Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

Two problems this past weekend

<< < (5/8) > >>

Wynnd:
The way I do my wireless is better than wired.  I have the receivers mounted in my mixing stack and already wired up.  So toss the batteries in the mic and turn it on.  Pretty easy to live with and about 2 minutes quicker than a wired mic.  Now 15 wireless mics can be a handful if you need to hook them up to the mixer every show.  (The situation of my Senior's variety show.  got that down to about 4 minutes for connecting the 14 color coded receivers.)

Greg C.:
My experience with rechargeable batteries in wireless mics is that the two don't mix. New rechargeable don't last as long as standard batteries and aged ones can avalanche to low output unexpectedly and ruin a show. And no two rechargeables in the same batch seem to age at the same rate. Some start losing charge holding ability very fast. We had a local theater company here insist on trying them in their AT and Sennheiser headset packs and it was a disaster. And this was after months of experimenting during rehearsals with different brands of high end rechargeables. As sound designer, I finally insisted that they only use ProCell batteries from then on and to throw them away after every single performance. They agreed after several embarrassments. You can't fuck around with batteries in mission critical situations IMO.

sam.spoons:

--- Quote from: Greg C. on June 28, 2014, 04:43:23 PM ---My experience with rechargeable batteries in wireless mics is that the two don't mix. New rechargeable don't last as long as standard batteries and aged ones can avalanche to low output unexpectedly and ruin a show. And no two rechargeables in the same batch seem to age at the same rate. Some start losing charge holding ability very fast. We had a local theater company here insist on trying them in their AT and Sennheiser headset packs and it was a disasters. And this was after months of experimenting during rehearsals with different brands of high end rechargeables. As sound designer, I finally insisted that they only use ProCell batteries from then on and throw them away after every single performance. They agreed after several embarrassments. You can't fuck around with batteries in mission critical situations IMO.

--- End quote ---

And the used ones will keep the crew in TV remote batteries for the rest of the year  8)

Wynnd:
One more thing.  You have to keep alkalines in the original box or battery holder to prevent shorting.

sam.spoons:
The same applies to rechargeable's (I have experienced the hot feel of a shorted PP3 in my change pocket only once, the much deformed battery still works, surprisingly), but, where else would you keep them anyway?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version