Author Topic: Video?  (Read 7736 times)

monthlymixcd

• Charter Member
  • Padawan
  • Rink Rash is Sexy. Support Your Local Roller Girls
Video?
« on: April 21, 2010, 02:05:48 PM »
Who records video of your gigs? What do you use to do this?

(Thinking of trying to get some usable clips for a demo and bad lighting always seems to be an issue.)

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
Re: Video?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 04:40:34 PM »
I think bad video is worse than no video for selling yourself. Even if the video is good the sound has to be good too or it just sux. You really have to do a multitrack off the board and mix it down in protools or some such later.

I had a portable 24 track for this but folks really don't want to pay what it costs for all that :(. It's a lot cheaper to just do some demo audio tracks at a local studio. I really think it would a great sales tool for a band to have some well produced live audio or video but yah gotta pay the big $$$ for it. I was only looking to get $200 above the normal sound gig price to provide a 16 track recording on a 20gb hard drive (about 4 hours of capacity) but then you'd have to bring it to a mixdown studio - maybe $50 minimum a song for that?

monthlymixcd

• Charter Member
  • Padawan
  • Rink Rash is Sexy. Support Your Local Roller Girls
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 05:25:30 PM »
I totally agree...

We already record every gig with a Phonic Helix to 18 tracks and can mix down a live gem (like we ever really have one) at will... which we would sync with whatever video we'd take... IF we could ever get decent footage. Maybe we shouldn't care? Maybe we should all don helmet cams for a few tracks and record whatever that captures?!? (Me staring at the board... our guitarist at his shoes, etc.) We're not try to do an OkGo video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qybUFnY7Y8w)... just to convey the feeling of our live shows.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 05:41:30 PM by RoadRanger »

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 05:40:17 PM »
Awesome video! Don't forget that you can embed YouTube videos here 8) .

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qybUFnY7Y8w" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qybUFnY7Y8w</a>
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 05:45:28 PM by RoadRanger »

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 05:43:57 PM »
Do you have any video to share with us so's we can see how you are doing it now? In general you want to reduce the contrast of your stage by using more wash light than normal - even if it has to be always on.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 05:47:54 PM by RoadRanger »