I took the plunge and upgraded one iPad to IOS 8 (8.0.2) and slid it into the 1608. Worked flawlessly. But then.... I had everyone else in the group upgrade their respective iPads (one was too old to upgrade). That was a huge mistake. They keep disconnecting from the mixer and have to re-sync. Even when connected there are lags. Push up a slider, the feedback on the screen looks right, but there is no audio change so you push up a little more. Then a few seconds later it makes it to the mixer and that channel IS SCREAMING LOUD! One might think I have a wireless problem. But no, the old iPad that can't be upgraded works just fine.

What version iPads are you using? I've got a Mini with 8.0.2, and I'm not noticing any significant lag. I'm looking to pick up an extra iPad or two, and was looking at 2nd generation models because they're pretty cheap right now. Also, I understand that if you bring another app to the foreground (in my case, OnSong), when you come back to Master Fader, it is normal for the iPad to have to re-sync to the DL.
We are using 3rd & 4th generation. All with same results. Did not try a mini.
If you push up a fader on one iPad, is there a lag before you see it move on the others? Or is that still moving well? How many iPads? What kind of router (2.4GHz or 5GHz)? How old is your DL? I don't pretend to have any particular answers at this point, I'm just looking for some sort of pattern...
Geren W. Mortensen, Jr.
Westminster, Maryland, USA

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #121 on: October 09, 2014, 06:29:24 PM »
It's now been a month since the Gold Master was released by Apple and BenO's statement that they are working on checking to see if all is OK. REALLY how long will it take to give the all clear. This just shows the irresponsible attitude that Mackie has regarding it's customers. Why would you depend on this kind of service for your own business? I don't plan to give Mackie another dime.
When in doubt KISS

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #122 on: October 09, 2014, 06:32:53 PM »
Did you "force close" all other apps on the iPads? IME that helps a lot.

esquare

• Initiate
« Reply #123 on: October 09, 2014, 06:36:19 PM »
I took the plunge and upgraded one iPad to IOS 8 (8.0.2) and slid it into the 1608. Worked flawlessly. But then.... I had everyone else in the group upgrade their respective iPads (one was too old to upgrade). That was a huge mistake. They keep disconnecting from the mixer and have to re-sync. Even when connected there are lags. Push up a slider, the feedback on the screen looks right, but there is no audio change so you push up a little more. Then a few seconds later it makes it to the mixer and that channel IS SCREAMING LOUD! One might think I have a wireless problem. But no, the old iPad that can't be upgraded works just fine.

What version iPads are you using? I've got a Mini with 8.0.2, and I'm not noticing any significant lag. I'm looking to pick up an extra iPad or two, and was looking at 2nd generation models because they're pretty cheap right now. Also, I understand that if you bring another app to the foreground (in my case, OnSong), when you come back to Master Fader, it is normal for the iPad to have to re-sync to the DL.
We are using 3rd & 4th generation. All with same results. Did not try a mini.
If you push up a fader on one iPad, is there a lag before you see it move on the others? Or is that still moving well? How many iPads? What kind of router (2.4GHz or 5GHz)? How old is your DL? I don't pretend to have any particular answers at this point, I'm just looking for some sort of pattern...
Will be dragging everything out of the trailer Saturday night for another gig and will do more checking and reply. Last weekend we had 2 outside gigs with no other wireless that could cause interference.  I don't remember what wireless router I have but would think it shouldn't be the choke point if the non-IOS8 ipad is happy. Will set several next to each other and see how they react, may post a video. We have a 6 piece with in ear monitors so everyone has an iPad running On-Song and Master Fader. Everyone has control of just their aux out.

gerenm63

• Knight
    • gerenm.net
« Reply #124 on: October 09, 2014, 06:49:32 PM »
We have a 6 piece with in ear monitors so everyone has an iPad running On-Song and Master Fader. Everyone has control of just their aux out.

Are you guys using OnSong "beaming" or "streaming" or is everyone managing their own charts? I ask, because the OnSong makes heavy use of its own ad-hoc network over the WiFi connection for this to work, and may eat up significant bandwidth. It could be getting in the way of Master Fader's communication to the DL.
Geren W. Mortensen, Jr.

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #125 on: October 09, 2014, 06:58:41 PM »
It's now been a month since the Gold Master was released by Apple and BenO's statement that they are working on checking to see if all is OK. REALLY how long will it take to give the all clear. This just shows the irresponsible attitude that Mackie has regarding it's customers. Why would you depend on this kind of service for your own business? I don't plan to give Mackie another dime.
Maybe no news is good news. They've checked it and nothing critical is wrong, hence no announcement.
If it was frying everything around it, I'd be annoyed if they said nothing. Did they issue "all clear" messages on other iOS updates? Genuinely I don't know, I didn't see any but then I wasn't looking. Aren't iOS updates rather routine now?
The older I get, the better I was!

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #126 on: October 09, 2014, 07:14:39 PM »
Maybe no news is good news. They've checked it and nothing critical is wrong, hence no announcement.
If it was frying everything around it, I'd be annoyed if they said nothing. Did they issue "all clear" messages on other iOS updates? Genuinely I don't know, I didn't see any but then I wasn't looking. Aren't iOS updates rather routine now?
Well from a responsible manufacturer like Studio 6 Digital I already know that changes were made to iOS 8 audio that would also require Mackie to fix as well. Unlike Studio 6, Mackie has chosen to ignore this with the OCT. 15 event as an excuse. Their Facebook inquiries regarding status with iOS 8 are simply being ignored. You can deal with a manufacturer like that but I wont. BenO stated that Mackie would give the all clear once they checked it. Can't believe it's taking  this long or not to even say that they found some issues and not to upgrade like Studio 6 did.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 07:19:32 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #127 on: October 09, 2014, 10:05:56 PM »
I'm pretty sure there's a lag between changing one ipad and it changing on a different ipad, but whatever it is, it's got to be pretty short, cause I can't see it.

gerenm63

• Knight
    • gerenm.net
« Reply #128 on: October 10, 2014, 01:23:11 AM »
I'm pretty sure there's a lag between changing one ipad and it changing on a different ipad, but whatever it is, it's got to be pretty short, cause I can't see it.
What I'm wondering is if esquare is seeing a significant lag that corresponds with the lag he(?) is experiencing to the mixer itself. That might indicate some kind of wireless network issue.

The suggestion to force-quit everything before starting up the session is a good one -- maybe even a full power-down/power-up of the iPads -- as it ensures no vestigial bits of apps are trying to run and messing with timing.
Geren W. Mortensen, Jr.

Alex H

• Padawan
« Reply #129 on: October 11, 2014, 01:09:01 PM »
Wonder if anyone can help

Just upgraded my iPad to 8.0.2 and have noticed that when using my 1608 wirelessly, I am getting a disconnect every three or four minutes, followed by a reconnect and then a sync.

The iPad is doesn't appear to be losing its signal from the router.

Anyone any ideas please?

Tks

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #130 on: October 11, 2014, 04:11:51 PM »
Try "force closing" all the other apps on your iPad, stuff running in the background can cause issues...

Alex H

• Padawan
« Reply #131 on: October 11, 2014, 06:04:55 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion RR.  The iPad is dedicated to the task - its used for mixing the sound at our Church.   Master Faser is the only downloaded app installed, other than those installed by OS.  I did check this and as far as I could see the only other app running was Music, which I did force close.  However, the same situation still occurring.

I am using an Airport Express as a router, and I see that I have a yellow blinking light, which I assume is correct as I am not connected externally to Internet - is this assumption correct?

Thanks

gerenm63

• Knight
    • gerenm.net
« Reply #132 on: October 11, 2014, 09:03:22 PM »
I'm running iOS 8.0.2 on my iPad Mini. Did a show with it and my new DL last night, and it was flawless, as was my iPhone 5 (also running 8.0.2). I used all the "toys." At various points in the evening, both devices we docked to the DL. My DL is a 30-pin model, and I used the Apple 30-pin-to-Lightning adapter cable. When connected, both devices charged and appeared to connect over the cable (I got the usual pop-up when connecting/disconnecting the devices). Everything ran perfectly all night long - no comm drops, to noise bursts. My router is a Netgear N600 dual-band, and both the phone and iPad were the using 5GHz connection.
Geren W. Mortensen, Jr.

gerenm63

• Knight
    • gerenm.net
« Reply #133 on: October 11, 2014, 09:04:23 PM »
Oops, typo on the phone ... Should be NO noise bursts...
Geren W. Mortensen, Jr.

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #134 on: October 11, 2014, 10:39:35 PM »
Alex,
you SHOULD NOT have a blinking yellow light on the Airport Express, if you do this explains your dropouts.
The router's light should be solid green once it has been on a few minutes.

It is best practice to turn on the router first, then once the L.E.D. is solid green, turn on the DL1608's power and iPad too. 
On your i-Pad, install Airport Utility from the App store. Use it to properly set up the Airport Express,.... read instructions on how to set it up.

Dan