Author Topic: Master Fader and IPad auto rotate function  (Read 4992 times)

taunouibo

• Initiate
Master Fader and IPad auto rotate function
« on: June 29, 2014, 08:48:40 PM »
Hello,

I decided to share my experience what happened on my last gig - a nightmare of every sound engineer. Try yourself (hopefully without PA): first, make sure, that you have activated your IPad's screen auto rotate function. Run the Master Fader app and drag the master fader (or any other fader) button down to near zero, keep holding your finger on fader button. Now tilt down your IPad until it automatically rotates a screen 180 degrees. Release your finger and look what happens to the fader location. Cool huh? Now you can imagine what happened on this gig...

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
Re: Master Fader and IPad auto rotate function
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 10:52:18 PM »
Interesting (and i do get how it would be areal problem if it happened mid gig), but I'm not quite sure how you'd make this happen in practice though. The solution is simple, just lock rotation (which I do anyway as I usually have 'My Lyric Book' up and running alongside MF).

workingstiff

• Youngling
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 12:36:40 AM »
Holy crap, that must've sucked!

For the curious... when the screen flips 180 degrees the fader you're holding switches from all the way down to ALL THE WAY UP

beno

• Mackie Product Manager
  • Padawan
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 01:36:32 AM »
Sorry, I missed this when you first posted it. Seems very unlikely to run into in real use but definitely I see it could cause real issues if it happened live. We'll look into if there is anything we can do.

nottooloud

• Knight
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 07:37:22 PM »
Seems very unlikely to run into in real use

As I read the original post, he's reporting it because it already happened. I could certainly see standing in a crowd mixing and letting the ipad tilt down. While I tend to keep my orientation locked, some apps want it one way and some want it another. I'd suggest a setting option to lock it to one orientation regardless.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 08:48:48 PM »
Personally I wish that Mackie had oriented the dock in the other direction.  Then it would be consistant with all my other ipad devices.  (Is that just a bad choice on my part?)

nottooloud

• Knight
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 08:57:18 PM »
Personally I wish that Mackie had oriented the dock in the other direction.  Then it would be consistant with all my other ipad devices.

Agreed. Most landscape apps seem to want the home button on the right. Not much to be done about it, though.