Author Topic: Non-interleaved outputs when a recording is created with DL Series???  (Read 2387 times)

Keyboard Magic

• Master
Just saw this on the DL series features request website....

“In the latest firmware, DL 1608 will only save the recording as an interleaved stereo file. Apparently, the assumption is that what you record on the DL will be the final version. A lot of us use the DL as a location recorder and then complete the production on a DAW. An interleaved file is useless for that.”

Is this true and if so, does it really make any difference to recording and editing the final file? If you even want to, of course. I know that many here do record and do not record with the DL, so there will be many interesting comments to come. Was this anonymous poster just blowing smoke? I hope it’s not one of the members here that posted. If so I apologize for the “blowing smoke” reference.

If this method of recording is the norm for the DL, is this another small faux pas on Mackie’s part? Oh yes, one should never ever believe everything that is posted as true without lots of research and empirical evidence from people who really do have more experience (than myself in particular) in these areas. I look forward to hearing from the pros here.
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
Looking at UserVoice on the Mackie site is a waste of time. Marijuana is now legal in a lot of states and a good stock buy (legal disclaimer here). I don't have a clue as to what an interleaved audio file is, audio is not video. A audio stream is interleaved but every DAW/editor knows how to identify and deal with that. The DL recording will provide 2 channels (L&R) of audio how it is composed (content) is up to you (Dual Mono or Stereo).
When in doubt KISS

Keyboard Magic

• Master
Blowing smoke indeed!!   :P

I know this doesn't really matter to most of us, but here is a quote from Sweetwater....

"Interleaved Stereo: A stereo sound file or digital recording where the data making up the left and right channels are mixed together as one contiguous block of data. Interleaved stereo files are common in the DAW world, but are also utilized in R-DAT recorders, and other digital tape machines."

Like you said WK.  ;) As long as it works, right?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 01:47:14 PM by Keyboard Magic »
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
I wouldn't leave anything to Sweetwater least of all being the authoritative source of information. Yeah we have one of those we'll put it on time payments. :)
When in doubt KISS