Author Topic: Fluke or Good Luck? Hope for the DL?  (Read 17982 times)

Keyboard Magic

• Master
Fluke or Good Luck? Hope for the DL?
« on: June 15, 2014, 01:30:27 PM »
Was given the opportunity to fill in to run sound for a venue that was using a new DL1608, 1 docked iPad, 1 wireless iPad, 3 choir mics and 1 mc wireless mic and playing backing tracks using AirPlay with iPod Touch. Had to do rehearsals all last week resulting in the DL running continuously for 6 hours at a time x 4 days. Not one sync issue at all.

The dress rehearsal is Monday aft, followed by the concert in the evening. Oh Yes it was a 30 pin. I brought my own iPads for backup. The wireless was excellent using AirPort Express. All iOS devices were iOS 7.1.1 and Master Fader was at 2.1.1.

I was quite impressed that the DL ran flawlessly the whole time and I hope that it will do so for the concert. I brought along my backup analog mixer just in case. Is this a fluke or just good luck? Maybe they got a good DL? I should’ve had that DL instead of mine.  :P  Has Mackie taken advice and made improvements?
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Wynnd

• Master
Re: Fluke or Good Luck? Hope for the DL?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 03:17:06 PM »
For every DL1608 problem, there are a bunch of people not having any problems.  I'm one of those.  To some degree, it might have something to do with less than perfect construction or parts.  If it were just software, everyone would be experiencing problems.  (My view.)  There is always that part of me that considers that you are marrying two different products from two different manufacturers built in different parts of the world.  The fact that so many work without any problems is close to a miracle.   We probably shouldn't have expected things to work as well as they do.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 05:07:42 PM »
At the present time the loss of sync has not been fixed by Mackie. When it does get fixed it will be a headliner. By now we all know that YMMV and unless your staring at it for 6+ hrs. it can loose sync and recover without your knowledge. My recommendation for use of the DL is to charge it to 100% offline and reboot the iPad before the gig and use it undocked. KM you also didn't use record/playback thru the docked iPad thus avoiding a known problem.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 05:18:20 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

stevegarris

• Knight
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 07:58:17 PM »
Not a fluke at all. I know of 7 or 8 1608's being used in my area with no issues whatsoever. Mine has worked flawlessly.

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 08:28:58 PM »
WK;

I took a quote from your previous advice and others and have been running the setup wirelessly the whole time.
Even used wireless iPad sitting right next to the DL with it's docked iPad. I find it easier to run MF that way. And I certainly did not nor would have used the iPad channel as you mentioned. That's another can of worms!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 08:33:59 PM by Keyboard Magic »
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 07:35:53 AM »
Well its probably no fluke that it works fine if you don't have a docked iPad playing audio. That's the only time I have any trouble.

Cheers

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 04:01:05 PM »
So, this is the 3rd venue this week at the school that I am subbing for using the DL system. I have to say once more that it has been running at peak efficiency. No sync issues since I am using one iPad wirelessly for all shows. The docked iPad is powered but in standby mode, to be used only if the wireless dies. I am playing audio tracks with AirPlay only. Since the docked iPad display is blanked I wouldn't notice any sync issues, thankfully.

I am quite impressed indeed! To clarify, regarding my above post, that was rehearsal time and this is the actual live venues. I think this DL may actually keep on keepin' on.   8)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 04:04:52 PM by Keyboard Magic »

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2014, 04:39:17 PM »
I really have fallen in love with airplay.  It's so easy to use when testing during setup.  I always have my iphone on me so I don't have to go looking for anything extra.  (It's also, so un-Apple in its use.) 

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2014, 06:59:52 PM »
AirPlay is so cool, indeed. I like being able to use it with the windoze laptop too!  8)

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 07:06:48 PM »
The concerts are over and now back to the search for a digital mixer. I was impressed with the schools DL. Only one tiny frustration though  the mixer was located on stage and I was running remote from about 10 feet away. Had to push through parents to get at the mic pre's on the DL quite a few times, even though they were set at optimal, or so I thought.

This was the only time I would've liked software controlled mic pre's.  ;) Can you say Behringer?  :)

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2014, 09:13:09 PM »
KM I have said many times that the programable mic pre's are my number one reason for the upgrade. That's just one of many. But still at the top of my list. And it's not just for when you need to get back the pre's. You just plug everything in and walk away. You don't have to be at the board to set the initial gains. I have many times stuck my rack under a stage after I plugged everything in. I never saw the board until everything was over.

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2014, 10:55:17 PM »
Yep programable mic pre's are high on my list too, but I assume it would add to the price.

If money's tight I reckon the DL is still the best value.

Cheers

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2014, 02:23:00 AM »
There's frequently music playing in the background and I use that to level out the inputs.  Trial and error leads me to understand about what level the VU meters need to be reading.  This doesn't help on DIs.  This is where working with the same band makes a big difference.  Whenever working with a new band, there are teething problems.  (I've got a sound job coming up early August where everything in this jazz group will be mic'd.  Don't know if all the musicians will be the same as last year, but I did need to add the bassist to the mix.)  I will probably start with my ipad docked and run around with my ipad mini. 

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2014, 12:39:11 PM »
Yes, if you're going wireless, theoretically, everything should be wireless, including the mic pre's, theoretically, of course. If I use the school's system again next school year, I will have to keep the DL close and tune the room wirelessly when needed.

Long & McQuade here is already taking pre-orders for the Behringer X18. It might be time to take a long hard look at this one again. They posted a retail price of $999.99 Canadian for it, with a minimum 30 day ship date. It would be nice to play with the software first. I presume the X32 app would fill the bill for learning my way around it until the X18 software app is released.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2014, 02:53:40 PM »
The X32 app will not be too useful for X18 workflow. We are talking about a 12 bus mixer vs. a 25 bus one. Significant changes in routing etc. will exist. What little is shown of the X18 screens should give you a hint.
When in doubt KISS