Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

The mackie DL1608 white noise saga continued..

(1/30) > >>

iBloke:
I've decided to start a new thread about this issue for several reasons.
Firstly here's where the new DL experience started to turn to crap for me http://cacophony.aspinock.com/index.php?topic=687.msg6639#msg6639

I have to mention I've been both a super moderator on various motorcycle and music forum before.
I've also spent a lot of time "steering the bus" as an admin on another music forum that uses the same "simple machines" forum software as this fine place.
So I'm fully aware of the "do a search it's been answered before" and "but you already had a thread about this why start a new one" posts from other forum members

My reason for a new thread is because of 2 things.
My replacement DL1608 also suffers from the white noise issue when playing music from the docked iPad, although no where near as much as my first one.
The new DL is also MUCH quieter in operations than the first one, as far as background hiss goes.

I've so far sent 3 emails to mackie about the issues with my first DL.

The first one was a simple bug report.

The second one I directed to Ben Olswang using the email address supplied to me here by the incredibly helpful member WK154, who has been helpful beyond what anybody could hope for, and I have the utmost respect him.

I sent a third email to Ben Olswang a few days ago expressing my extreme disappointment not only in mackie's complete lack of customer service, but also for ignoring a GLARING problem a LOT of DL owners are experiencing.
I made it clear to him that by his complete lack of of acknowledgement of my emails I regard both him and Mackie as ignorant.

I don't like being fobbed off.

Anyway both WK154 and I have both had recent emails ignored by this once great great company.

To my surprise I received an email last night directly from Ben Olswang, firstly making an apology for not replying to my emails, and secondly apologising for not yet having a resolution to the white noise problem that, "While it seems wide spread, it actually is very hard to reproduce on demand and does not occur for every user and every system." <-- his words.

Well duh! If it occurred for every user on every system mackie may well take it more seriously.

Anyway at least he hasn't denied it's existence.

..I still haven't decided whether I should take his apology seriously, or take it as a more polite way of being "fobbed off" ..
I need to give that some more thought. I've forwarded the emails to WK154 and am awaiting some consultation with him as to how to go forward.

But the reality right now is if someone dropped enough money in my hands to throw the DL in the garbage and buy an Allen & Heath QU-16 http://www.allen-heath.com/ahproducts/qu-16/ I'd jump at the opportunity and wash my hands of mackie forever.

I've been following the "For all the naysayers,, I love this board" thread here http://cacophony.aspinock.com/index.php?topic=696.0
I've seen it all before on other music forums. Someone piles the hate on because they got a piece of crap from some company.
Someone else counters with a thread about how happy they are with the same product and can't understand where the "naysayers" are coming from.

Here's the thing. The live music industry is NOT like a regular job where you can ring in sick, or your car broke down and ya just can't get to work on time..or at all, or somebody in your family died ..or whatever.
The show must go on!
That's just the way it works!

So if you are hired to supply audio gear, and/or a service in the entertainment industry, you need to make damn sure you can honour your commitment!

I've been able to honour ALL my 1000+ commitments over the past 27 years. Even when I suffered from a ruptured disk in my lower back a couple of times my colleges and good friends fronted up to do all the heavy lifting for me. Because they also understood that "the show must go on"

I've always chosen my audio gear carefully because I can't afford to have "shit go wrong" in the middle of a gig.

I should have taken more seriously the myriads of bad mackie reviews I read while researching this DL1608 abomination. ...my mistake..

I didn't. Now I'm paying the price.

The mackie DL1608 owners who refer to me as a "naysayer" would be wise to have a think about how they would feel under my circumstances.

Potential new Mackie DL1604 purchasers would also be wise to consider the consequences of using a buggy digital mixer.
The mixer is pretty much the central hub of a live gig. Broken mixer = no gig

Take a backup mixer!

I'll be doing that until I can afford the jump back to a Allen & Heath, which is a brand I can trust!

Jerrylee:
I just dropped $45k plus on a set of foh speakers. And if I still had a dl I would tust it just fine to go with my system. I never had an issue with the dl. I just outgrew it. And I never used my iPad docked.

robbocurry:
Mind telling what you bought speaker wise?

Jerrylee:
I bought a db technologies array setup. Total of 8 Dva t8s 4 t12s and 4 s20dp subs. I still have my other Foh system which is 4 qsc kw153s with 4 kw181s. And for now I am keeping the 4 k10s, 2 k12s and 1 ksub that I use for monitors. I've also used a k12 as a center fill. Eventually I will buy the db tech monitors to go with the system. But for now I just needed a bigger Foh system. I'll probably keep the kw153s for stage and side fills. Haven't decided what to do with them yet.

I got a lucky contract that included at least 6 sound gigs ranging from 5-25k. Also includes a few national act concerts. And my band will be playing in a lot of them. I'm double dipping. I went way overboard with my purchase but with all these speakers I can have many different types of setups. I may only use the full set once or twice for the contract I have now.

robbocurry:
Very impressive, I heard a demo of a DVA system and it sounded great. That's a lot of boxes for someone to hump around:)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version