Author Topic: DL24R  (Read 6042 times)

terrysisco

• Youngling
DL24R
« on: November 19, 2014, 11:21:27 PM »
Hey All,
1st time poster, long time reader (and learner) and DL1608 Owner for about a year now (since February).

Still mastering the 2.1.1 version of Master Fader and am really digging what 3.0 is going to offer for the 1608.  I understand that a "32" version of this mixer makes sense for larger pro use, but for my (and I think I speak for alot of folks in my same situation) needs it's a bit much to spend to get the features.  Small band (5 piece), all direct with guitar/bass pre's into FOH.  The 1608 is close to being not quite enough (on real estate and features) where the 32 is too much real estate (but perfect on features and total wireless control... and the multi-channel recording).  So for that reason, I think there's a market for a mid-sized version of the 32.  DL24 or DL18, that has all the bells and whistles of the 1608 but just in a smaller package and price.  Migrating from the 1608 to the 32 at twice the price is a bit much for a group of our size to justify.

I am totally sold on Mackie's commitment to its customers and love their products.  Hoping they're at least thought-boarding a mid-sized product to fill that gap between the 1608 and the 32.

Cheers to everyone and thanks for all the great info and advice over these past months... they've been life-savers...

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
Re: DL24R
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 03:17:47 AM »
Yah, I'd definitely like to see more digital mixers in the 24 channel space.  The X32 Rack is selling well with its 16 XLR plus 6 line inputs = 22 channels. I think there's also a separate talkback channel, dunno if it can be used as a normal input?

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 04:37:03 AM »
I would fully expect if the DL32R sells very well that a 24 channel version would be in the offing.  On the other hand, $2000 isn't a lot of money for this level of mixer.  And as far as your 5 person group, get a sub mixer for the drums and then 16 channels should work out quite well.  (Unless you have Keith Emerson's keyboard setup.)  5 vocals, bass, guitar, keyboard, guitar and stereo for drums and a separate kick = 12 channels leaving 4 for additional instruments.  (Or one for airplay.)

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 10:52:09 AM »
Well I know it's getting a bit old now, but there are plenty of 1u racks with 8 mic pre amps, usb and FireWire and optical out,

When is someone going to figure out that people who purchased this gear don't want to bin it, but want to use it with their expanding amount of kit?

Or why not a brand specific  8 ch expander for the dl range, same with the Berry x etc?

Kev

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 11:00:48 AM »
If the Berry S16 had an ADAT in or two then an ADA8000 would do that job nicely, sadly it only has ADAT outputs. The X32 Rack (and Compact & Producer) can do ADAT I/O with the addition of an X-ADAT at £250ish but then you have to give up USB recording to get it. I suppose it may be possible to configure the network port on the DL to do something but I doubt it.

terrysisco

• Youngling
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 04:25:46 PM »
... And as far as your 5 person group, get a sub mixer for the drums and then 16 channels should work out quite well.  (Unless you have Keith Emerson's keyboard setup.)  5 vocals, bass, guitar, keyboard, guitar and stereo for drums and a separate kick = 12 channels leaving 4 for additional instruments.  (Or one for airplay.)

1 Channel for the drums (triggers on an acoustic set)... but I have 2 channels set aside for 1 guitar (stereo) and 2 channels set aside for click track/backing tracks.  we do have a couple of channels to spare so real estate isn't the big deal for me as much as the features.. especially the virtual soundcheck... a great too so that I can record the whole band (including me) then mix the multi-track recording instead of trying to play and mix/eq at the same time.

Thanks,

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 04:47:56 PM »
Since when are stereo inputs required for guitars?  (Note: I know one song on guitar and I don't play it well.) I don't use stereo for my keyboards.  (and I could clog 6 channels if I wanted to.  The audience wouldn't be able to tell the difference, and I probably couldn't either.)  I give the mixer 2 mono feeds from my two keyboards.  Well, that's my take.  Remember that most stereo PAs are just being used as dual mono.  (Mine is usually being used that way too.)

terrysisco

• Youngling
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 04:55:52 PM »
Since when are stereo inputs required for guitars?  (Note: I know one song on guitar and I don't play it well.) I don't use stereo for my keyboards.  (and I could clog 6 channels if I wanted to.  The audience wouldn't be able to tell the difference, and I probably couldn't either.)  I give the mixer 2 mono feeds from my two keyboards.  Well, that's my take.  Remember that most stereo PAs are just being used as dual mono.  (Mine is usually being used that way too.)

Good advice (and good to know)... but as I mentioned real estate is really secondary (I mentioned having a couple of left over inputs despite the 2 inputs for guitar)... the real 'want' for me is the multi-track recording/virtual soundcheck as well as the rack mount profile (smaller footprint) of the mixer.  Not to mention the viability of a mixer that's in between the 16 and a 32.. plenty of analog mixers out there in that variety (24-ish inputs)...  I guess I could actually be satisfied with a 16R when you come right down to it... same sized mixer with more horse-power on the features side.

Thanks nonetheless for the advice on the guitar inputs... I'll most likely put it to practice.

Regards!

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 05:12:04 PM »
Generally, no one should be taking my thoughts as advice.  I think out loud a lot and won't be offended if people ignore me.  (Kind of used to that.) 

It would be nice if Mackie added 16 channel recording to the DL1608.  From what I see, that probably can't be done inside the ipad.   They would need to put an output port on the mixer.  (USB > external drive?)   Wonder how much hardware would need to be changed.  We're not going to get a software fix in this mixer.  On the other hand, MF 3.0 has made the option of recording two tracks beside playing a scratch track possible.  You can do a lot with that. 

walterw

• Padawan
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2014, 01:26:43 AM »
the 32 did seem like a big leap from the 1608; my guess is maybe they figured out that a "DL24R" would have been not much less money than the 32R anyway, so why not go big with just the one model.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2014, 02:05:41 AM »
Seems likely.  If I were going for bigger than 16 channels, I would probably consider 32 channels.  Don't want to go that direction. 

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2014, 09:49:16 AM »
Although the sensible improvement ideas have been deleted from mackies site, I am still fingers crossed for the dl 402. A killer for the  Solo vocal bingo quiz  masters.

And every bar that plays background music and sport commentary  in the world

;)

terrysisco

• Youngling
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2014, 11:48:40 PM »
I'm not looking for something bigger... just something with the same capabilities as the 32R, I just assume that if something was put out that it would be a 'tweener.  If a 16R came out that would be a perfect fit for me (and I assume a lot of others), even if it was more expensive (just not as big a leap as going to the 32R), I wouldn't mind migrating to that.