Author Topic: My First Anniversary  (Read 8483 times)

Fluddman

• Knight
My First Anniversary
« on: June 10, 2014, 06:44:50 AM »
Just noticed I've had my DL1608 for a year and have probably done a 100 gigs with it.

I have to say that its been outstanding for me, particularly after master fader 2.1 was released.

Apart from a couple of 'freezes' i've had no trouble and I am even contemplating buying a second one as a backup.

Sure I'd like multichannel recording and better effects but they're not deal breakers for me - so until there's a superior option at the DL price point I'll be sticking with it.

Anybody else still enjoying theirs?

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
Re: My First Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 07:57:27 AM »
Yup, not done as many gigs with it as you, a couple of dozen probably, but I've had mine for 18 months + and it has been great. No problems apart from the odd operator error and plenty of complements. ;D

CyberHippy

• Padawan
  • Bass Bass Bass
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 04:05:53 PM »
That's awesome, I ordered mine the day they came out & got it about a month later. I've done a few gigs with it, all went great, and I use it daily at my day-job as a preamp & compressor for my Heil PR40 that I use for Skype, GoTo Meeting & for making lesson videos for the software I support. It has been rock-solid for me the whole time.

I do gigs for several companies and of course use their gear at the gigs, my current favorite consoles are the Soundcraft Si series - many gigs using the Expression 3, and just mixed a stage at the Haight St Fair using the Performer 2 - always a pleasure & easy to get a good mix from those mixers!

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 09:24:21 PM »
Just like Fluddman I'm sure I've over 100 gigs done on my DL :thu:
Once I got into it's way of working it's been a great little mixer, or should I say, a great big mixer in a little mixer box! (try saying that after a few beers)
The older I get, the better I was!

gtrdudes

• Padawan
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 10:49:29 PM »
Happy anniversary. Between my duo and 6 piece band I've used the DL 250+ times. Only problem I've had is the trim knobs being turned up or down by accident. Not big enough deal for me to ditch and get x32 rack. This mixer was a total game changer.  Can't wait to see where we go from here.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 05:04:28 AM »
The DL does foretell some amazing possibilities.  As long as it's working and the software doesn't fall too far behind, I would think it would be good to wait for as long as possible before jumping to the next new thing.  I would be surprised if Master Fader gets much more in function improvements.  Expecting sometime soon, that all software changes will be bug fixes.  At that point, sales of the DL should nearly stop.  Possible exception is if Master Fader gets ported to a new mixer product.  (It could happen.)

workingstiff

• Youngling
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 02:49:58 PM »
I've been lurking here since the demise of Mackie's user forums. I went ahead and made an account today to report my long term experiences. I purchased my 1608 in December of 2012. I'm 100's of gigs in with no serious meltdowns. I lost sync a few times several months ago but I altered my start up procedure and haven't had any problems since. I use it for my acoustic duo/trio and my full band. The rig gets moved several times per week and conditions vary from air conditioned indoor gigs to outdoor shows in heat and high humidity (Florida in the summer) as well as a few really cold shows and even a few rainy ones. It's been a reliable little mixer that has served me well.

ijpengelly

• Knight
  • Weekend Warrior
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 07:07:55 PM »
Think I am approaching 2 years with mine, at whole array of gigs and systems. Had the odd glitch, but nothing a restart wouldn't sort and always sorted before the gig. Think most of it is down to me not plugging the RJ45 connector in properly!  :facepalm: DOH

Love the reaction it gets from bands and the audience. Couldn't do with the hassle of a snake and large mixer anymore.

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2014, 06:03:53 AM »
Wow it's really pleasing to hear there are some happy owners out there. Nice to hear some good news stories!

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2014, 11:53:05 AM »
There are obviously some issues with some of the mixers or ipads, but it's a viable mixer and it would be nice if all these issues were fixed for everybody.  Airplay has been the best option for playing break music.  (Or a song during rehearsals for cover bands.)  It's also been useful because I pretty much always have my iphone on me and it's easier to use than the ipad channel on the mixer.  (It's also very unApple like.  I find that strange.)

stevegarris

• Knight
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2014, 10:16:17 PM »
Wow it's really pleasing to hear there are some happy owners out there. Nice to hear some good news stories!

Possibly a lot more than you can imagine. I got mine 1-1/2 years ago, and it's still working flawlessly. I know of 7 other area bands, and 1 club that are currently using the DL1608 (Seattle area). FWIW, I don't make recordings, and I don't use it for break music.

Oddeotek

• Padawan
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2014, 11:21:45 PM »
I'm another Seattle area DL1608 owner with hundreds of shows logged on this mixer. I don't usually record with it unless I use a couple of auxs into a portable handheld Tascam and I only use it wireless to an iPad Mini and an iPad 1. No problems so far except that the mixer will no longer charge the iPads when docked since the update last year. Using OS 5 on the iPad 1 and OS 6.1.3 on the Mini. I still get a kick out of the looks when I walk out into the audience on a song that I don't sing, sit down at a table with the Mini and adjust the mix while I use my left hand to hammer the bass parts. I am also running the iPad as a teleprompter for the song list and some lyrics and chord changes that I seem to forget. No problem switching between the two running programs.

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2014, 04:55:55 AM »
I'm another Seattle area DL1608 owner with hundreds of shows logged on this mixer. I don't usually record with it unless I use a couple of auxs into a portable handheld Tascam and I only use it wireless to an iPad Mini and an iPad 1. No problems so far except that the mixer will no longer charge the iPads when docked since the update last year. Using OS 5 on the iPad 1 and OS 6.1.3 on the Mini. I still get a kick out of the looks when I walk out into the audience on a song that I don't sing, sit down at a table with the Mini and adjust the mix while I use my left hand to hammer the bass parts. I am also running the iPad as a teleprompter for the song list and some lyrics and chord changes that I seem to forget. No problem switching between the two running programs.

Bummer that is stopped charging - its very convenient when it works.

As for getting funny looks - the first time I used the DL one of the band said to his mate 'the sound man has sat in the bloody crowd all night playing games on his ipad'. Very funny!

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2014, 05:00:31 AM »
right now I don't have a reason to upgrade my ipad itself.  If they ipad becomes multi-tasking, that will move me to a new product.  I can see using the mixer and having a split screen with OnSong on it.

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2014, 05:31:19 AM »
Wynnd, a split screen would be nice. I'd even be happy if it could just swap between Onsong and Masterfader in much less time that it takes now.

I get nervous when I am using Onsong and start to hear feedback - takes far too long to switch apps and deal with the problem. Which is why I always have an ipad docked in the DL.

Cheers