Author Topic: For all the naysayers,, I love this board  (Read 26962 times)

yigba

• Padawan
Re: For all the naysayers,, I love this board
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2014, 10:47:57 PM »
At the end of the day I wanted more features than the DL1608 could offer so buying the Qu-16 was the right decision. That said, I wasn't hurting for dough when I bought the Qu-16 and would have kept the DL1608 in a heartbeat had it been a viable board. Even if I could get it to connect eventually, I simply didn't want to show up to the gig 15 minutes earlier to troubleshoot the mixer every time I wanted to use it.

]I tried for months to remedy the issues. A 50% "first try"success connection percentage is not good. Russian roulette pink noise blasts, not good. Random connection drops, even when docked, not good. Even if it's something specific to my ipads, those are the ipads I have so they become the mixer's problem. We do around 30 "high profile" gigs per year (weddings, corporate, private) where technical issues simply aren't tolerated. We're under enough stress to be "perfect" as it is without purposely introducing problems. I love the idea of the board, but the mixer is a mission critical piece and it would have been irresponsible to have continued to use it.

To use a less than $1,000 board for high profile gigs to me is a bit "absurd" - pun intended of course. :) Use it and like it for what it is - a run your own sound mixer.

For high profile/sound company stuff I would not be penny wise and pound foolish. I'd go AH QU-16 or Soundcraft boards for that type of stuff.

abzurd

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2014, 12:18:53 AM »
At the end of the day I wanted more features than the DL1608 could offer so buying the Qu-16 was the right decision. That said, I wasn't hurting for dough when I bought the Qu-16 and would have kept the DL1608 in a heartbeat had it been a viable board. Even if I could get it to connect eventually, I simply didn't want to show up to the gig 15 minutes earlier to troubleshoot the mixer every time I wanted to use it.

]I tried for months to remedy the issues. A 50% "first try"success connection percentage is not good. Russian roulette pink noise blasts, not good. Random connection drops, even when docked, not good. Even if it's something specific to my ipads, those are the ipads I have so they become the mixer's problem. We do around 30 "high profile" gigs per year (weddings, corporate, private) where technical issues simply aren't tolerated. We're under enough stress to be "perfect" as it is without purposely introducing problems. I love the idea of the board, but the mixer is a mission critical piece and it would have been irresponsible to have continued to use it.

To use a less than $1,000 board for high profile gigs to me is a bit "absurd" - pun intended of course. :) Use it and like it for what it is - a run your own sound mixer.

For high profile/sound company stuff I would not be penny wise and pound foolish. I'd go AH QU-16 or Soundcraft boards for that type of stuff.

So you're saying that the DL is expected to be reliable only to a certain price point of a paid gig? We do run our own sound. What's that have to do with a reliable mixer? It should work regardless of whether I'm doing a $500 bar gig or a $5000 wedding. The mixer doesn't know what we're being paid.
Besides that, my Qu-16 cost me a little under $1500. The MAP price of my DL1608 was $999 when I bought it. An ipad is $400 - $800. I can use an ipad with the Qu, but I MUST use an ipad with a DL so I'll count that as part of the cost of the board as there are no controls otherwise. So chances are the DL board you are using costs as much or more than the Qu I'm using. So what's your point exactly?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 01:09:54 AM by abzurd »

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2014, 12:25:14 AM »
Yigba your not getting this. You're a Guitarist and lead singer, would you play your guitar with broken stings or sing flat and try to blame it on the mic? Off course not. Most of us here take pride in our work product and anything that takes away from it will be removed when possible. I have been one step ahead of DL problems mostly by dumb luck and have no desire to let it  affect my work now that I know its limitations. Will  you and others also stop calling your L or R sub/tops setup "aux", it has nothing to do with aux.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 12:36:34 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

yigba

• Padawan
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2014, 12:35:19 AM »
I'm getting it fine, thank you. The unit works fine for me and I posted accordingly. If I ruffled feathers because I like the DL1608 then so be it.

And while we're being cute with our words the two of you may want to check how to utilize "your" and "you're" when typing something.

yigba

• Padawan
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2014, 12:37:14 AM »
Will  you and others also stop calling your L or R sub/tops setup "aux", it has nothing to do with aux.

FYI - the "aux" you refer to refers to aux fed subs. It has everything to do with "aux".

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2014, 12:43:20 AM »
So you're not running for example subs off L and tops off R?
When in doubt KISS

abzurd

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2014, 01:16:09 AM »
I'm getting it fine, thank you. The unit works fine for me and I posted accordingly. If I ruffled feathers because I like the DL1608 then so be it.

And while we're being cute with our words the two of you may want to check how to utilize "your" and "you're" when typing something.

Yes, I caught that before reading your post. I was writing hastily as I couldn't believe you're... I mean.. your post  ;)  I not meaning to argue with you, but you simply don't get it. If your board behaved like my board did then you'd feel like I do. You are having no issues so OF COURSE you are happy with the board. I hold nothing against you, wish you the best,  and am very happy that it is working for you. Why can't you understand that those of us with problems have an ax to grind? We aren't making these things up. I have videos of the thing blowing up and Mackie has admitted the problems. Why are you acting like our gripes are unfounded?

stevegarris

• Knight
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2014, 01:39:58 AM »
So you're not running for example subs off L and tops off R?

Yes we are. It is similar to an aux fed sub routine, only easier because it does not require flipping to another page.
This method works surprisingly well and I will continue to recommend it - whatever you want to call it.

yigba

• Padawan
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2014, 02:21:23 AM »
And you control both highs and lows with the main fader.

I do understand the gripes and the negative views by those who experienced that. If that happened to me I would have returned the unit and bought the one that had better features, brand name, etc, and of course cost more, like many of you have done.

Again, I simply posted that I love the unit, that's all.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2014, 02:22:53 AM »
You mean like this?
http://cacophony.aspinock.com/index.php?topic=659.msg6212#msg6212
Which I've used for quite some time even in the analog world.
In my moneymaking world IT a "sub routine" is something completely different. Never heard it in pro audio unless your talking software. I'm curious as to where these terms came from or are you just plying your artistic license? You are correct about aux fed subs apparently a Peavey concoction implemented with mains and aux.  Aux being used for the subs in the analog world. This is a mains fed sub as implemented and yes it avoids layer changes on the iPad.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 07:11:20 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2014, 09:07:38 AM »
Hey guys using LR sub/mains split - don't you find it hard to get a precise setting with such a small slider with limited travel?
The older I get, the better I was!

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2014, 03:00:28 PM »
Yup strictly by ear, analog was much easier with dual main faders instead of pan.
When in doubt KISS

yigba

• Padawan
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2014, 04:02:48 PM »
Hey guys using LR sub/mains split - don't you find it hard to get a precise setting with such a small slider with limited travel?

This is actually the first time I used this method based on th einfo from this board. On my MixWiz I used the "normal" aux fed sub routine - not based on panning but based on the aux out.

I haven't run into an issue as I balance the sound with the amp attenuators. I actually much prefer having the ability to control the volume with the master fader.

My entire setup is the DL1608, a BSS FDS-336, 2 Crown XLS1500's and an Ashly KLR-2000. I used to have comp's, eq's, etc. And as I said with BFM speakers I was probably at not even half way volume on my amps at the outdoor festival we played. An amazingly light system that sounds great and is loud as he!!.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 04:10:04 PM by yigba »

stevegarris

• Knight
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2014, 06:20:35 PM »
You mean like this?
http://cacophony.aspinock.com/index.php?topic=659.msg6212#msg6212
Which I've used for quite some time even in the analog world.
In my moneymaking world IT a "sub routine" is something completely different. Never heard it in pro audio unless your talking software. I'm curious as to where these terms came from or are you just plying your artistic license? You are correct about aux fed subs apparently a Peavey concoction implemented with mains and aux.  Aux being used for the subs in the analog world. This is a mains fed sub as implemented and yes it avoids layer changes on the iPad.

Now you're getting the picture!

stevegarris

• Knight
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2014, 06:21:41 PM »

No problem at all. I have the kick drum, keys & bass guitar centered, and all others panned hard right. it's very easy.