Author Topic: For all the naysayers,, I love this board  (Read 27281 times)

abzurd

Re: For all the naysayers,, I love this board
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2014, 06:27:49 PM »
Hey guys using LR sub/mains split - don't you find it hard to get a precise setting with such a small slider with limited travel?

No problem at all. I have the kick drum, keys & bass guitar centered, and all others panned hard right. it's very easy.

Just some food for thought. Typically you'd not want all things going to the subs to be centered. Part of the benefit of feeding the subs separately is that you can "season to taste" each instrument.

At "center" you're getting equal amounts of signal going to the tops and subs and it should sound reasonably good if your gain structure is correct, but you can fine tune by panning off center. It would be no different than using Aux fed subs and having each channels aux set differently. What you're doing now is like setting them all the same.

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2014, 07:31:10 PM »
Using l/r to set subs is rediculous. I doubt you are using all of your auxes.

stevegarris

• Knight
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2014, 07:31:18 PM »
Hey guys using LR sub/mains split - don't you find it hard to get a precise setting with such a small slider with limited travel?

No problem at all. I have the kick drum, keys & bass guitar centered, and all others panned hard right. it's very easy.

Just some food for thought. Typically you'd not want all things going to the subs to be centered. Part of the benefit of feeding the subs separately is that you can "season to taste" each instrument.

At "center" you're getting equal amounts of signal going to the tops and subs and it should sound reasonably good if your gain structure is correct, but you can fine tune by panning off center. It would be no different than using Aux fed subs and having each channels aux set differently. What you're doing now is like setting them all the same.

My main purpose for doing this is to keep unwanted things out of the sub's. Yes, if I want I can move the pan control for more or less bass response, but with the amazing EQ controls on this board that is not really necessary. In addition, I'm using a matched system of PRX tops and sub's, so the balance is very good. I set my top & sub volumes at the speaker backs in each room by ear.

stevegarris

• Knight
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2014, 07:32:07 PM »

Maybe to you it is, but for me it works perfectly and sounds great.

abzurd

« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2014, 07:49:08 PM »

What's ridiculous about it? It's perfectly fine if you're running mono anyway. I used to do it all the time with my Mixwizard. I was using all of my auxes on EFX and monitor sends. If I had a free aux though I'd certainly use it for aux feeding versus panning, especially on the DL where the pan controls are quite small. But there's nothing inherently wrong with doing it that way.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2014, 08:22:19 PM »

I got it long time ago but now it's your turn. You are feeding the low frequency (kick, keys, bass) into the tops and subs and the balance into the tops. Not exactly what was originally intended which was to keep the lows out of the tops and only into the subs as well as the main mix out of the subs. Hence the ability to balance the two to your liking. Lots of opinions here. Dave Rat (RHCP) adjusts for the song type so for him it needs to be readily available not fixed at setup certainly not by changing amp attenuation. Here's Peavey's take on this.
http://peavey.com/support/technotes/concepts/AUX_SUBs.pdf
We all keep learning and have opinions.

When in doubt KISS

stevegarris

• Knight
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2014, 09:14:24 PM »

I got it long time ago but now it's your turn. You are feeding the low frequency (kick, keys, bass) into the tops and subs and the balance into the tops. Not exactly what was originally intended which was to keep the lows out of the tops and only into the subs as well as the main mix out of the subs. Hence the ability to balance the two to your liking. Lots of opinions here. Dave Rat (RHCP) adjusts for the song type so for him it needs to be readily available not fixed at setup certainly not by changing amp attenuation. Here's Peavey's take on this.
http://peavey.com/support/technotes/concepts/AUX_SUBs.pdf
We all keep learning and have opinions.

Correct again!

yigba

• Padawan
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2014, 02:09:53 AM »

I prefer having the fader on one screen. To each his own.

mtsens1

• Padawan
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2014, 06:42:08 PM »
Ditto to the OP subject matter of this thread. Had mine for two months now, not a single hick-up, docked or un-docked, however I do tend to use mainly un-docked attached to my mic stand in an ipad holder. This is great for me in my 4 piece band which I play bass and do the live sound. This is where I think this unit shines.

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2014, 08:14:13 PM »
Like I’ve mentioned before in some of my many small novels I posted in the past, I’ve used the school’s DL for a few concerts and it has run flawlessly. I am impressed to say the least after my past DL ownership fiasco. I got to use one of the good ones. I am also impressed with Mackie’s (Beno’s) interest in good customer service, trying to nail down a particularly frustrating white noise issue. I am pleasantly surprised that Beno actually created and posted here. 

Here's the link just in case you are new here: http://cacophony.aspinock.com/index.php?topic=703.0

Taking a personal interest like this says something for the company in my mind. I think they are trying hard to resolve issues and make a better product in the DL series in particular. I’d keep my eye on future developments! Almost makes you want to consider Mackie for any future "Sound Investments"  :P  Pun intended!
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

stevegarris

• Knight
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2014, 10:02:45 PM »
Just got home from an awesome outdoor show with a Beatles band at Google. They had us play up on a balcony overlooking the courtyard. I would have been there all day dropping a snake and setting up a sound board and processing gear. The DL worked flawlessly. It would disconnect while I went down below via an elevator, then reconnect as soon as I stepped outside. It was fantastic being able to roam the crowd while I mixed.

Also impressed with my lightweight PRX system. Covered the small crowd of about 200 -250 perfectly.

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2014, 10:30:57 PM »
stevegarris;

The wireless feature is the best!!! I love roaming while tuning the room! People are always blown away when they find out I'm not just playing on my iPod Touch/iPad and actually running the sound by remote! No more sitting at a desk, stuck amongst audience members crowding you out, especially at elementary school events. OIY. I can plunk myself down on a chair at the back of the venue. Ah, the "Smell of the Crowd and the Roar of the Grease Paint!"  ;)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 10:32:46 PM by Keyboard Magic »
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2014, 04:02:02 PM »
Here's an interesting review of the DL. The reviewer had the nerve (Yeah!!!!) to call it like he saw it. Too bad he didn't get a blast of DL noise. I wonder what he would have written then. As is he wrote that he could not take it beyond practice sessions to a live performance, smart man.
http://www.harmonycentral.com/expert-reviews/mackie-dl806-digital-mixer---by-craig-vecchione

When in doubt KISS

mtsens1

• Padawan
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2014, 04:58:40 PM »
At the risk of getting cussed out and ridiculed by a handful of unhappy users on this board, I wonder why they don't just get rid of their POS and leave this board? I would for any product/company I was that dissatisfied with. Seems any time someone has something good to say, they jump in with their individual problems with their unit. It's getting old for me, and I just got here. Seems every thread is hijacked by a few unhappy peeps. Just saying...Peace!

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2014, 05:05:18 PM »
You won't get cussed out etc. your entitled to your opinion, so now what do you have to contribute to a solution or any other useful hints or to better utilize the DL? If it's warm and fuzzy your looking for there's  Mackie Facebook.
When in doubt KISS