Author Topic: The mackie DL1608 white noise saga continued..  (Read 77043 times)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
Re: The mackie DL1608 white noise saga continued..
« Reply #120 on: October 30, 2014, 06:48:47 PM »
To be fair it really is a 16 channel mixer just not a reliable 18 channel one as described in their spec sheet. If they had removed the record feature from the manual (one paragraphs worth) and stated balanced i/o only, none of this discussion would have taken place and a Black eye would have been averted. Just a few more feature request would have been the results. A hard lesson to learn. Did it get them more sales? I doubt it.
At what percentage of failure rate would you deem something unreliable?
It's not about numbers it's about a borderline feature that has embarrassed enough customers to warrant ~600 posts on this forum alone. An admission by Mackie that they have a problem. Who would have the actual numbers? Not even Mackie.
When in doubt KISS

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #121 on: October 30, 2014, 07:09:23 PM »
To be fair it really is a 16 channel mixer just not a reliable 18 channel one as described in their spec sheet. If they had removed the record feature from the manual (one paragraphs worth) and stated balanced i/o only, none of this discussion would have taken place and a Black eye would have been averted. Just a few more feature request would have been the results. A hard lesson to learn. Did it get them more sales? I doubt it.
At what percentage of failure rate would you deem something unreliable?
It's not about numbers it's about a borderline feature that has embarrassed enough customers to warrant ~600 posts on this forum alone. An admission by Mackie that they have a problem. Who would have the actual numbers? Not even Mackie.

Ten people, 60 posts each ;)
Or maybe 150 posts by people who actually own the mixer and 450 from those who are just along for the ride......or want to stick it to Mackie?
Unreliable it is not.
The older I get, the better I was!

Nottoodeaf

• Padawan
« Reply #122 on: October 30, 2014, 07:16:44 PM »
Keep in mind this forum probably reaches a fraction of the DL owners.  As things have been hashed out over many months the forum seems to have dwindled to a chat room for 10 or so people.   ;)  At any rate, I continue to monitor when there is an ios update or MF update.  I'm out.
Does that have to be there?  Not anymore!

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #123 on: October 30, 2014, 07:20:59 PM »
Keep in mind this forum probably reaches a fraction of the DL owners.  As things have been hashed out over many months the forum seems to have dwindled to a chat room for 10 or so people.   ;)  At any rate, I continue to monitor when there is an ios update or MF update.  I'm out.
Exactly my thinking.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #124 on: October 30, 2014, 10:12:51 PM »
The obvious cure is to remove the ipad channel.  No more white noise.  Problem cured.  I've rarely used it.  I went instead for using airplay and with one exception, airplay has worked everywhere I've tried it.  I like being able to play music while setting up.  And that takes up two channels.  (The way I do it.)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #125 on: October 30, 2014, 10:56:52 PM »
Exactly my thinking.
18,000 Visitors and counting on what certainly is not a mainstream forum about a very specific product and it's problem "white noise and sync". Do you think for one minute that your conclusions are even reasonable. I would much rather be discussing the feature set and addition of missing features than problems with this unit. That is if you can even get past the NAME issues.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 10:58:24 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

redwood

• Padawan
« Reply #126 on: October 30, 2014, 11:02:38 PM »
do those 18000 visitors have discreet IPs?

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #127 on: October 30, 2014, 11:04:43 PM »
AFAIK the forum software tracks this. Try it see if the count goes up. Be sure you flush your cache.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 11:08:04 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #128 on: October 30, 2014, 11:07:37 PM »
The obvious cure is to remove the ipad channel.  No more white noise.  Problem cured.  I've rarely used it.  I went instead for using airplay and with one exception, airplay has worked everywhere I've tried it.  I like being able to play music while setting up.  And that takes up two channels.  (The way I do it.)

That's exactly how I play walk-in-out music. Airplay and 2 channels used for it.   :thu:

Noob questions: Does the DL32R have an exclusive iPad Channel? If so, how does it work with no iPad dock?
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #129 on: October 30, 2014, 11:12:00 PM »

That's exactly how I play walk-in-out music. Airplay and 2 channels used for it.   :thu:

Noob questions: Does the DL32R have an exclusive iPad Channel? If so, how does it work with no iPad dock?
No, that's how they solved their problem. No dock connector. Only mainstream USB and Ethernet connections.
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #130 on: October 30, 2014, 11:22:09 PM »
One specific test I have no data on regarding this "white noise" issue is eliminating MF out of the mix once the initial connection setup is completed. That means making a connection with the DL then playing back music with whatever app you use and terminating MF. Does "white noise" appear after some time?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 11:24:33 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #131 on: October 30, 2014, 11:26:46 PM »
Exactly my thinking.
18,000 Visitors and counting on what certainly is not a mainstream forum about a very specific product and it's problem "white noise and sync". Do you think for one minute that your conclusions are even reasonable. I would much rather be discussing the feature set and addition of missing features than problems with this unit. That is if you can even get past the NAME issues.
I think you are deluded if you are trying to imply that 18,000 visitors have come here just to read about the mythical white noise and sync issues :facepalm:
Post some figures to back that up please.

Maybe 18000 visitors since the site started.
As mentioned earlier, all the important stuff has been sorted out and now there are just "ten" people doing all the posting!

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #132 on: October 30, 2014, 11:26:54 PM »

No, that's how they solved their problem. No dock connector. Only mainstream USB and Ethernet connections.

Thanks!   :thu:
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #133 on: October 30, 2014, 11:35:31 PM »
Exactly my thinking.
I think you are deluded if you are trying to imply that 18,000 visitors have come here just to read about the mythical white noise and sync issues :facepalm:

As mentioned earlier, all the important stuff has been sorted out and now there are just "ten" people doing all the posting!
I added up the 12 or so topics regarding "white noise and sync" and that's the number of views. You can gather your own data if you can add. It's all forum statistics. I'm sure everyone is trying to inflate the stats here. ::) I'm sure RR has access to more stats and trends about this forum.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 11:39:23 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #134 on: October 30, 2014, 11:40:43 PM »
Exactly my thinking.

That means I’m one of the 10 in a very tolerant, intelligent and professional group, of which I am very glad I’m a member of this particular forum. Haven’t regretted one moment since day one.  8)  :thu:

That was genuine, not sarcasm on my part.  :)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 11:56:36 PM by Keyboard Magic »