Author Topic: Video Recording, Audio off the mixer  (Read 3726 times)

mtsens1

• Padawan
Video Recording, Audio off the mixer
« on: June 12, 2014, 09:55:15 PM »
Anyone try using an Aux out to a video recorder? I tried aux out to external mic in (with a 40db pad) and get a lot of hiss. Looking for a way to shoot video with the sound off the mixer, but thinking may not be possible with my cheap camcorder.

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
Re: Video Recording, Audio off the mixer
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 10:24:31 PM »
What matters is the camcorder input, if it's a mic input then you'll need a pad as you describe, not sure why you'd get lots of hiss then, could it be the 40dB was too much and the AGC on the camcorder was pushing the camera gain up high and generating hiss in the camera pre-amp?

mtsens1

• Padawan
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 11:10:00 PM »
I should have mentioned, the pad has a 20, 30, and 40 db switch, and any position has no effect on the hiss. I wish the AGC was adjustable. I get no hiss plugging in a monitor, just the camera. I've tried using the EQ method also to reduce the output, but the hiss is alway's there and constant.

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 07:33:35 AM »
It sounds like the hiss is generated by the camera.The DL does have a problem with noise when used with unbalanced line inputs but that is a digital buzz not a white noise hiss. If that is what you are experiencing a special lead or an isolating transformer usually solves the issue. Have you another mixer you can try just to see if that's the case?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 07:37:21 AM by sam.spoons »

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 02:25:33 PM »
Best just to record on both devices and synch them up later in your video editing software.  :thu:
The older I get, the better I was!

Greg C.

• Forty-Two
  • Knight
    • Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 06:36:08 PM »
If you can't get usable audio with the camera, my advice would be to record to an external device and sync up the A/V later when you edit.
Procrastinators of the World, Contemplate Uniting!

mtsens1

• Padawan
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2014, 12:31:19 PM »
Thanks everyone. I do not have another mixer, but narrowed it down to the camera as suspected. Hooked up a zoom recorder, works fine w/o the hiss.Regarding syncing a recorder with the video, is there a cheap app for that, or do I need something like pro tools?

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2014, 01:18:32 PM »
Any good DAW can do it.  Remember that movie clap boards?  That was for syncing video and sound.

WJF

• Padawan
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2014, 04:10:56 PM »
Check out Reaper ... it is available - uncrippled, for evaluation without a time limit. If you do decide to license it, it is amazingly affordable and a downright steal for the functionality it provides. It isn't a video centric DAW but for syncing sound to a video clip, it should give you everything you need.

Hope this helps ...

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2014, 08:11:40 AM »
+1 for Reaper, brilliant  ;D

If you use a mac then iMovie will let you import the good audio and line it up with your video (as will any video editing software of mac, win doze, iOs etc).
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 08:13:32 AM by sam.spoons »

mtsens1

• Padawan
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2014, 12:43:02 PM »
Thanks everyone. Good stuff, will give it a try.