Author Topic: Aux pan not independent of mains  (Read 5936 times)

Fluddman

• Knight
Aux pan not independent of mains
« on: June 30, 2014, 04:20:27 AM »
I set up an IEM user with a stereo mix at a recent gig. Got them sounding fantastic by panning instruments around etc - but then noticed that the pan on the aux sends is not independent of the main outs.

I didn't realise this was the case and it sure a bit limiting and a bummer given the increase in IEMs.

Am I right on this?

Cheers

Wynnd

• Master
Re: Aux pan not independent of mains
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 08:33:58 AM »
I'll check the next time I fire mine up, but I would think that the L/R pan on a paired Aux should be independent of the L/R of L/R but not independent of the individual channel pans.  (Especially when running post fader.)   As I read your complaint, the pan of the L/R output channel controls the sound on the paired Aux out.   Mine only gets fired up about once a week right now, so it might be a few days before i can test it.  Did you try pre-fader and pre-dsp? 

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 08:49:20 AM »
Thanks Wynnd,

You indirectly solved the problem (I think).

On the drop down menu where you select pre DSP, Pre Fader, Post Fader etc - there is an option to select 'Use LR Pan'. De selecting this looks like it enables the pan to operate independently of the main output bus.

Cheers

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 08:53:57 AM »
Punny!  I forgot about that setting.  (And yea, I have seen it.)  These are all features that didn't exist when I purchased my DL last Sept.  Don't know how many other new functions we'll get, but I suspecting that development is coming to the end of its life.  Hope I'm wrong.  (Hope Mackie keeps us informed when they decide to stop making changes to Master Fader.)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 02:20:11 PM »
Not to worry Wynnd, my crystal ball says the DL will be around for at least another 4 yrs. Software updates need to happen to not cut that time short. Two major features need to be completed or fixed, record/playback on multiple channels and VCA groups.
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 02:50:54 PM »
I'm never expecting to see multi channel recording.  (I've got a mixer for that anyway.)  Not sure what VCA stands for, but groups I understand.  My Mackie CFX-12 had subgroups.  I missed them on my MixWiz.  I would use them on the DL if they become available in an upgrade.  Would also be nice if they made the phantom power only available on one bank of inputs.  (Figure that would take a hardware change.  Wonder if that's a change that could be made easily after the mixer is out of warranty?)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 04:27:59 PM »
VCA voltage controlled amplifier which in Mackies case would be software simulated or the more likely implementation of subgroups as you understand them. Actually it should have read DCA's (digitally controlled amplifiers). Subgroups would be just fine to keep up with QSC Touchmix. It probably isn't worth trying to mod for individual phantom power. I never took apart the analog section but it would take mods to the pc board that more than likely would get damaged and you would have to bring out lines to switches for individual control. On a single bank of inputs to disable phantom may be possible depending on the 48V routing, a single trace cut if your lucky. I think you'd like the QSC too bad it wasn't available 2 yrs. ago.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 05:22:02 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 10:54:04 PM »
HI WK - so you've got yourself a QSC now. How is it?

Cheers

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 12:37:59 AM »
Yup and it's great called a GX5 driving two JBL CBT-70j.  :)
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 02:30:53 AM »
As long as I don't need more than one channel with phantom power, I'm OK.  (Got a powered ART DI box with phantom power available.)   Got spoiled by the MixWiz on channel selected phantom power.  It is a feature that wouldn't cost much to implement in the next version of the DL.  If there ever is another version.  I guessing it's more likely that they'll develop a different product and possibly adapt the ipad app to it.  On the other hand, Master Fader is a nice interface for a mixer.  We live in interesting times.