Author Topic: The mackie dl1608 white noise saga! (A new member, who has been a lurker)  (Read 53306 times)

iBloke

Re: A new member, who has been a lurker.
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2014, 02:00:55 AM »

Hey iBloke, 

I run very similar configuration. IPad 3 docked and an iPad Air remote. Get yourself an Apple Airport Express and you will never have WiFi issues. Also, it supports dual band 2.4 and 5 GHz

G'day Harpman :)

I originally considered getting an airport express but that's an extra $119 I don't have right now. Maybe down the track I'll grab one, especially if my D-link gives me problems.

My DL still hasn't arrived yet so I won't be able to use it at tonight's gig.
My next gig is 6 weeks away, so I'll have plenty of time to get to know it without being under pressure at a gig.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2014, 06:04:48 AM »
My Airport Express died in the middle of a gig a couple of weeks ago.  It was still under warranty and became the first Apple product I've owned to die while in warranty.   Apple replaced it at their Apple Store.  So, they can die, but I have a fair number of Apple products, so this is unusual.

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2014, 07:54:34 AM »
Another +1 for the Airport Express. You do need to do a couple of setup things to stop it trying to find the internet but only the first time you connect it up.

iBloke

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2014, 09:43:33 AM »
My Airport Express died in the middle of a gig a couple of weeks ago.  It was still under warranty and became the first Apple product I've owned to die while in warranty.   Apple replaced it at their Apple Store.  So, they can die, but I have a fair number of Apple products, so this is unusual.
Actually while I was researching the DL I read a mountain of reviews and forum posts all over the internet and something I found odd was the seemingly more than average reports of airport express failures.

I dig apple gear and have had a mostly trouble free run, so far.

But reading relatively regular reports of airport failures kinda put me off them a bit.
We have a Billion VoIP router in our house, and the D-link in my shed.
The Billion has been 100% reliable for about 7 years.
The D-link is a bit cantankerous but has never completely failed.

Anyway, I'll see how it pans out over the next few weeks :)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 10:10:24 AM by iBloke »

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2014, 11:02:17 AM »
As an indication that I don't think this is normal.  My previous home WiFi included the previous generation Airport Express and it's replacement is a Time capsule.  (Time Capsule doesn't have airplay available.)   Just upgrading equipment and the old Airport Express still works years after I put it into use.

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2014, 02:19:10 AM »
Apple must have sold millions of airport express so its no surprise that some of them must fail.

For what its worth I've got three of them and have had no trouble and one is very old.

Great thing about using the airport express is you can stream break music from your iPod, iPhone or iPad for break music - very handy!

I ended up buying a new one when I got my DL as the older ones don't do 5gHz.

Cheers

iBloke

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2014, 02:24:52 AM »

Great thing about using the airport express is you can stream break music from your iPod, iPhone or iPad for break music - very handy!

Cheers

I didn't know that. Great idea though!
Would save me having to swap the cable between the various iPhones punters hand me to play one of their favourite songs...which often are some hideous modern rap, or Doof garbage LOL

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2014, 02:27:56 AM »
The downside is you have to use a couple of channels as the you connect the airport express to the DL by cable.

When I am close to the DL i usually use the docked iPad to play music but for shows when I am out front I stream from my iPhone. Technology!

iBloke

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2014, 02:49:21 AM »
The downside is you have to use a couple of channels as the you connect the airport express to the DL by cable.

That's one thing that bugs me a little. It would have been nice for there to be a set of RCA inputs, or even a 3.5 mm stereo input socket, although I rarely need more than 14 channels anyway.

iBloke

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2014, 06:00:10 AM »
I'm thinking the word "chubby" would be appropriate right now :D

My DL finally arrived this morning and I've been playing with it since.

A few minor issues getting my router to work but everything seems to be good right now.

Only audio "issue" I've had so far is the dreaded blast of pink noise while playing music from my docked iPad. I've read about this before so I kinda expected it.
The reality is I'm surprised it hasn't been addressed by Mackie. It's a pretty GLARING issue, but then I'm not savvy to technical stuff like software issues so who know why it happens...

Anyway I've tested all inputs and outputs. Got my stubborn dlink router working with both iPads and my iPhone.

The obligatory picture. Yes I know my sheds messy right now but it'll get tidied up later tonight :)

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2014, 11:33:44 AM »
You'll have hours of fun with the DL. Sorry to hear you experienced the pink noise already - I've never had that one yet.

Fortunately there are many good features on the DL. I love the GEQ and PEQ and particularly the recent addition of PEQs on all the outputs.

Once you get used to the graphical displays for the EQs you'll never want to turn the knobs on an analogue mixer again.

Have fun!

iBloke

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2014, 11:40:16 AM »
You'll have hours of fun with the DL.....

Have fun!

I will !
Cheers  :)

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2014, 12:12:00 PM »
You'll have hours of fun with the DL. Sorry to hear you experienced the pink noise already - I've never had that one yet.

Fortunately there are many good features on the DL. I love the GEQ and PEQ and particularly the recent addition of PEQs on all the outputs.

Once you get used to the graphical displays for the EQs you'll never want to turn the knobs on an analogue mixer again.

Have fun!
+1
The older I get, the better I was!

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2014, 03:32:03 PM »
Welcome to Club DL. I'll be going past your way next year in Sept. to the Great Barrier for a couple of weeks. I do have one question, how hot was it in your shed when the pink noise happened? I have a theory based on past experience with other Analog Devices (AD) DSP's and ARM's the processors in the DL. I have a Berry DEQ2496 which has 2 Sharc DSP's and an ARM cpu and the unit would crash at 90-95 F ambient. A screwdriver and 3 heat sinks later solved that problem although it still could use some air vents. Haven't gotten around to fitting a fan to the DL yet to see if it will solve the problem. CPU/DSP's are graded  for speed at the factory by the amount of heat generated (impedance actually) a normal process variation. I'm thinking that AD is too close to production limits and causing this random failure.
When in doubt KISS

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2014, 09:44:28 PM »
Might that explain why some people are having this problem and others aren't (local climate/variation between units re- high temperature tolerance)? A mate of mine (who only lives a couple of miles from me) has just bought a DL1608 and experienced the dreaded white noise, I have had mine for 18 months now and, though I don't use the iPad channel for playback much, haven't had a single problem with this issue. He uses iPad3/iOS7 I use iPad2/iOS7 (docked) and iPad3/iOS6 (wireless) for most gigs.