Author Topic: iOS 8  (Read 71780 times)

gerenm63

• Knight
    • gerenm.net
Re: iOS 8
« Reply #135 on: October 12, 2014, 12:36:03 AM »
The air port led (at least mine) will only be green if there's an Internet connection. But I don't believe it should be flashing, either. IIRC, mine flashes when it's starting up, goes solid yellow when the local network is active, and green when the network and Internet is up.
Geren W. Mortensen, Jr.
Westminster, Maryland, USA

gerenm63

• Knight
    • gerenm.net
« Reply #136 on: October 12, 2014, 01:41:26 AM »
Retract my last. There are several versions of the Airport each with different LED indications. You can see what the lights mean here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4600

Geren W. Mortensen, Jr.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Geren W. Mortensen, Jr.

iBloke

Just some general FYI about iOS 8 etc..
« Reply #137 on: October 12, 2014, 05:06:45 AM »
I updated to iOS 8.0.2 after last weekends gig, but only my iPad mini. My old ipad 3 is docked in the DL almost permanently so I have no need or desire to install iOS 8 on it. It's still on iOS 7.1.2.

Been using the iPad mini for wireless control all week. Hours of use and not one glitch so far..at least none that I've noticed.

And I'm still using my generally shitty D-link DHP-1320 router which is only capable of 2.4 ghz.
So far there's been zero wireless connectivity problems with it at several full house gigs. I tend to see more dropped sync issues with the docked iPad than the wireless one.

This is just meant for some general info for anybody researching these particular issues :).

Alex H

• Padawan
« Reply #138 on: October 12, 2014, 07:19:42 AM »
Thanks Dan.   I had assumed that the Airp[ort Express was blinking yellow because it had not ben connected to the Internet,    I will re-setup the AE and see what happens

Alex

Alex H

• Padawan
« Reply #139 on: October 14, 2014, 03:26:51 PM »
Ok.  Have reset all of the kit.  Airport Express now turns green.   It seems that the issue is with the range extender I added.  As soon as I plug this in on the network, Master Fader starts dropping out momentarily and then resyncing.

The extender is set to the same SSID, on the correct IP range, and both router and extender are on 2.4 ghz .   
Should I be able to use the 1608 with a network extender?

Thanks

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #140 on: October 14, 2014, 06:45:35 PM »
Depends upon how far away you have the ipad.  I do 75' on 5 Ghz without any issues.  If you're only able to do 2.4 Ghz, you might run into other devices interfering with the signal.  (Pretty crowded band with wireless phones, printers, other wifi networks hanging around.)  That said, my iphone 4S won't run 5 Ghz and generally works fine at 2.4 Ghz.   (I have one of the later Airport Express that will do both frequencies at the same time.)  You do need a unique name for each SSID device.  (Wifi router, extender.)  My Wifi router has different names for the two different bands.  (NoInternetHere and NoInternetHere 5Ghz.  You're welcome to use those names if you'd like.)  For my ease, I set both up with the identical passphrase.  (Easier to remember.)  I don't give it out to others, but if they want control over their own monitor mixes, I will enter it in their phone. (Or ipad.)  Just like I don't know my Son's network passphrase but can use my laptop at their home, knowledge of the actual password isn't required of the user.  (It also controls who can access your controlling network.)

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #141 on: October 15, 2014, 03:23:12 AM »
The extender is set to the same SSID, on the correct IP range, and both router and extender are on 2.4 ghz .
The extender I have says to NOT set it to the same SSID otherwise you'd have both trying to talk to your iPad at once = "A Very Bad Thing (tm)".

Alex H

• Padawan
« Reply #142 on: October 15, 2014, 07:33:24 AM »
The extender I have says to NOT set it to the same SSID otherwise you'd have both trying to talk to your iPad at once = "A Very Bad Thing (tm)".

Ah, thanks for that I'll try changing it and seeing if that makes any difference.   The 1608 is located in our 14th century Church, and the router won't quite reach to an area where we need it.   Happily there are no other wifi's in the area, the real problem is the stone pillars I suspect :)

Alex

iBloke

« Reply #143 on: October 15, 2014, 07:45:07 AM »
.....or it's possible the illuminati has something to do with it..  ;D

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #144 on: October 15, 2014, 05:34:56 PM »
I label my network with the name of my show, I don't think calling it Ebola or free virus stops anyone trying to get in.

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #145 on: October 15, 2014, 05:40:06 PM »
Or.... "Abandon hope all ye who enter here" Think that would stop the little darlings?

Okay, one last one.... "THE DEVIL'S DOMAIN" That was bad, I know.  :-[
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 06:07:14 PM by Keyboard Magic »
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #146 on: October 16, 2014, 11:01:59 AM »
I don't think there is any evidence people trying to log on to your network makes it fall over?

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #147 on: October 16, 2014, 12:44:37 PM »
No, but hypothetically speaking, if there's a savvy person in the crowd who happens to know about MF and has an iDevice, he or she could reek havoc on your mix. Always make sure your network is secure. Which we all do right?  ;) There's still quite a few people that don't secure their home wireless networks. If you give out your passwords, make sure to change them regularly (the passwords not your band mates!  ;D) , or make them swear on their lives, take their first born, etc. etc.  >:D

If you're running on 2.4 GHz there's more chance of interference from other devices, even wireless mics. When I first used the DL I was running on 2.4 only, had a Shure Digital Wireless mic on 2.4 and during the show the mic was cutting in and out. During the intermission I set my Apple Airport Express Router to 5 GHz only. No more mic drop outs.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 01:25:10 PM by Keyboard Magic »
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #148 on: October 16, 2014, 02:28:25 PM »
It goes without saying my friend that you always set a secure password similar to the one on the alarm at home

1 2 3 4

:)

Harpman

• Knight
  • “If music be the food of love, play on"
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #149 on: October 16, 2014, 03:12:16 PM »
KM, I will have to test a bit more. I have that Shure Digital mic as well and it sits in the shelf due to the cut outs. I think I already tried the 5 GHz only, but will try again. Next wireless mic will be UHF :)
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment
"We Bring Good Music to Life"