Author Topic: For all the naysayers,, I love this board  (Read 27272 times)

mtsens1

• Padawan
Re: For all the naysayers,, I love this board
« Reply #60 on: July 28, 2014, 04:31:59 PM »
Magic,

I believe the issues you and others have may be specific to the ipad model. At least I haven't heard complaints with new ipad models and new DL's...so the survey BenO is doing may shed some light. I hope he shares the results. I guess using an OEM product as an integral part of your product will alway's be problematic. Reminds me of previous work supporting modems and networks...the problem was never the phone companies...the problems seemed to resolve themselves after you escalate Ma Bell.  :(

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2014, 04:57:06 PM »
Well said KM, I'm glad you've had the chance to see the good side of the DL. I also carry a backup desk, my old 1202, which would at least allow the show to go on (kick vox and keys throughout the desk everything else will have to take care of itself). Not ideal but the desk (whatever it is) is the only thing I have not got more than one of on a gig. I certainly trust the DL as much as I would any other low/mid price digital desk (and I have heard of LS9's crashing) and even analogue gear can fail.

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2014, 05:14:24 PM »
mtsens1

You maybe onto something there. I am using 2 iPad2s 30 pin dock connector undocked. Both are working well with the newer DL, also 30 pin. I wonder if I decided to dock one iPad all the time, will issues occur with this newer DL? More than likely. Hopefully not, fingers, eyes and toes crossed.  ;) Sure couldn't do any mixing at that point though.  :lol:

There haven't been too many posts here about Lightning Dock DL's. Are these users having the same issues? I would really like to find out. Better start Googling I guess.

Sam, thank you. I agree that it is as good as any low/mid priced digital desk. And yes, even the ole' reliable gear can fail at the most inconvenient times, just like anything.  :)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 05:21:50 PM by Keyboard Magic »
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2014, 06:50:35 PM »
When I buy my Berry X32 Compact the DL will be my backup on bigger gigs (which I use the DL for now) and my bar gig desk with the 1202 as backup) that way I'll always have a backup with enough channels to do a proper job.  8)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2014, 09:22:56 PM »
KM the subject has been thoroughly covered here with at at least 7+ threads (lost count) and yes at one time the lightning connector was hoped to solve the problem, unfortunately it did not.
When in doubt KISS

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #65 on: July 29, 2014, 12:31:41 AM »
WK,

Thank you for the clarification on that.  :-[ I actually did say, I'd better start Googling aka: searching  :). Oh well I guess we'll have to wait for Mackie to iron out the bugs, hopefully soon? Guess not huh?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 01:13:43 PM by Keyboard Magic »
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #66 on: August 24, 2014, 08:23:50 PM »
Let me start by stating that I have no where near the knowledge that other posters have on this board. All the graphs,charts, formulas have minimal meaning to me.  I am not, repeat not a professional sound tech, nor is it my primary source do income. The others here simply amaze me at there awesome knowledge and help they are able to provide to novices like me. For that I am eternally grateful!
I am the average weekend warrior that beside playing drums in an occasional working band often is hired to run sound for others. I simply have a good ear and ability to know how to make things sound well mixed. I possess a decent working knowledge of systems and own enough gear to do a medium size gig with up to 4 monitors.
I work this as a fun social, way to generate a few dollars that fund my toys.

That being said, I like the DL a hell of a lot, I have had no real problems except my sticky button episode last week that never occurred since. I did not buy this to be a end all perfect system, I liked the wireless aspect and getting rid of all the outboard gear and snakes. Yes, I dumped a STudio live as a trade in for this.  I don't regret the decision at all and I would replace this with another DL again if it was ever lost or broken. I don't use the iPad music function other then running music prior to show time and during breaks and I have never had the dreaded white noise issue. I do however carry a spare Yamaha board just in case, but it's in my gear van anyway the same as I carry a few extra speakers, cords, power amps.

For my needs it's a perfect board, in over 60 shows I have never had a problem and any screw ups were my own stupid fault. I still would recommend this board to others.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 09:47:01 PM by Rdmitch »
Your never to old to learn something stupid

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #67 on: August 30, 2014, 01:14:07 PM »
Just a quick follow up, while I'm still liking the DL, I finally got a chance to run a X-32 last night. The house sound company allowed me to do the mix for the band that I work with all summer and I have to admit there is just nothing that compares to real faders!
While I miss the ability to wander the house, and I know it is possible with the X32 with the proper set up, it was still a lot of fun. Glad they hung close by to assist in setting up the matrix' sorry I would have been lost.
My 10 minute crash course only scratched the surface of the capabilities of this bad boy. Other then finding the controls to feel a bit cheap, and the  mike input locks a bit hard to release (yes, they were falling apart on a month old board) I was impressed with the quality of the sound and the flexibility of the board.
Your never to old to learn something stupid