Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

WiFi and Apple

<< < (2/4) > >>

RoadRanger:

--- Quote from: WK154 on July 06, 2014, 03:41:18 PM ---I guess you missed the point altogether, it's about software support to find free channels for reliable WiFi communications. Such as is available for Android etc.
--- End quote ---
It was available for iOS but Apple booted it from the app store - it is still available if you jailbreak - but 2.4GHz only :-( . Yup, Apple sucks ...

Wynnd:
And I have istumbler on my MacBook.  So far on 5 Ghz it hasn't been a problem.  Didn't look like it should have been a problem on 2.4 Ghz at my 4th of July gig, but I did have problems with that band.  My iphone 4S can't do the 5 Ghz but both my ipads can.  So airplay from my iphone was a problem.  I was able to run my ipad mini about 70' from the mixer without problems.

Wynnd:
You actually found a shortcoming to complain about.  As I understand it, Apple pulled the app because it thought people were using it to invade other people's WiFi.  There ought to be some way of installing unapproved apps without jailbreaking the ipad.  (Will probably spend a bit of time looking that up.)   Does the airport utility provide any of this being you need it to reset your Apple Wifi router anyway?

WK154:
I'll save you the time Wynn there is no way other than jailbreak and no the PR reason for removing the apps is a joke. The real reason as I stated above is that they would have to expose more of their low level services than they wanted to. Their failure to provide a solution is the flaw. I don't believe any of the jailbreak apps handle the 5 Gig range. As to the complaint, I can't believe a company (Mackie) would choose such a restricted control device as it's only source of control for their product.

Wynnd:
I've given the ios choice a lot of thought and my take is that because it's very consistent across the generations compared to Android or Linux, it has to be the preferred device to program to.  It's a lot like the difference between Mac's and PC's.  PCs try to be everything to everybody on every type of hardware.  That's a huge amount of flexibility required and probably the greatest reason that PCs suffer more software failures than Macs.  (My take is that the hardware failures are comparable.)   Macs generally don't try to be anything other than a Mac.  It's why a dead pointing device is a major failure.   With a PC, you can live without a mouse.  Not so with a Mac, because nearly all Mac software depends upon its availability.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version