Author Topic: WiFi and Apple  (Read 5448 times)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
WiFi and Apple
« on: July 06, 2014, 05:24:29 AM »
Being that the only way to communicate with the rest of the world from an iPad is via WiFi, not allowing tools to aid in the process by Apple is a major design flaw. Maybe iOS 8 will fix that problem but don't hold your breath. So your choices narrow down to Android, PC, Mac or standalone tools. By now Apple, who claims that some secret software frameworks are the reason for this, should have provided the tools themselves.  :(
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
Re: WiFi and Apple
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 09:49:40 AM »
That is how every other tablet is.   I don't understand the complaint or why it's aimed at Apple.  Wifi is a very well defined standard that the entire computer industry uses.  No secrets there.  So what would you want on an ipad that you don't have?

iBloke

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 12:43:53 PM »
Being that the only way to communicate with the rest of the world from an iPad is via WiFi...

.... ummm ..huh?

Both my iPads have SIM cards and I regularly use both 3G and 4G mobile connections for Skype (etc)

Or am I missing the point of your post?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 12:48:38 PM by iBloke »

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 02:13:35 PM »
I'm assuming the complaint is that there is no wired network port.  That would be inconvenient.  I hope he gets back to us.   I do not understand.  I could understand complaining about Mackie only supporting ios devices.  I always prefer cross platform software.  I use Cubase for a DAW and it is so cross platform that I can record or mix down on a mac or a PC or swap between them.  Usage is controlled with a license dongle so I can install the software where ever I want but only use it where the dongle is attached to a USB port.  (And I have recorded on a mac and mixed on a PC in the past.  Currently I don't use it on the PC anymore.) 

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 03:41:18 PM »
That is how every other tablet is.   I don't understand the complaint or why it's aimed at Apple.  Wifi is a very well defined standard that the entire computer industry uses.  No secrets there.  So what would you want on an ipad that you don't have?
I guess you missed the point altogether, it's about software support to find free channels for reliable WiFi communications. Such as is available for Android etc.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.srm.wifichannelanalyzer&hl=en
Yes 3G and 4G is available but currently limited to major cities and in the context of "DL" not to useful. No USB of any value is a major drawback. Not so with every other tablet.
When in doubt KISS

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 03:49:10 PM »
I guess you missed the point altogether, it's about software support to find free channels for reliable WiFi communications. Such as is available for Android etc.
It was available for iOS but Apple booted it from the app store - it is still available if you jailbreak - but 2.4GHz only :-( . Yup, Apple sucks ...

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2014, 03:54:16 PM »
And I have istumbler on my MacBook.  So far on 5 Ghz it hasn't been a problem.  Didn't look like it should have been a problem on 2.4 Ghz at my 4th of July gig, but I did have problems with that band.  My iphone 4S can't do the 5 Ghz but both my ipads can.  So airplay from my iphone was a problem.  I was able to run my ipad mini about 70' from the mixer without problems.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2014, 03:59:59 PM »
You actually found a shortcoming to complain about.  As I understand it, Apple pulled the app because it thought people were using it to invade other people's WiFi.  There ought to be some way of installing unapproved apps without jailbreaking the ipad.  (Will probably spend a bit of time looking that up.)   Does the airport utility provide any of this being you need it to reset your Apple Wifi router anyway?

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2014, 05:26:14 PM »
I'll save you the time Wynn there is no way other than jailbreak and no the PR reason for removing the apps is a joke. The real reason as I stated above is that they would have to expose more of their low level services than they wanted to. Their failure to provide a solution is the flaw. I don't believe any of the jailbreak apps handle the 5 Gig range. As to the complaint, I can't believe a company (Mackie) would choose such a restricted control device as it's only source of control for their product.
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2014, 10:41:00 PM »
I've given the ios choice a lot of thought and my take is that because it's very consistent across the generations compared to Android or Linux, it has to be the preferred device to program to.  It's a lot like the difference between Mac's and PC's.  PCs try to be everything to everybody on every type of hardware.  That's a huge amount of flexibility required and probably the greatest reason that PCs suffer more software failures than Macs.  (My take is that the hardware failures are comparable.)   Macs generally don't try to be anything other than a Mac.  It's why a dead pointing device is a major failure.   With a PC, you can live without a mouse.  Not so with a Mac, because nearly all Mac software depends upon its availability.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2014, 12:31:56 AM »
Wynnd it's not about your choices and I'm glad your satisfied with Apple, but about Mackie's choice. It's not about hardware or software failures it's about services to do a job. Why if I have a capable computer to control a device do I need another one because someone at Apple deems it not necessary to provide an obvious service, worse blocked it? Mackie provides no alternative. Add up all the equipment required to have a reliable mixer and you'll find the DL to be very expensive. Providing an open platform is not trying to be everything to everybody but instead provides more choices and flexibility. Apple on the other hand decides what you need for you and if that meets your needs and your OK with that great, I'm not.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 12:44:53 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2014, 01:11:11 AM »
I get your anger.  You don't have to purchase anything Apple.  And you don't have to have a DL1608 or a Mackie mixer at all.  There are a lot of good looking mixers coming out or rumored to be coming out.  Hate Fords?  Don't buy one.  Hate Chevys ?  Don't buy one.  Just want to whine and complain about a product?  Maybe Facebook is a better place for that.  Know anything about Michelin Commander II tires?  I've been trying to find out the dirt on them and  it seems a bit hidden.  (Or nearly non-existant.)  I put one on the back of my motorcycle and I'm not sure I did enough research prior to the purchase.  On the other hand, it feels good and I'm about to leave on a motorcycle trip that might be 3000 miles.  (Or more.)  It will probably be OK.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2014, 01:30:03 AM »
No anger here, just have a nice trip and come back in one piece. Mackie sanitized their Facebook page in case you didn't notice.  ;)
When in doubt KISS

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2014, 10:10:52 PM »
In my eyes Mackie went from being brilliant with their excellent forums and constant feedback from high level staff (thanks BenO) to being the devil incarnate after their disgraceful shut down of said forums. I was and still am totally disillusioned by this. I like my DL a lot, it's a very good mixer but the lack of feedback regarding the current crop of issues is very worrying and despite not suffering any of them (so far) I am probably going to buy another digital desk soon for bigger gigs and may relegate the DL to backup (if I think I can still trust it enough).

OTOH I always have my old Mackie 1202 in the car as a basic, vox only, backup and have done so from well before I bought the DL, analogue desks fail too :) I'm doing more bigger gigs these days though so the 1202 is probably not enough to get me out of trouble any more.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2014, 11:30:39 PM »
I agree with you Sam but on the other hand they helped launch a manufacturer independent site (Thanks RR ) to deal with this product. Yes there are fan-boys and other distractions here but for the most part it's helpful facts and real world experiences.
When in doubt KISS